Covid Vaccine -- Have you got yours?

My parents didn't have any side effects but yet I hear about younger people who were laid up for days. Interesting.

My wife and I got our first jab on February 12th at a hospital about an hour from home. We scheduled our appointments on our health-system portal. After many days of trying, I happened to check the portal just as 15 appointments appeared for that hospital. As I selected one I yelled to my wife and by the time she got on there were just two left. Our appointments were 90 minutes apart but I felt lucky to have them at all. Up to that point I had seen only three or four appointments and those were gone by the time I selected them.

At the hospital I told the check-in nurse my wife also had an appointment later on and she said it was ok for my wife to come on in. We were back in the van and headed home 35 minutes after I first walked in the door.

Ours was the Moderna vaccine. We're scheduled for the second jab on March 12th but that may not happen, at least not on time. According to our local news, there was a mistake made by Pennsylvania providers where doses which were supposed to be scheduled as second doses were instead used as first doses. Up to 100,000 of us will have our second-jab appointments pushed back.

That delay of course raises the issue of getting the second jab in time. Our second appointments were scheduled four weeks apart from the first and I understand they can be up to six weeks apart.

We had minor ache at the jab site for a day and didn't notice any other side effects.

65+ started today.... 190 shots available for the whole county.... Website crashes... no way to sign up... really a pathetic role out. I live rural. The old folks are unable to do this on line... Towns around Boston have big centers.... 2 1/2 hour drive .. Our area is is also the poorest county in state.... figures.

The roll out certainly has been flawed. Hopefully we'll have it all figured out for the next pandemic.

A lot of talk about kids going back to school. Its a good idea but if I were a teacher I'd probably decline unless I were vaccinated.

My wife was told to go back to the class room 4 days a week... about 6 weeks ago... our State is not offering teachers the vaccine before their age group which won't be for some time to come.

buckland said:
My wife was told to go back to the class room 4 days a week... about 6 weeks ago... our State is not offering teachers the vaccine before their age group which won't be for some time to come.
This is one area where our county has done a good job - vaccinating teachers and school workers. Julie retired a few years back and elected not to sign up as a substitute teacher as many of her friends and retirees do. They are all receiving their 2nd doses this week.

The same with EMS workers. We retired from rescue work 3 years ago and elected not to renew our county first responder EMS cards. Yup, our friends with valid cards are waiting for their 2nd doses due now.

This is how it should be, no complaints from us.

The roll out will continue to improve and let's all work together, with patience, and help make that happen.

Still not able to get my 89 year old mom to get a shot.

I got my second shingles shot today. It is the same dose as the first, we'll see how the effects are compared to the first.

18 hours out from my second shot and just a sore arm - good so far. First shingles vacc laid me out for 1.5 days so this is much better. I am lucky to get in early as a first responder, my wife will likely be waiting till April or later at the rate ID is going.

Our second shot went even faster then the first.
Our local hospital has a very good system for
appointments. Also has a very big stall mostly
volunteers.

We both did our full 1 hour yoga retinue and 4 mile walk this morning.
Not much doing today so sitting in our sun room with a good book.
Nice time to kick back.
Get your shots when you can. The latest numbers are looking better
across the country.
Frank

Still next in line here in Sonoma County, they're holding at 70+ for general public as vaccine supplies are quite restricted. I know several people (>70) that have had first shots, starting to get second doses this week. Although I don't have direct contact with them, I have outdoor contact with a family member (hikes, music). I feel a bit relieved they are on the way, my fear is to pass the virus to someone and kill them.

Meanwhile, I'm quite content to wait for my turn.

There is a lot of chatter about how we need to convince certain groups of the need to get vaccinated. Yes, but I can't see worrying much about the anti vax crowd until we get the willing vaccinated. No lack of people of people lining up for vaccinations at this point. Get the most done we can and get closer to herd immunity as we can before we worry about those unwilling to get vaccinated.

Done with the second shot. Started feeling achy at 18 hours after, but one ibu pretty much took care of that. Another at 24 hours also needed. Felt achy and tired last night at 28 hours out, but another ibu helped. Some of the other folks who are 15 - 25 years younger than I am (other FFTR's) did have more of a reaction and felt a bit worse than I did. Maybe age counts for something!

got the second shot yesterday
tired and a little achy but nothing that an IPA (high IBUs!) and a shot of Jameson's couldn't deal with

Second Moderna at 11:00 am Eastern today. Arm already pretty sore but a cold green bottle of Rolling Rock seems to be doing the trick. Well run clinic set up in the parking lot of a small regional airport. All outside, never left the truck. There are some advantages to being > 65, just not very many.

Foy

Here in Oregon, apparently we’re past needing to get stranded to get vaccinated. My first shot was yesterday. Oregon is starting to expand vaccinating by using medical clinics as part of the strategy. In and out in about 50min. Little arm soreness where injected, otherwise fine. On the advice of others, I have laid in a supply of Jamison, Ginger-ale and Limes in preparation for the second.

I’m now scheduled for my first vaccination early next week. Once I got my VA eligibility changed to the Boise clinic, it was only a day until I got the appointment. They called me. I was impressed with the efficiency. The biggest obstacle was my local rep who was a nice guy, but inefficient.

Back
Top Bottom