Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
I just paid $3.159/gal for regular here in Sebring, Florida.

Sebring is famous for its International Raceway...where I bet, as a rule, they use something peppier -- and more expensive -- than Regular. (but I'm not a racecar guy, so...)

I paid $3.599/gal for regular here in Pensacola, Florida yesterday...and seems to be typical for the area.
That's the highest price I've seen in months of wandering through the South.

Recent gas price encounters -

Bridgeport, CA $5.89

Panamint Springs, CA $4.99 (these folks want to sell gas now. In the past they were very high)

Stovepipe Wells, CA $5.16

Furnace Creek, CA $7.05

Encouragement to fuel up frequently instead of waiting. Makes me glad I have a 35 gal tank. Loads of fun going on a fixed income just in time to see inflation take off.

I believe I happened onto an old-fashioned gas war this morning in Kingsport, Tennessee. Gas prices in the area are $3.29 to $3.35 but the local Food Mart had it for $3.13. After filling, I noticed another grocery-store-affiliated gas station about a mile up the road had it for $3.15.

Paying about 3.59, but considering that when I graduated HS it was .80 a gallon in 1974 money or 4.56 adjusted for inflation I shouldn’t complain. That said, like Craig333, I picked the wrong time to retire and go on a fixed pension. On the other hand, if I worked a few more years my wage and pension would have gone up only marginally while the cost of dealing with my job would have climbed exponentially.

I paid $3.299/gal for regular today in Ville Platte, Louisiana.

"Ville Platte" is Cajun (French) for "flat town".
(Never mind that that description could apply to most any town in most of Louisiana. It's because it's flat that the Mississippi and other rivers have so many meanders...where it's not levied.)

Prices continue to rise. The U.S. has done nothing to moderate the effect on Americans. There is a proposal to suspend the federal gas tax for a time (.18 per gallon I believe). More releases from the strategic reserve. Band-aids. Short term relief that have real consequences attached to them.

With all the concern for the Ukrainians expressed last night and in the news daily, we still import 500,000 barrels of Russian oil daily. We purchase more oil from Russia than any other supplier other than Canada.

Perhaps it is time to again support oil production from American sources. I recall that only two years ago we were self sufficient in oil and had become exporters of oil and gas. Europe has a new interest in oil and gas from sources other than Russia.

Increase production here. Provide surplus to others especially with liquified natural gas. Put Americans to work.

It will do much more good than $5 billion dedicated to electric vehicle chargers. Electrics may be the future...but not yet.

I paid $3.599/gal for regular here in Springfield, Louisiana.
In rural, swampy, southern Louisiana between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, west of Lake Pontchartrain.

Back
Top Bottom