Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
I paid $4.099/gal for regular in Port Barre, Louisiana.

About 35 miles south of Port Barre in the much bigger Lafayette, prices were generally 20¢/gal higher. Hmmmm...

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
Are we going to have to buy locking gas caps…again? We used them back in ‘73-‘74 during the embargo and odd/even days. Our fuel tanks are definitely holding refined “black gold, Texas Tea”.
I had a locking door to the gas cap on my '96 T-100. The lock was fouling and finally would not turn at all so I pried the door open with a screwdriver and eventually had to remove the door entirely. So I put on a locking cap. Then the cap lock jammed and I pried it off with a screwdriver.

I am somewhat surprised that new vehicles don't have any kind of theft protection but then again - all you need is a screwdriver.

oh yeah - gas in Walker, CA is still at 4.99. The store is owned by the Bridgeport Indian Colony and their policy is to keep the price until they get a higher priced shipment.

Gardnerville, NV - 4.69 (or .79?) yesterday. Seems they have all agreed on a price.
Topaz - 5.15

Went skiing for a couple of days last week. Prices in Lee Vining increased from 6.49 to 6.99 overnight. Bridgeport was holding steady at 6.49. The stations in June Lake - if you have to ask ........(they do not have large signs)

I've had my new truck for just over 2 years. I crossed 14,000 miles a few weeks ago. I leave my watershed only for skiing and groceries. The increase in gas prices will effect me less than my unfortunate luck in developing a taste for single malt scotch.

I don't think it will effect frequency or length at all, but it might prod us to do a few more motorcycle based trips and a few fewer truck based trips.

Here in southern Louisiana, between Lafayette and New Iberia, it seems like prices of regular have dropped about 30¢/gal in the past few days...!
I was didn't see anywhere less than $4/gal when I got here, and now I'm seeing $3.70/gal (+/-) in lots of places. :O

Yesterday I paid $3.799/gal for regular in Lumberton, TX (near Beaumont in southeast Texas)

This was kinda weird: Yesterday morning at a gas station in Deming, New Mexico, as I was filling up... well, I wasn't ABLE to fill up. The pump shut off at $75.00. :O
I haven't had that happen in YEARS!
As it turns out, the amount dispensed was just a gallon or two shy of filling the tank, so I didn't bother to do another credit card swipe.

For the record, regular at this station that doesn't trust credit purchases >$75 was $4.199/gal.

Took a trip to Texas and back to visit our grandkids. Took 5 days going back. Visited a few areas we have not been to and added a new NP, White Sands in NM. Return trip we did in 3 days shortest route. I did keep track of time and miles using the Ford trip computer. MPG is calculated.

Going to Texas 5 day trip:
Drove 65 to 70 MPH, except when 55 limit, ran 62 MPH.
45 hours 33 minutes drive time.
2,073 miles driven.
122.38 gallons of gas.
$526.01 spent on gas.
16.94 MPG calculated.

Return to California, 3-day trip.
Drove 75 to 80 MPH.
32 hours 29 minutes drive time.
1,746 miles driven
137.22 gallons of gas.
$645.99 spent on gas.
12.73 MPG calculated.

Notes: Tailwind going south on I-5 leaving California. The computer showed up to 19 MPG running 65 MPH. We did have BIG winds driving back to California. Either head-on or at 90 degrees, never a tailwind.
Takeaways. Headwinds kill MPG but speed makes more of a difference. The closer you get to Texas the cheaper gas is. The closer to California you get the more gas is. Also noticed many trucks going slower than normal. Guess if I was filling those big tanks I might slow up to increase mpg.

index.php

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 8.32.56 AM.jpg

If you are planning a trip south on Hwy 395:
Gardnerville NV - generally below $5/gal
Topaz - also below $5
Walker - $5.99
Bridgeport - $6.99 (don't expect this to drop - ever again)
Lee Vining - Shell was $6.69, Chevron $6.99
June Lake Junction Shell was $6.49
and that is the extent of my travels
regular grade, cash price

Today in Bend was the first time I bought gas for my new truck, and I paid $4.799/gal for regular. (I received the truck with a full tank from the Ford dealer).
Unfortunately, this Rite of First Refill was marred by the fact that the pump jockey didn't fully fill the 36 gallon tank (several gallons short) -- he must have assumed it was done just because the nozzle shut off, and I didn't notice until I'd taken the receipt.... In Oregon, remember, we're not allowed to pump our own gas under most circumstances.

In rural counties in Oregon, at night, self-serve gas is legal. Maybe I'll have to drive to Burns tonight to fill it properly myself... ;)

MarkBC said:
<snip>

In rural counties in Oregon, at night, self-serve gas is legal. Maybe I'll have to drive to Burns tonight to fill it properly myself... ;)
Wait for a clear night with bright stars . :)

Back
Top Bottom