((Eagle/Fleet)) - Shell Amateur Build

Stalking,

Exide is the battery Four Wheel has been installing for at least the last 2-3 years. Manufactures are always doing research looking for the best third party products to keep a balance between high quality and low price in an effort to keep the new camper total price down There is a trade-off in every decision.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Stalking,

Exide is the battery Four Wheel has been installing for at least the last 2-3 years. Manufactures are always doing research looking for the best third party products to keep a balance between high quality and low price in an effort to keep the new camper total price down There is a trade-off in every decision.
Oops, I read your post wrong, I thought you said they switched from the Exide not to it. Sorry.

Now I'm upgrading the "cabin area.

If you remember we installed " basket style drawers" . in the space over the battery compartment.
gallery_2684_938_319465.jpg

Well after a year and a half the upward door was about to fall off so we had to do something else.

With the help of a cabinet maker friend of mine ( he did 99% of the work - I cleaned up) we now have this: 2 drawers and a bottom Hatch held on by "rare earth magnets".

gallery_2684_938_14979.jpg

The rest of the pictures are on in "My Gallery" ..".Eagle shell amateur Build # 2".

Click on my Avatar. Go to "my Gallery".

I updated the First Post

Here are a couple of pictures of the framing and Glides.

In the first photo the rear vertical 1 x 2 "floats" . The drawer is square. The cabinet is not. Allowing the rear vertical post to move prevents binding as the drawer moves in and out.

gallery_2684_938_343338.jpg

gallery_2684_938_363809.jpg

The lower two pictures show the Rare earth magnets and the ledge the Hatch rests on to close it.
gallery_2684_938_365630.jpg

gallery_2684_938_58850.jpg

The past year or so I have been researching to find a "slide adjustable" spigot for our 3 gallon water container. Then I saw the post by Ted titled "Fresh water Petcock Drain Valve"

Down to Camping World I went and there it was for $ 3.97 unfortunately without a nut and washers. Off to Denault hardware and picked up the rest of pices see pictures:

gallery_2684_938_86895.jpg

After installation in container Looks like this. I decided to use the smaller washers that came with the original spigot.

gallery_2684_938_123120.jpg

About an inch shorter so need to make sure it extends far enough over the sink.

Flexible solar panel is officially Dead

Like everyone I tested, changed and re-did the connections (because it was going and returning), changed out the controller.

No change to the results. Panel continued to produce 16.5 - 18 volts at the controller and ZERO amps.

Finally called Renogy again. This time they upleveled me to "Ozby". He said panel is dead.

How to tell panel is dead. Voltage yes - Amps None, or NO volts or amps.

Even though I got 12 months use before it failed. They are NOT pro-rating the warranty. Renogy is returning full purchase price plus paid tax, plus sending a carton and return label.

I will replace it with a 150 watt rigid probably from Renogy - 3 M taped to the roof - using 6 "Z" brackets like "photoHC" did.

I really like that Renogy is standing behind their products. I plan to buy from them when time comes. Good customer service gets my business :)

I'll post photos when I get it installed. Hopefully it will cover up most of the minor glue path I was unable to remove with the razor-blade.
Roof surface not as clean and shiny as it was when new. Wife replied, "roof supposed to keep the rain out, correct?", "Will it continue to do that?"Yes I replied"...."All is good she replied" ....Happy wife is a Happy life.

Guess I am going to get more use out of my speaker lift lifting the front as well as the back.

See pics new Renogy 150 watt Rigid, Glued onto roof using 3M VSB 4950 tape. Recommeded number of pads - 6. I used 8. And picture of new connection showing 10 gauge wire nuts. I was having difficulty getting the solder to blend because of the thickness of the wire. Wire nutting is a solid connection.

gallery_2684_938_247153.jpg

gallery_2684_938_249487.jpg

gallery_2684_938_209475.jpg

Determining the positive cable from solar panel

Look for a small "+" sticker on the cable. If no sticker
"Squatch" has a good technique..."Uncovered male prongs should always point upstream to the power source. Power flows downstream from source to load through covered female. That way there is no exposed metal with voltage to accidentally touch something and cause a short."

I heavily caulked the opening with bathtub caulk and used two of the original screw holes in the roof to secure the box down so it doesn't move.

