Bendable Solar Panels and Compressor Refrigerators

Thanks for keeping us updated! Good to know they are holding up well. I'll be testing my panel again here in a few weeks as well. I'd wait on those batteries as long as you are getting enough amp hours to meet your needs. I can't imagine they would have an instant failure but they should fade out nice and slow.

Maybe this is comic relief, but am I crazy for considering using velcro to hold down my panels? I can't count how many times I've had trees and other things scratch my roof. I want to be able to charge while stopped but still be able to remove the panels for bush whacking and remote charging while parked in shade.

I would not use velcro to attach a $200 panel if I wanted to keep it in my possession:) The foldable/portable ones are good for using when camped in the shade and can be used in conjunction with a roof panel. Just my 2 cents worth :)

Thanks for the comment. Its just so hard to make space for more stuff in the campers. I wish there was a mathematical way to figure out how much strength is needed to keep the panels held tight. I think it may be worth the risk of trying for me. I can just use a ton of double lock velcro and maybe a piece of duck tape on the front to stop the wind from coming underneath the panel. It might look ghetto but its on the roof.

My other idea was a type of screen protector. That would solve one of my problems but I would still have to bring a portable panel for camping in the shade.

Do what some of the others guys do. Put 100W panel on the top and get a smaller portable to augment. That way you will almost always have some king of charge from the roof and when you are in the shade you can pull out a smaller unit. The more velcro you use to securely attach the panel the more stress you put on the panel removing it......

Good point about the stress on removal. It would have to be a fine line between having enough to hold the panel while little enough for easy removal. I would obviously just get another remote panel and be done but I really don't have enough room to store the panel. I guess I will just have to park in the sun.

What do you guys think about the screen protector idea? I wonder if we could use a sheet of 3m plastic or something. I got the idea from watching NASCAR. When they stop to pit they just remove a cover and voila, clean windows.

I have a question. Now understand I don't have a camper yet so if this sounds stupid I'm sorry. Can you park pointing towards the sun and just raise the back end of the pop up to give your panels a better angle to the sun? I don't know if that would create undue stresses over time but it would give better amperage in winter and evening sun..... Just a thought:)

Ethergore said:
... I can't count how many times I've had trees and other things scratch my roof. I want to be able to charge while stopped but still be able to remove the panels for bush whacking and remote charging while parked in shade.
One of the reasons I went with rigid panels (with hard glass) is the scratching issue.

Happyjax said:
I have a question. Now understand I don't have a camper yet so if this sounds stupid I'm sorry. Can you park pointing towards the sun and just raise the back end of the pop up to give your panels a better angle to the sun? I don't know if that would create undue stresses over time but it would give better amperage in winter and evening sun..... Just a thought:)
I have thought of the same thing. Don't know why it won't work.

I store my 100 watt bendable Renogy in the camper between the sleeping bag and the mattress. Out of the way, secure, and always with me. If not using it on top of the camper, it lays across the front seats in my truck at night if camping in non ideal circumstances related to bipedal larceny. So far, so good.

Paul

Ethergore said:
Thanks for keeping us updated! Good to know they are holding up well. I'll be testing my panel again here in a few weeks as well. I'd wait on those batteries as long as you are getting enough amp hours to meet your needs. I can't imagine they would have an instant failure but they should fade out nice and slow.
Maybe this is comic relief, but am I crazy for considering using velcro to hold down my panels? I can't count how many times I've had trees and other things scratch my roof. I want to be able to charge while stopped but still be able to remove the panels for bush whacking and remote charging while parked in shade.
I actually thought the same thing. A 2" adhesive backed Velcro around the perimeter and one down the center was my idea. Maybe an angled piece of aluminum in front to keep direct wind off of it.

I hate to think about removing a panel that has been glued down for years on that thin roof. I wouldn't remove it except for replacement any how.... Still months away from a camper for me anyway!

brianjwilson said:
I actually thought the same thing. A 2" adhesive backed Velcro around the perimeter and one down the center was my idea. Maybe an angled piece of aluminum in front to keep direct wind off of it.

I hate to think about removing a panel that has been glued down for years on that thin roof. I wouldn't remove it except for replacement any how.... Still months away from a camper for me anyway!
Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking velcro. I might take the gamble.

I read someone else saying they will just glue another panel over the old one if replacement is needed.

Ethergore,

I have the FWC aluminum rack on the roof in the rear and the panel stays down between the rails if I remember to place it there before raising the roof. Otherwise, with 12ft of cable, I put it in the sun tilted at a good angle. This works best early or late in day.

Paul

Ether,
That might have been me. I could remove the old one when it dies, however will probably just glue a new one on top of the old after prying off the wire covering block at the base....hopefully not before 10 or more years.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Ether,
That might have been me. I could remove the old one when it dies, however will probably just glue a new one on top of the old after prying off the wire covering block at the base....hopefully not before 10 or more years.
I thought that was you but couldn't remember. My head is spinning getting ready for finals week at school.

I'm thinking the most likely cause of failure on these panels will be due to the elements. Once the panels get scratched or oxidized enough they may not produce much power. Thats why I'd like to think of a good way to remove them for storage and portable charging. Either that or come up with a protective coating that can be changed.

Have you noticed any signs of oxidation or fading of the clear coat of your panel in the 6 months you have used it? Do you cover or garage your camper between trips?

Ethergore,

Please explain the basis for your concern about oxidation. As far as I am aware glass does not readily oxidize in air and neither do the Silicon cells.

Accumulating dust, dirt, scratches and molecular films like oil are another matter,

Regards,

Craig

ckent323 said:
Ethergore,

Please explain the basis for your concern about oxidation. As far as I am aware glass does not readily oxidize in air and neither do the Silicon cells.

Accumulating dust, dirt, scratches and molecular films like oil are another matter,

Regards,
Craig
I was referring to the bendable solar panels. Sorry for the confusion. My own panels that I have only used for one 17 day trip already have a good amount of scratching and I just have a general worry about how fast these panels may or may not oxidize.

I'm guessing significant scratching or oxidation may lead to early failure. The panels are still worth it due to weight and storage savings but if it can be avoided it would be great.

Ethergore,

I still do not understand the oxidation concern. The flexible panels are thin film cells. What is there to oxidize?

Regards,

Craig

ckent323 said:
Ethergore,

I still do not understand the oxidation concern. The flexible panels are thin film cells. What is there to oxidize?

Regards,
Craig
The cells are covered with a layer of plastic. Plastic plus o2= oxidation. Oxidation along with scratching can lead to less rays on the panels and less amps. I specifically speaking to my Renogy panels, not sure if other types are different.

Ethergore said:
The cells are covered with a layer of plastic. Plastic plus o2= oxidation. Oxidation along with scratching can lead to less rays on the panels and less amps. I specifically speaking to my Renogy panels, not sure if other types are different.
I'm having trouble thinking of an example of plastic oxidizing. Can you elaborate?

Alan

Back
Top Bottom