Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
We are just heading back from a 6 week trip exploring the Canadian Maritimes and as many know Canadian fuel is quite a bit more than in the US on average.

The most expensive diesel that we bought was in Red Bay Labrador at $2.56/L which, if my math is correct, comes out to about $7.49 / gallon. The guy said we were lucky we didn’t come a month earlier as it was $3.33/L ($9.74/gal)!

We left Raleigh, NC on July 5 and returned on August 13. Raleigh-Elko, NV-Stanley, ID-Jackson, MT, all over central and southwest MT-Hot Springs, SD, and back home. The most expensive diesel we bought was the tank we left Raleigh on (don't have my notes before me, but it was in the $5.75/gallon range).. Had the advantage of hitting a new Buc-ee's in Crossville, TN going and coming @ $4.99 going and $4:12 returning, and a just-opened fuel plaza at the foot of the US 62 "ski jump" bridge over the Mississippi River from Cairo, IL @ $4.75 loss leader promotional price, and aside from that Nevada was the most expensive at $5.69 for the one tank I bought in Elko. Prices were declining slowly the whole trip and without adding it all up I'd say we averaged around $4.75. I don't think we paid over $5.00 anywhere other than Elko. I did closely track my fuel mileage (necessary since my gauge is inoperable--the part alone runs around $900, I'm told), and my 6,892 mile round trip saw 13.27 mpg. Not bad considering we were around 13,500 lbs on the hoof , rolling on 35s (yes, fuel mileage and rate of travel corrected for the big tire factor),and I completely broke my pledge to hold it down to 68-72 mph. We also ran the A/C at WOT pretty much everywhere and enjoyed a full day of 40-50 mph headwinds in Utah and Nevada. Instead I ran mostly 72-76 mph which surely cost me 1.5 to 1.75 mpg. It just got unnerving watching semis running 80-85 mph looming up in my mirrors!

For anyone wondering how I made out on fuel range calculations, the most I put in the 38 gallon tank was 31 gallons once and 29 gallons one other time. In all other fuel intervals I took on 22-26 gallons so I had a lot of wiggle room. I've run that old truck out of fuel 3 times in 18 years of ownership--twice in the first year-- and it's not something I want to repeat, especially with my longtime navigator and "advisor" only 2' off of my right shoulder.

Foy

@ teledork, a while back you wrote that you had been told that if gas prices had kept up with inflation, they would be $8 gallon. There are a number of inflation calculators online. I picked one and did some plug and play.

The average price of gas in 1972, my first year of driving, was $0.36 a gallon. Adjusted for inflation, that would be $2.41. However, a year or so later, I remember sitting in gas lines and the price of 59.9 keeps popping in my head, though that could be wrong. In today's dollar, that would be about $3.67 a gallon. I paid 4.05 yesterday for Chevron gas, though the price is still falling here.

OutToLunch said:
@ teledork, a while back you wrote that you had been told that if gas prices had kept up with inflation, they would be $8 gallon. There are a number of inflation calculators online. I picked one and did some plug and play.

The average price of gas in 1972, my first year of driving, was $0.36 a gallon. Adjusted for inflation, that would be $2.41. However, a year or so later, I remember sitting in gas lines and the price of 59.9 keeps popping in my head, though that could be wrong. In today's dollar, that would be about $3.67 a gallon. I paid 4.05 yesterday for Chevron gas, though the price is still falling here.
Thank you for correcting the misinformation I was given.

Just got back from my trip to the coast, oregon etc. Cheapest diesel (I don't pay attention to gas) by far was in Klamath Falls. $5.25 a gallon. I had to pay $7 in Arcata.

Still hovering around $4.80 here in the Northeast. But that said some places are 60 cents higher. It will come down until winter and I think (Irish discussing with the wee people) it will go a lot higher still. I keep saying no matter how hard it gets ... it is so much better than so many other countries. We are lucky IMO.

Prices where I filled my truck in Bend today
IMG_20221010_133838.jpg
Not the cheapest in town by a long shot, but I got a considerable discount off the posted price by using my Safeway/Albertsons points.

Gasoline has gone up so much that now diesel is cheaper at most stations around here. 5.89-5.99 unless you buy fuel by the highway.

Here's my (regular) gas-buying experience over the past week:
IMG_20221019_152028.jpg
I-84... I-80... I-70... I-64
Once you get east of the continental divide, gas prices are amazingly similar from state to state.

Diesel was generally $5 to $5.50 everywhere. In some states that meant diesel was $2/gallon more than gasoline at the same station.

This fill-up 2 days ago in Bay St. Louis, MS, is the first time in a LONG time that I've paid less than $3/gal (regular).
IMG_20221203_103755.jpg
I have seen it for even less recently, now and then.

I saw this at a certain big-box retailer this afternoon in the greater New Orleans area.
IMG_20221205_154934.jpg
The diesel price is the lowest by far I've seen in a long time.
I didn't see any qualifiers posted so I assume those are the actual prices.

Back
Top Bottom