Buyers regret?

This isn't technically regret, since the alternative wasn't an option at the time (2005), but I wish I had a side-dinette instead of a rollover couch.

I think I get more storage space with the couch, so that's a real plus for the couch.
But still...with the couch I can't look out the side window without turning my head around 180°, and I'm just not that flexible anymore. I think I'd be willing to get a little more efficient/frugal with how much I'm storing in exchange for an easier view outside.

If I was handy and ambitious -- or willing to pay someone -- I guess I could get it converted... Wonder how much that would cost?

And I'm with Smokecreek on an indoor stove -- "Yes", and no regrets, for the same reasons.

MarkBC

Grass is always greener. I have the side dinette and do not think the view should be a determining factor. With the geometry of a FWC when seated your view is angled down. Consequently, you are not seeing very far anyhow. One thing life has taught me is that there is no perfect tool for all tasks, that includes campers, guns, fishing rods, boats, yada, yada, yada......

Kispiox said:
...One thing life has taught me is that there is no perfect tool for all tasks...
That's for sure -- and it's also true that everyone's needs are a little different.

If I didn't travel alone in my camper 99% of the time, if I had to share it with another person, having the slot of the side dinette for the second person to be "out of the way" (say, chopping stuff) while the first person was at the sink or stove would be another benefit of the side dinette. With the second person on the rollover couch, their legs are in the same zone as where the first person is trying to move.

Personally, I don't know how couples do it -- cohabitate in such a small/narrow area....?
On the other hand, maybe the constant bumping and rubbing as they try to pass in that narrow floor-space (especially with the rollover couch) may promote intimacy. :D

MarkBC said:
<snip>

Personally, I don't know how couples do it -- cohabitate in such a small/narrow area....?
On the other hand, maybe the constant bumping and rubbing as they try to pass in that narrow floor-space (especially with the rollover couch) may promote intimacy. :D
We find more than enough room, it feels decadently big. and quite easy to work together. Although similar, it is a different manufacture and I built and laid out the interior ourselves to suit our needs. On the latter, that will remain private. :)

MarkBC said:
We have the full length rollover couch. It's certainly big enough to share or even sit on and keep out of the way of the kitchen. We don't spend a lot of time in the camper together short of sleeping, but sometimes my GF needs to use the kitchen for prep-work etc. I'll usually just jump up on the bed for a rest or use my iPad to give here some extra space.

It's not like we are both every walking around inside the camper.

Bill, we have the roll over couch, too. Wishing we would have gone side dinette! My size 14s take up a lot of aisle, and I miss an easy to use table for out of the way photo work.

ski3pin said:
We find more than enough room, it feels decadently big. and quite easy to work together. Although similar, it is a different manufacture and I built and laid out the interior ourselves to suit our needs. On the latter, that will remain private. :)
+1

Great idea on the bump...

We have the front dinette on the Hawk. I have no idea what the side windows are for since they are blocked by seat cushions 99.9% of the time. I suppose one is required as an emergency exit. If not, I would prefer not to have any windows on the sides of the hard shell . This would eliminate water leaking around the window seals during a heavy rainstorm.

I never found the windows in the hard sided portion of the camper of much use for any kind of outside viewing.

If you travel with a companion and one or both is long legged (>6' tall) you're going to be knee-knocking each other and probably uncomfortable with the front dinette. We are 5'10"and 5'8" and find the front dinette very comfortable for late evening talks, reading and lounging.

I would order both Fan-tastic vents powered.

While I prefer the cabinets and storage space in the right rear corner of our Hawk, the wife would have preferred the cassette toilet.

99% of our cooking is done outside on a Partner stove. I would like to see a flush single burner cooktop option for when I need to boil water for coffee, tea and oatmeal.

We opted for the interior lift assist. Should have ordered the exterior version. I will be converting to an exterior lift in the coming months.

Mark G said:
I saw another comment that preferred exterior lifts to interior. Why is that?

The internal, old style, or exterior "lift assists" are like gas shocks which help lift the weight of the top going up or coming down....they don't actual contribute until the top is first lifted a few inches; then they kick in and really help. Exterior do not get in the way like interior lift shocks do.

The issues with a front dinette mentioned above; anyone buying a FWC should spend time inside the various models prior to purchasing them....we did and it paid big dividends in our choices of floor plan and options.

Phil

I opted for the interior lifts due to visiting the Outer Banks and encountering salt air and sea spray on the ferries. I thought the interior lifts would last longer if not subjected to corrosive salts.

A side benefit to the interior lifts was noted by Sean (my dealer) when I was looking at the various models and interiors, the interior struts aide getting in and out of bed. They are great hand holds!

MarkBC said:
If I was handy and ambitious -- or willing to pay someone -- I guess I could get it converted... Wonder how much that would cost?
I did convert my rollover couch on my 2012 Hawk into a side dinette configuration. I'm reasonably handy and it took maybe 50 hours. However, part of that time was building and installing full extension drawers in several spots including under one of the new seats and designing/building an inside shower and foldable shower pan.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:21685]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:21686]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:21701]

I would not have ordered the dinette in my Fleet shell. It took up way too much floor space and made getting bigger items in and out of the camper difficult. I've now taken out the seat closest to the camper door. Seeing the various interior configurations before ordering would have been extremely helpful, but I don't live near any of FWC dealers.

If your FWC of choice is a Grandby shell get the rollover in the front, that frees interior floor space. I took out the storage cabinets under the rollover, freeing the floor space, and store stuff in easily moved Action Packers as necessary.

Bill

la_morris said:
I would not have ordered the dinette in my Fleet shell. It took up way too much floor space and made getting bigger items in and out of the camper difficult. I've now taken out the seat closest to the camper door. Seeing the various interior configurations before ordering would have been extremely helpful, but I don't live near any of FWC dealers.
I'm assuming you have the side dinette? I have the side dinette. I travel seat folded over. It makes a great bench for duffle bags.

100acrehuphalump said:
Wishing they hadn't forgotten to install my front vent. Now I gotta go to Woodland California to have it installed. Gonna have another fantastic fan put in. Otherwise I haven't used it enough to regret anything else....except maybe a flush sink and a king slide out bed.....and Warp Drive...a mounted 40MM Bofors turret...fer shooting down the bad aliens and....a Cloaking Device.....a root beer dispensary....
2nd the cloaking device even though I don't have my camper yet. I'm gonna see if it's an option :)

Back
Top Bottom