Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Monday AAA reported that gas prices in Oregon rose 26¢ in the past week!
ohmy.gif

When we arrived in Austin, Tx on May 9 gasoline was $3.35. Yesterday it was up to $3.39. Hertz rental charged us #3.12. Darn, they don't rent the Tesla, so we took a Nissan Altima 2.5 and it did pretty well. We got 475 miles out of a tank of gas.

Monday AAA reported that gas prices in Oregon rose 26¢ in the past week!
ohmy.gif

No kidding. Week and half ago reg gas was $3.57. Now $3.99 Diesel is around $4/g retail. Pac pride for me locally is $3.93 for diesel.

Gas prices here are up about $.25 in the past week, hitting $4.19 today in the Twin Cities. We are nearing an all time record for the state average price of $3.88 set back in 2008. News reports attribute the increase to refineries that have gone off-line in Chicago and Tulsa, combined with typical seasonally low supplies. Evidently we should expect high prices at least through July. Ouch.

Looks like time to bump this old thread back to life. Our respite appears to be over. Gas is $5.09 a gallon regular unleaded in Bridgeport, CA and $4.89 in Lee Vining, CA. Nearer to home, it is $4.19.

$3.39 grade 85 octane gas

$3.69 for diesel

Outskirts of Denver Co. not including .10 gal discount for every $100 spent at the Food Store.

Mr. Vertical said:
$3.39 grade 85 octane gas

$3.69 for diesel

Outskirts of Denver Co. not including .10 gal discount for every $100 spent at the Food Store.
That is one good thing about going on a trip for us, gas will be cheaper than here at home. :D

ski3pin said:
That is one good thing about going on a trip for us, gas will be cheaper than here at home. :D
So true, drove 8,000 miles around the USA and the most expensive gas was in CA.

We are either the top petroleum producer or near it depending on who's data is used to the point of being a net exporter of product. Yet we still pay a near record gas/diesel price. I say the people revolt and take up popping up and building campfires on the National Mall until we get an domestic energy policy that favors the camping class.

Yes, selfish I know.

Nice to see people are getting out. Will be joining you soon.

$1.349/Litre Gas -- $4.603/Gal
$1.399/Litre Diesel -- $4.773/Gal

Current prices in Kamloops, BC. Has me itching to sort out an alternative fuel for my truck -- although being in a cold weather area, I would need to implement a dual heated tank system. I'll need to find an aux fuel tank that mounts on the frame, as the camper will take up the bed space. If I was somewhere warm year round, I'd be all over making biodiesel. Unfortunately, I think only a 20% blend would work in the depths of winter here. I have been considering a Vegistroke kit, although the upfront cost is a deterrent.

We just arrived home from a 3 week journey about as far south as Bishop and far east as Battle Mountain, NV. Located way up in the PNW near the Canadian border takes us a bit longer than most in the west. So, we don't zoom but meander the backroads as there are many ways to get to the Southwest, not just the straight shot down the disaster that is I5. I haven't added up miles or money for fuel yet but we save on camping by boondocking and preparing our own food. I usually make a batch of soup and bring our home grown frozen tomatoes, some onions and potatoes from garden then we make sandwiches, eat cold or hot cereal, fruit, etc. We are retired so have time but money can be an issue. We are frugal and don't smoke, drink, gamble, do drugs, go out for dinner and buy clothing used. So, we feel we can spend more on travel. Ahem, but this week we blew a wad on new tires, oil change and transmission oil change. Still, life is short and for us no more rainy days so we gettin' out to WtW. Our rig gets 11mpg combined but should do better with the new tires that are 35", not 36".

Back
Top Bottom