Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Sorry typed that while drink'n. The final developed pressure verse being at sea level is reduced thus if you compared that against your sea level pressure the compression ratio in terms of pressure would appear to be reduced when it comes to fuel mixture even though the engine is still compressing the local atmospheric pressure the same amount, there is just a lower starting pressure to compress. So in the world of octane which higher levels are needed for retarding knocking of higher compression engines you inherently would need less octane if your ultimate pressure is reduced by atmospheric changes.

Assuming 0' of elevation is 14.7psi on a 10:1 engine would develop 147psi at sea level but at 5000' with a pressure of 12.2psi the engine would only have 122psi at the top of the stroke. Less octane is needed. Less power is also made. Less fuel is also used relatively but more throttle may be need to make up for the less power. Etc. I'll be feeling the whole situation out soon. :D

Makes sense.Good luck with the gas issue. You should not have a problem,there seemed to be plenty of it out there and not at a gouge price. It was interesting to see the 85% ethanol.I wonder how many cars out in the area where I saw it can use it.Or people just burning it anyway.Don't think it would be good for most engines.
Frank

Lots of ford engines for instance are "flex fuel" which means they're setup to burn E85. My 99' ranger was. However E85 has less energy per gallon so you get less MPGs out of it so you need to do the math on the price per gallon to see what makes sense in your given rig.

Lots of ford engines for instance are "flex fuel" which means they're setup to burn E85. My 99' ranger was. However E85 has less energy per gallon so you get less MPGs out of it so you need to do the math on the price per gallon to see what makes sense in your given rig.

Pods8 very good info.The idea of the math on fuel price per gallon vs power/MPG makes sense.Me I just try to stick to the 87 or where it's sold 85.But like you said the 85 at altitude works.
I think over the whole trip the price vs power/MPG,I don't think saving a few pennies might be the way to go.I have found that when on a trip like we just did,we spent $1500 on gas for 6,000 miles.How much would I have saved using some grade of gas that would have not let the engine perform to it's full power?
Frank

Gas spike? In the past 3 weeks or so, gas price has dropped as much as 50¢/gal at some stations in Bend.
ohmy.gif
smile.gif

Has the price of gas (or diesel) done similar plumetting elsewhere?
Just wondering...

Gas spike? In the past 3 weeks or so, gas price has dropped as much as 50¢/gal at some stations in Bend.
ohmy.gif
smile.gif

Has the price of gas (or diesel) done similar plumetting elsewhere?
Just wondering...

Here in Monterey I just filled up for $3.79.Yes it has gone down a bunch.Hope the bottom isn't here yet.
Frank

They have dropped here, too. Prices are down to $3.20 per gallon in Alamogordo.
I've noticed that gas prices usually go down before a presidential election. Maybe it is coincidence with the less expensive to produce winter blends becoming available.

Just checked here- lowest is $3.16. Many are at $3.19. I hope prices continue to fall as we are planning a cross-country trip in Dec- Jan. I imagine gas will be over $1000, even with lower prices.:oops:

Just checked here- lowest is $3.16. Many are at $3.19. I hope prices continue to fall as we are planning a cross-country trip in Dec- Jan. I imagine gas will be over $1000, even with lower prices.:oops:

Hmmm....based on these posts, sounds like a trip from Minnesota to New Mexico would be the most economical... May be too expensive to fill up in California -- too expensive to get back out of there.
blink.gif

Gasbuddy.com is a great resource, as is their smartphone app. Here's a map.

Thanks for this tip, highz! I just-now installed the Android app, and I see that the lowest price in town is 10¢/gal less than I thought!
smile.gif

2 miles from the house, gas is $2.95 & heating oil I mean diesel $3.50. I no longer check my milage on trips. It's like gravity, I can't change it so I don't worry about it. Heating oil in the Northeast is around $4.75 per gallon. Before Sandy and when weather was warmer it was $4.25.

The thing I love about facts is they continue to be facts whether you believe them or not.

<snip>

The thing I love about facts is they continue to be facts whether you believe them or not.

That one's good enough for a pen

I'm resurrecting this. It the last six weeks gas prices at home here rose from $3.49 a gallon for unleaded regular to $4.19. It hurts. On our winter break trip we liked paying $2.77 a gallon in Mesquite, NV.

Our gas and diesel are the same price $1.31.9(cdn) or approximately $4.99 a US gallon. We are outside the Vancouver city limits so do not have the transit tax they have of +/- 15 cents a liter. It getting dam expensive to go anywhere even empty. Our Alaskan only cost about 1 mile per gallon so it will slow us down a little this year.

Back
Top Bottom