Border crossing paperwork

BCamper

Hello,

I've recently picked up a used Four Wheel Camper Hawk. In the province of British Columbia where I live campers aren't required to be registered or titled, they are simply classified as an accessory like a truck canopy or something similar. As a result I don't have any paperwork proving the camper is mine and wonder how this will go over at border crossings.

I'm looking for peoples experience crossing borders and if individuals are being asked for any paperwork on the camper itself. Most interested in the CAN/US border crossing, more specifically coming into Canada. However, any border crossing experience would be helpful.

Appreciate any responses.

Thanks.

Crossed numerous times and never asked. I do have a copy of the original paperwork from FWC with all of my special sheets. Did the original owner have paperwork. My document has a place for new buyer to write in his/her information. I would contact the distributor and also FWC Headquarters.

We've crossed to Canada numerous times and never have had questions about the truck or camper. I don't carry any paperwork other than my registration and insurance certificate. I did carry paperwork for our dog when we had him- vaccinations and what not. We are always asked for our passports of course.The biggest issue has been declaring food items and having to surrender some things such as fruit and, one time, eggs. That can be avoided by planning ahead and knowing which items will be problematic.

We just got back from a trip to BC. Both US and Canadian Customs did not ask about the camper.

I'm sure everyone else here is right, and you really have nothing to worry about.

But a thought did occur to me . . .

Here in the US, people often stop at American customs to register such items as camera gear and laptops and such. This proves that you had it when you left the US and you don't owe any customs duty on it when you come back.

A quick Google search shows that Her Majesties Royal Canadian Customs have a similar program.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-6-5-eng.html

Maybe you could register it with them before you leave.

BCamper welcome to the group.
Lots of great advice here.
Over the 40 years we have crossed between the US and Canada,
from our border and from Canada into and out of Alaska,have never been asked about the camper.
That doesn't mean that there isn't a first time but seems like a nonstarter.
Although the Canadian customs do ask a lot of other questions sometimes.
Guns.firewood,certain foods,when we carried the canoe we were asked if we were bringing the canoe
back with us.
They just seem to ask a lot of questions at times.On both sides of the border.
Enjoy your new camper.
Frank

Never been an issue with the camper. But, fwiw, first time with a new truck, yes. Lots of questions, inspection etc. Even though I imagine they had the registration details.

My thoughts are ... good chance your vehicle will be photo'd going down and that record displayed to the guard when returning (shared info). So clearly not a new import of goods - what I imagine that would be the most likely concern to CBSA.

Going down the most likely concern, I imagine, would be a possible sale down there (business). After crossing once, you'll be in the system and prob be fine.

Thanks for the responses. Appears no one has really had a problem or been asked to show paperwork for the camper at border crossings so I won't worry about it.

Interesting point about the vehicle being photographed when crossing, I was under the impression that was just a licence plate photo/scanner and not a full vehicle picture that they compared when entering and exiting.

Many thanks!

We just went up there last month. I also had worries about crossing the border and paperwork. They only asked for our passports. I didn’t have truck registration and I didn’t have any paperwork on the camper with me. We had no problems but we were Americans just going into Canada for one week to visit. Same thing when we came home. No questions asked, just where we went and asked for passports. As a Canadian if they find out they will probably want you to pay tax on the purchase price.

Stan@FourWheel said:
I also had worries about crossing the border and paperwork. ... I didn’t have truck registration and I didn’t have any paperwork on the camper with me.
??

fwiw to those "just going into Canada", please be aware in Canada a LEO has the right to stop a driver (at any time) and ask for his/her DL, vehicle registration and vehicle insurance papers. Driver is then required by law to produce said docs. or could be charged.

Over the yeas, I have always been asked for DL and registration. Once I was borrowing a car, was stopped and although the plate had a visible, valid tag and this and other info would be available to the officer, I couldn't find the owners current reg/insurance papers. The glove box was full of previous years, eventually I gave up searching (wasn't there) and was fined.

Kicker was, I was young and living at home and it was my parent's car so the addresses would have matched. That was a big fine for a teen. If it was meant to be a "lesson", I haven't forgotten it these many decades, hence the comments above.

