Coffee maker?

Oh yeah, a hot cup first thing is the greatest. The only thing with my bialetti is the single cup. I might upgrade to a larger one.

One of the nicest things about having the camper is getting up in the morning, turning the heater to get the chill off, and making coffee for us and hot chocolate for our son without needing to go outside until we're ready.

We love coffee and are particularly fond of "8 O'clock" brand. We brew it fresh every morning at home but when we're camping it's

Medaglia-D-Oro-Instant-Espresso.jpg

Very satisfying, fast and best of all no additional cooking gear needed.

THANK YOU AERO-PRESS ers!!!!!!!!! I'm late to your party but now Starbucks no more!!! Had Starbuck known about AeroPress Ahab would have been entirely more intense. Great cup of Jo!

I pre-grind the beans at home in my burr grinder, then steep them in my travel mug using a Teeli tea mesh that I bring with me backpacking, etc. Seems to work fairly well. My favourite brew method is using my Yama Vacuum Pot, although this doesn't travel so well. It creates a similar flavor to french roasting, but cleaner (less grinds). I use a Cory glass rod filter, so none of the coffee oils are lost in paper, and it's infinitely re-usable (until I drop it on the tiles...)

brewing_basket400.jpg

vac-pot-brewing.jpg

il_570xN.240144877.jpg

Used the melitta this weekend. Think I'll stick with that. Simple, easy cleanup and good tasting coffee.

craig333 said:
Used the melitta this weekend. Think I'll stick with that. Simple, easy cleanup and good tasting coffee.
Craig, I see we have another convert. I just bought my second Melita set up. One for the FWC, one for the boat. BTW, ordering filters through Amazon seems to be the best way to find them. Our local grocery store used to stock them, but then their warehouse stopped stocking them. I bought a 12 pack (12x40) for about $39, plus shipping. It beats running all over for them.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
<snip>
BTW, ordering filters through Amazon seems to be the best way to find them. Our local grocery store used to stock them, but then their warehouse stopped stocking them. I bought a 12 pack (12x40) for about $39, plus shipping. It beats running all over for them.
Peets has 'em right on the shelf in their stores.

Skeeter said:
French press and drip cone is my choice for car camping. I will use instant when I am hiking and I found the Nescafe to be the choice of freeze dried. Has anyone tried that Starbucks instant?
Via. Ya, that stuff is great! Best instant coffee there is.

I remember the North Face Outlet in Berkeley. Had some great deals in the day.

I like the Starbuck's via packets. The only issue is the packaging but I'll carry it out for a decent cup of coffee on a backpack trip. In the camper it's French press all the way.

GSI Java Press with an AllClad teapot, I do have a 120V Mr Coffee but I have been using that to heat my mustache wax for grooming.

I just discovered this thread and it's too long to read in entirety. Sorry if either of these are redundant, but I have two products that I'd like to recommend to save space and/or money.

I love AeroPress and pour over drip coffee. If you're using an AeroPress you can save a little bit of space and money by replacing your paper filters with an Able Stainless Steel Filter. You'll never have to restock again:

http://www.amazon.com/Able-Brewing-DISK-AeroPress-Espresso/dp/B00E58P7ME

In my camping setup I want something a little smaller than an AeroPress. I think that the most space efficient option that I've come across is the Snow Peak Collapsable Pour Over Coffee Dripper:

http://snowpeak.com/collections/coffee/products/collapsible_pour_over-cs-113?variant=671115025

I hope that these are helpful to some of you.

Serious lack of dedication there. This thread is short compared to our shock lifter thingys thread :)

Problem with reusable filters is all the cleaning they require. I'm trying to make things easy in the camper, not harder.

craig333 said:
Serious lack of dedication there. This thread is short compared to our shock lifter thingys thread :)

Problem with reusable filters is all the cleaning they require. I'm trying to make things easy in the camper, not harder.
Hey, give DevonOjas a break, Craig! What new member would think that there could be 136 relevant replies on coffee makers on a camping/camper forum....?
Especially since everybody knows that the only real way to make coffee while camping is cowboy/hobo style: Dump a gallon of water and a pound of coffee in a bucket, set it on the campfire, and wait until it's thick enough.

The only simpler way is to just pack a good pinch of coffee between your cheek and gum and you're set to ride the range.

Oh yeah, Welcome to WTW DevonOjas. We do have our folks that get carried away. I would like to try (not going to do it myself of course) coffee after its been freshly roasted and ground up in the mountains somewhere.

MarkBC said:
Hey, give DevonOjas a break, Craig! What new member would think that there could be 136 relevant replies on coffee makers on a camping/camper forum....?
Especially since everybody knows that the only real way to make coffee while camping is cowboy/hobo style: Dump a gallon of water and a pound of coffee in a bucket, set it on the campfire, and wait until it's thick enough.

The only simpler way is to just back a good pinch of coffee between your cheek and gum and you're set to ride the range.
Mark, first, coffee is serious business. A thread on coffee needs to be read! Second, you forgot the egg & shell in the cowboy coffee. Two weeks in the electric chair for that!

Back
Top Bottom