And So They Continue........................Fires

Mesa Vista is northeast of Woodsfords

Alpine County Sheriff's Office - Mesa Vista Mandatory Evacuation
Tamarack Fire Wildfire
Announcements – 26 min. ago
DATE: July 19, 2021
RE: Mandatory Evacuation Mesa Vista
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: ALPINE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE ORDERS THE MANDATORY EVACUATION OF MESA VISTA
The Alpine County Sheriff’s Office has ordered the mandatory evacuation of the Mesa Vista area effective 2:53 PM on July 19, 2021. They are asking all residents and visitors to safely leave the area.

I see what looks like a new fire from the Leek Springs Hill lookout :( Someone is actively moving the camera. May have seen even more than one.

I was thinking of a quick trip to Fort Churchill but I'm thinking I may just avoid the smoke in Nevada for a few days.

I'm hearing multiple starts from the thunderstorms that went through. Hopefully enough rain fell to keep them from taking off right away. More evacuations on the Dixie fire too. Only 22% containment on the bootleg fire :(

I also spotted that one on Leek Springs and passed it on. I'm hoping to get some information back.

I've heard almost daily from a friend in Winnemucca how bad the smoke has been from the Beckwourth and now Tamarack fires.

There were several blasts of thunder heard here today but no rain.

Yes, Leek Springs is also watching a smoke to the northeast. I'll run that bearing on a mapping program.

Sierra at Tahoe is zoomed with a narrow band to the southeast. I'll take that to a map also. We had a small fire a mile or so to the south of us around noon. Helicopter overhead monitoring. It is out with resources remaining on the ground watching.

Welcome to the summer of 2021.

ski3pin said:
Welcome to summer.
... of 2021, when the Anthropocene really kicks in with a vengeance. Strap in and hold on tight friends, it is going to be one heck of a ride!

As per the latest map on inciweb, the Tamarack fire's main push is to the northeast and is almost into Nevada. It may hit 395 tonight or tomorrow.

They called the one by Leek Springs the Cody fire. Another single tree east of it got the name the East fire. I hope they didn't lose any sleep over naming the fire ;)

I'm sure a few more will pop up in the next couple of days. I would think the Tamarack fire will slow down once it hits the farming areas and leaves the forested areas.

ski3pin said:
As per the latest map on inciweb, the Tamarack fire's main push is to the northeast and is almost into Nevada. It may hit 395 tonight or tomorrow.
The revised map this morning shows it not as close to the Nevada state line.

craig333 said:
I would think the Tamarack fire will slow down once it hits the farming areas and leaves the forested areas.
If this fire "hits the farming areas" and I lived in the Gardnerville Ranchos I'd be packing. But then again I packed two bags and have been essentially living out of them since some time back in May.

I have an appointment in Gardnerville this afternoon I need to cancel. If Hwy 395 closes I'd have a real long detour home and I don't think they have the personnel or equipment to stop this fire before it reaches the highway and (hopefully) slows in the multiple fire footprints in the Pine Nut range (but then again it appears the footprint of the recent East Fork Fire didn't serve as a fire break so all bets are off)

It was a 1/4 acre fire. I don't understand how allowing ANYTHING to burn is reasonable in light of the extreme drought conditions. I have several friends in the Markleeville and Woodfords area - I lived there for a while. They are in shock. When that wears off I think the Forest Service best be wearing their turn-outs for any public meeting. This is not the first time FS decisions have failed those communities.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-08-05-mn-816-story.html

Ted said:
But I suggest every person that is second guessing them step up and replace that person and be responsible for making the first call from now on.
I do not believe it is disrespectful or otherwise "wrong" to second guess but sure - I'll go right on up to the command post there in Gardnerville and tell them I am the boss now.

I'm a little confused as to why P.G&E. sponsors the cam on Hawkins Peak.

They need to clean the camera but I'm not going to volunteer to go up there right now!

Douglas County news release

MINDEN — Douglas County is asking the following communities to be on the alert and start preparing for potential evacuations.
The county, on Tuesday, emphasizes that evacuations have not been issued at this time in Douglas County, however there is potential for the Tamarack Fire to reach the following communities:
Fredricksburg Road
Foothill to Centerville Road
Holbrook
Double Spring
Ruhenstroth
Leviathan Mine
Pineview Estates
China Springs

We are asking residents to stay vigilant, pay attention to emergency phone alerts, and have a plan in place for evacuations. In addition, plan for power outages and road closures in the area. Have a transportation plan for animals and livestock. Think about fuel, medications, keepsakes, and groceries you might need. Think about your loved ones on oxygen or anyone who may need assistance leaving their home.
Should evacuations occur, you will receive an emergency alert notification on your phone, and be asked to leave your home by emergency responders. If you do not have a cell phone or landline, please keep in contact with friends, neighbors and family.
Evacuation Sites:
Douglas County Community and Senior Center (PET FRIENDLY)
1329 Waterloo Lane, Gardnerville, NV 89410
Douglas County Fairgrounds (LIVESTOCK FRIENDLY)
Pinenut Rd., Gardnerville, NV 89410
Information about the Tamarack Fire can still be received here:
Inciweb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7674/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tamarackfireinfo/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Douglascountynv
Twitter: @HumboldtToiyabe #TamarackFire
Fire Information Number: 775-446-5438
Douglas County notes this situation continues to evolve and to please check the website and respond to emergency personnel accordingly.

The Pacific Crest Trail is closed between Carson Pass (Highway 88) and Ebbetts Pass (Highway 4). Please find locations away from the fire area for your recreation opportunities.

Additional Tamarack Fire news - highway 88 is now closed from Pickets Junction to the Nevada state line.

The Hawkins Peak communication site (multiple agencies have repeater sites on Hawkins) has been pasted with retardant drops and the camera need cleaning.

Today it was reported that the Bootleg Fire in southern Oregon was caused by lightning.

Over 60 homes have been lost, and at 400,000 acres it's on track to be (at least) the 3rd biggest fire in Oregon history.

MarkBC said:
Today it was reported that the Bootleg Fire in southern Oregon was caused by lightning.

Over 60 homes have been lost, and at 400,000 acres it's on track to be (at least) the 3rd biggest fire in Oregon history.
:(

New lightning fire in Mokelumne Wilderness in Summit City Canyon below Round Top. 16 acres, it has just been posted on Inciweb - Summit Fire

I'll also attach a map I received earlier today.

Resources
2 T2 Helicopters
4 T1 Helicopters
Iron Mountain Hand Crew + 1 suppression module
Smokejumpers

A hot shot crew is enroute.

Attachments

• SummitMap07202021.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
And on the Tamarack Fire, this comes as no surprise..................

US-395 closed both directions near China Springs Road and Holbrook Jct.
Tamarack Fire Wildfire
Closures – 2 hrs. ago

US-395 is closed in both directions near China Springs Road and Holbrook Junction in Douglas County Nevada due to the Tamarack Wildfire. Watch for emergency vehicles and personnel. Use alternate routes.
Nevada Department of Transportation

Back
Top Bottom