Like everyone else, no issues regarding ownership. More of a concern has been what foodstuffs might be in the fridge. Primary crossings have been at Osoyoos (sp?), Patterson and Nelway.

I get paper work that my insurance company provides for driving in Canada. That is for crossing the border or renting a car. Never had to show it but good to have anyway. Border has only been a passport and answering questions properly and to the point. Take off sun glasses and make eye contact. Relax and don't give them just cause to suspect you of anything.

pvstoy said:
I get paper work that my insurance company provides for driving in Canada. That is for crossing the border or renting a car. Never had to show it but good to have anyway. Border has only been a passport and answering questions properly and to the point. Take off sun glasses and make eye contact. Relax and don't give them just cause to suspect you of anything.
pvstoy,that' all good advice.
In 2010 on one of our visits,we got the last ferry from Port Angles and had a room reservation at the motel right at the ferry dock.
It's almost midnight and I think they were bored and since when asked where we were from i replied Monterey instead of Salinas
which is my listed city on the passport.That gave them an reason to do a "real check". We were mover to the "special" parking area and the search began.

We were told to not get out of the truck and they entered the camper just looked around a bit didn't destroy anything.We almost laughed at what we watched through the rear window and into the camper.They just did a very light check and never checked places like the turnbuckle areas or under the seat cushions into the storage areas.
It seemed to us like a "training" thing.Nothing you can do just go with it.

There was also another truck/camper that got the once over.They had things taken like firewood and food.
We were only kept a few extra minutes so everything worked out.
Lesson to remember to give actual city on passport not the one you live closet to.Also before crossing a border I lock the camper gives the impression that we haven't let anyone sneak through.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
pvstoy,that' all good advice.
In 2010 on one of our visits,we got the last ferry from Port Angles and had a room reservation at the motel right at the ferry dock.
It's almost midnight and I think they were bored and since when asked where we were from i replied Monterey instead of Salinas
which is my listed city on the passport.That gave them an reason to do a "real check". We were mover to the "special" parking area and the search began.

We were told to not get out of the truck and they entered the camper just looked around a bit didn't destroy anything.We almost laughed at what we watched through the rear window and into the camper.They just did a very light check and never checked places like the turnbuckle areas or under the seat cushions into the storage areas.

There was also another truck/camper that got the once over.They had things taken like firewood and food.
We were only kept a few extra minutes so everything worked out.
Lesson to remember to give actual city on passport not the one you live closet to.Also before crossing a border I lock the camper gives the impression that we haven't let anyone sneak through.
Frank
You were lucky. On one crossing they searched my camper and took everything out. Even forks and knives.
They held our passports during the entire search.
When done they stamped us and said have a good trip. It took us another hour to load everything back in.
Never told why the intense inspection but never asked for more information than our passports.
We think it was because my traveling companion was from CO and they had just passed legalizing marijuana.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
That gave them an reason to do a "real check". We were mover to the "special" parking area and the search began.

Yes, I don't think that would be CBSA's idea of a "real check" as you say. That would prob involve a lot of questions, all recorded. I've seen plenty of vehicles bearing US plates with what appears to be all contents pulled out. The occupants waiting inside the building - and warned to stay there until called. Often the vehicles have AK plates, the travellers transiting thru as a matter of convenience.

Anyway, please understand CBSA has a doubly tough job, notwithstanding the occasional appearance to the contrary. They must both protect the interests of Canada and satisfy the US that they are also protecting theirs. That's the nature our relationship.

klahanie said:
Yes, I don't think that would be CBSA's idea of a "real check" as you say. That would prob involve a lot of questions, all recorded. I've seen plenty of vehicles bearing US plates with what appears to be all contents pulled out. The occupants waiting inside the building - and warned to stay there until called. Often the vehicles have AK plates, the travellers transiting thru as a matter of convenience.

Anyway, please understand CBSA has a doubly tough job, notwithstanding the occasional appearance to the contrary. They must both protect the interests of Canada and satisfy the US that they are also protecting theirs. That's the nature our relationship.
I agree and don't have a problem with borders crossings.
Many many times that I have crossed into Canada we have been treated professionally.
They have a tough job protecting all of us.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom