Dang I am dumb

idahoron

I drove off without latching the roof. I remembered pretty quick and I don't see any damage. Man that makes me mad.

did you lower it but not latch it? I drive around with the top popped changing camp sites all the time no problem. Now I did once drop the top but forgot to latch it and drove for 5 hours down the highway in Mexico, ooops!

I am also a member. In fact, a while back I had the top up airing out the camper after a weekend trip. Ran to the local grocery store. Came and and was wondering who popped the top while I was in the store. Then it occured to me. Oh $%^&!

Yep, me too, the top was down and unlatched, however, I had the windows in the truck rolled down and heard the jangle of the latches before I went more than 20 feet. Whew!

Oh no, I did not drive down to the local car wash with the top popped. Never happened. If people wave at you strangely its a good idea to see why.

It's not a big deal. Short of a bit of possible wear on the kitchen counter top, the worst that could have happened is that it popped up all the way. They will withstand a 60 mph wind so unless you drove a long distance at that, again no big deal. My guess is you could never get it to stay up even 4X4ing.

That being said you should get used to doing a walk around before you drive or set up the camper.

I have got into the habit of counting to 6 when I do up and undo the latches.
You'll find yourself leaving one of them still latched and trying to lift the roof if you don't get into this habit.
I have even requested that the GF not do up/undo any of the latches, just so I can get a count as I do/undo them.

Ever since the start of this thread I've on and off been thinking about a method to better prevent this. I'm going to start clipping the locking carabieners to the ignition keys. That way if they're on the keys, the latches aren't locked, and if they aren't locked then they may not be latched either.

ntsqd said:
Ever since the start of this thread I've on and off been thinking about a method to better prevent this. I'm going to start clipping the locking carabieners to the ignition keys. That way if they're on the keys, the latches aren't locked, and if they aren't locked then they may not be latched either.
I am curious how many folks use locking carabiners. It seems like a good idea. I've done plenty of dumb things over the years, but the 'biners look like a good way to keep me from doing this one.

I should clarify that by "locking carabieners" I mean that they lock the clamps, not that the 'bieners themselves are locking.

I only went a couple miles and they were slow miles. I checked again and everything looks good. Too bad there is not a lock ring that pushes through when it cams over to put something on it.

I would suggest getting into the habit of doing a walk around. i like the idea of having a visual tag you put on the last clamp. If it's on your keychain, you forgot to do up the latches.

I wouldn't get carried away. Having done 10+ years of oilfield service has got me into the habit of doing a walk around my vehicle before I drive away. If you were at the point of having the top up, you were likely sitting in one place long enough to merit a walk around. I don't need some stupid sticker on the side of my drivers side window. I just practice save driving and walk around have saved my bacon a number of times.

Back
Top Bottom