The 'junction box" (Bud Industries).

cable mounting accessories.

Testing output:
Yesterday battery was at 72%. Parked in sun at 9 am - Amp reading 3.1. 10am - amps 4.9. 11 am 5.6. 12:30 battery at 100%. Solar controller reduced voltage to 13.6 and amps point 5 - Float mode.

I'm assuming a 60% of rated output which should give me around 5.5 amps in winter.

RC Pilot Jim said:

Guess I am going to get more use out of my speaker lift lifting the front as well as the back.
I have 2 x 100W rigid panels (+33 lbs) on my roof in front and find the speaker lift a real back saver :D

I put a closet rod holder on the ceiling to hold the lift shaft from moving as I crank.

jim

Dr. J No problem with the "speaker Lift". The "I'm assuming " -20 pound struts are no help. Manual lifting doesn't budge it.. When I return from this coming weeks trip to Saline Valley. I will get the 40 pound ones which is poundage FWC provides with there 160 watt rigid,

Ja: yes I have the closet rod pockets installed front and rear on my too to keep lift from slipping.

Edit update - 2016
I have the 40 pound struts. The lifting issue was caused by "mounting Location" . 26 pound panel is in front of the struts instead of in the middle of the roof. I would have to relocate it to solve the lifting issue.

Report first Field Test
Yesterday we returned from 10 days in Saline Valley.

Battery range after dark 100 - 89% . 8 am percentage of full 89-91%l. Mountain range prevented sun from hitting panel untill about 7:45 am. By 11am bat at 100%..

We are more than satisfied, The old 100 watt panel took about 6 hours to charge to 97% before losing light. We were conserving to mostly the fridge. With the new panel we didn't conserve - running fan, all the lights, an fridge. Temp range 40's-50's at night. 68-80 degrees daytime.

As a bonus we got 8 days out of our drink ice cube storage...Running the fridge a little colder than normal

The tape worked well. with a good bond. Trip milege: 730 miles. - 116 miles bad washboard road (South pass). Reimbursement check from Renogy arrived while we were out of town.

Jim,

That is a great field report.

I think the additional solar wattage is working out great for you.

If you are getting this kind of power input during the winter months you will be in great shape all year.

Nice work!

Thanks Dr. J.

After reviewing "Rob85" reply # 5 - chart on the - Lift Struts post. I may have the highest poundage I can use. On my strut, the number is a little blurred - looks like 40 pounds. I recall Four Wheel stating higher poundage struts can push out the side walls.

What do you use to lift your roof with multiple panels?

After I added my hard panel to the roof it was definitely more work to lift the roof up.

I added 40 lbs to the front and 40 lbs to the back. That helped a lot but still took a fair amount of effort.

Then I ordered the next size up from Suspa - 60 lbs front and 60 lbs back. It worked awesome and popped right up.
Except then I couldn't pull the top down! It was too much force.

I compromised with 60/40 lbs and front and 40/60 lbs on rear. My 60 lbs are opposite sides to balance each other. This seems to work perfect for me. But I have been watching very carefully to make sure I'm not putting any extra stress on the roof since each side isn't exactly the same. I have not seen any issues with the side walls at this point.

If they made 50 lbs struts for that size I think that would be perfect. I could only find 60's or 40's.

I believe the maximum amount recommended by FWC is 40 lbs.

Thanks Dr. J.

Looking at my roof again I wonder if I located the panel too far forward as the electric drill does not produce enough power to lift the front. I must use the hand crank. Hand crank does not feel as if its binding though. When Lowering it the drop is slow because of the cushion of air roof rides on initially.

I have decided to use it as is for awhile and do more research.

Advice to viewer's reading this post..... When locating 150 watt panels bridge the lifting bar to more evenly balance the weight

Jim just ordered a speaker lift this weekend. Back got sore working on my rental house. I had planned to install a 150w panel this week but will have to wait until back is better. I have tracks so will be able to move panels to shift weight. I will have my 100w + the 150w on the roof. The 150w is long enough to reach the tracks so no angle to bridge the tracks. I am going to weigh the 100w with the alum angle if it is close in weight to the 150w I might sell the 100w with angles and buy a 150w. 300 on the roof will cover just about anything. I have 60# struts inside and I am sure lifting will be hard after the 150w goes up.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom