Buyers regret?

idahoron

The purpose of this thread is for people that are looking to buy their first four wheel camper. This thread is for us to say what we would have changed on our order of our campers.
My regret now.

#1 that I didn't get a furnace. For many years I had trailers and it seemed that the furnace killed the battery in about the second night or sooner. The way I use my camper I always have my generator. I am either hunting or fishing. If I am not doing that I am at a campground and plugged in. SO dang I wish I would have got it.

#2- I wish I would have got the second vent above the bed with a fantastic fan. Several super hot nights last year got me wishing.

That is my list any others?

This is a good thread topic and will be interesting to follow.

Only one minor regret from the purchase of our Fleet - we are not sure whether the rear awning was worth the cost. It does help with keeping the entry a little drier when it is raining but it is not quite as effective as we thought it would be.

No other callouts - we are really happy with everything else.

Cheers!

Bought my Hawk used, but I wish the original owner had got the screen door option. Why would you not get a screen door on a R.V.??????????????????

Wishing they hadn't forgotten to install my front vent. Now I gotta go to Woodland California to have it installed. Gonna have another fantastic fan put in. Otherwise I haven't used it enough to regret anything else....except maybe a flush sink and a king slide out bed.....and Warp Drive...a mounted 40MM Bofors turret...fer shooting down the bad aliens and....a Cloaking Device.....a root beer dispensary....

My hawk is loaded,.. Things I'd not get:

1) neither side or rear awnings. Every once in a while I use them, but not often enough.

2) rear bulkhead steps. I mostly use them to tie stuff off to but jack brackets would suffice. A ladder can always be borrowed to clean a Fan-Tastic fan dome or solar panel. Safer too!

3) with LED lighting, 100w solar and 3 way on gas I don't think the second battery AH capacity is necessary. Scratch that weight and hello more storage. It can easily be added if needed.

4). Roof rack tracks go unused, but I don't paddle board or surf. If I did I might think differently about the bulkhead steps too? I'm to old to store and retrieve stuff from a roof container let alone pop up the friggin thing. No tracks for me.

Beach: Wow,... No screen door? That would suck!

Idahoron: suggested work-around on the no bunk vent. Second vent above the bunk is good but I just upgraded the galley fan for remote or temp setting. If no vent peeling back the window corners would do the same. Google Fan-Tastic Fan upgrade Kit 7350 then you can regulate the air flow over your bunk by closing other windows and moving air over the bunk and out the galley fan. Silent variable speed and reduced power draw. I thought overkill but thought wrong. Ahhhhhhhh.... Try it, you'll like it. And agreed furnace is a must.

Two things I regret regarding my order...I should have ordered the compressor refer instead of the 3-way. Happy to report I replaced the 3-way with a very nice Isotherm Cruise Marine refer. The second item is the front window between the camper and cab. Haven't opened it and I don't plan to. No, leaks, no issues...just don't have a need for it.

NorCalHawk said:
Two things I regret regarding my order...I should have ordered the compressor refer instead of the 3-way. Happy to report I replaced the 3-way with a very nice Isotherm Cruise Marine refer. The second item is the front window between the camper and cab. Haven't opened it and I don't plan to. No, leaks, no issues...just don't have a need for it.
Ditto! The window, but love the three way.

This topic is a great idea. Let us know what you've learned from using your camper.

I spent 8 years trying to figure out what I wanted and am pretty happy. I thought I ordered the thermal pack but when it was delivered I realized I'd left it off the order. I think I would like to have that, but wonder how much condensation would get caught in between. Other than that I think maybe the fan in the vent over the bed would be nice. Glad I didn't order the rear flood lights, don't think I would use them. Glad I ordered the flush mount stove and sink. Although I don't use them the extra counter space is awesome.

I would have liked to get the fiberglass siding and the flush mount appliances, but I think I would have regretted spending the extra cash even more. I was able to buy some great stuff with the money I saved. My biggest regret is the depressingly dark and ugly sponge granite counter tops. I would have preferred the white that was offered on earlier models. FWC offers a choice of fabric colors so why not Formica as well?

100acrehuphalump said:
Wishing they hadn't forgotten to install my front vent. Now I gotta go to Woodland California to have it installed. Gonna have another fantastic fan put in. Otherwise I haven't used it enough to regret anything else....except maybe a flush sink and a king slide out bed.....and Warp Drive...a mounted 40MM Bofors turret...fer shooting down the bad aliens and....a Cloaking Device.....a root beer dispensary....
2nd the Warp drive and rootbeer:) Cloaking device could come in handy as well as a photon torpedo or two :)

Ah, let's see. On our Ocelot I would have had them put the propane tank box up against the front of the camper instead of mid-way. And the rear steps for accessing the roof are not really needed now that we have a telesteps ladder - replacing them with some type of tie-down has been on my mind. And having at least two more inches over the bed would be nice! Other than that, happy!

This is a great thread. I spent 1 year researching what I wanted. When we sat down with Sean Dempsey, he recommended against getting the second solar panel until after we had a year under our belt. I did get the rear plug and I've been debating since the 2 batteries and 100w solar seem to be doing the job. Rear awning was a back order, so we didn't have it until later in the year. We have used it based on weather and whether we will be dropping the top each day to drive to a trail head or whatever. The side awning has been great. I originally ordered the tracks for the roof, but cancelled that before the order was final. I can't think of anything I regret not ordering. jd

I wish I would have added the second vent in the roof, a side awning, and refer fan. Maybe the rear LED floods as well.

I would definitely have gone with the side dinette rather than the rollover couch, if I could have a do over. Same for the external gas lift struts versus the internal struts.

Great thread idea, Idahoron

100acrehuphalump said:
....a Cloaking Device.....a root beer dispensary....
My cloaking device sucks, drains the battery in 20 minutes. Root beer dispensary is an must!

NorCalHawk said:
Only use I have for the front sliding window is to clean the rear sliding window on the truck ( ditto truck sliding window to clean front camper window).

The only regret I have so far is related to setting up the truck. I went with Ride Rite bags and they perform flawlessly and the truck handles the load very very well. However, I plan on using this rig on some CO Jeep trails this summer and most of it's life will be spent thumping up and down the beach here in TX. I am now planning on removing the airbags and doing the full Old Man Emu suspension replacement which should be better suited to fit my planned usage. The only possible regret on the camper is not ordering flush mounted appliances. If the cost had been slightly lower, I would have done it for sure. The rear wall steps haven't seen much use but now that spring is approaching, maybe i'll use them more as I'll be hauling the kayak on the roof. Speaking of that, I'm happy with the Yakima setup not only for the boat but for extra storage for lightweight bulky items. The 3 way fridge is fine although it takes a little bit of experience and a few freeze-ups/thaws to get it dialed in. I'm glad I ordered the rear awning although it probably won't see a lot of use. It's invaluable though, during wet weather to keep a (small) dry spot at the rear of the camper. The 2nd battery will sometimes be helpful but other times, nothing more than a 50# weight I'll have to drag around. No problem though as It's easy to remove when not needed. I still think I made the right choice with the rollover couch but the side dinette option was tempting. Love the camper so far, Brad

Back
Top Bottom