Fall!

Well it happened! Had my splitboard out today up in the backyard. Base at the ridge line where I started making turns was 125cm. 10 of which fell last night. Fresh pow!! :D :D :D

'Twas a great day! Ended with a 7.5km nice downhill ride back to the truck.

Milestone for Central Oregon skinny-ski-ers today!
for those who want set tracks and skating lanes, anyway...

Mt Bachelor Opens Nordic Center

Back in the day, a number of years ago, I had a seasons pass to the Bachelor Nordic Center for a few years in a row. It seemed that the Nordic Center groomed trails attracted these types: 1) people who were into serious race-training or skate-skiing in general and 2) tourists who didn't know any better -- didn't know that there was much more scenic and interesting terrain of all difficulty levels on the free and well-marked trails outside of the Mt. B. fee zone (though un-groomed).
(I was in group 1: enthusiastic about skate-skiing, but not race-training)

Steens Mountain sections close
Published: November 22. 2011 4:00AM PST
Due to winter weather conditions, the upper section of the Steens Mountain Loop Road has been closed for the season.
The gates just below Jackman Park Campground and Big Indian Overlook were closed, and the areas will not open until spring.
Despite the closure, all Steens Mountain area campgrounds — except Jackman Park — remain open.

Another sign of fall in Oregon.

This thread is still "Fall!"...but this is a (more-or-less) typical winter weather forecast for Bend:

20111201-1.png

Close-to-seasonal/average high and low temps...and the sunny-ness is what the tourism-promoters always claim.
rolleyes.gif

The sun, though, is not what the mountains need right now, snow-wise.
sad.gif

High winds for the second day here in No Cal. :eek:

Tioga and Hetch Hetchy Roads to Temporarily Close in Yosemite National Park
High Winds Expected in the Yosemite Area
Published on Nov 30, 2011 - 6:28:37 PM
By: Yosemite National Park

Nov. 30, 2011 - The Tioga Road (Highway 120 east of the Crane Flat Gas Station) and the Hetch Hetchy Road in Yosemite National Park will be temporarily closing tonight, Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 8:00 p.m. A high wind warning has been issued for the Yosemite area starting tonight, through Friday morning, December 2, that may impact driving conditions along the roadway. The Tioga Road and the Hetch Hetchy Road will remain closed until further assessments can be made. An announcement will be made pending additional road closure changes.

Winds are expected to be between 20 and 40 miles per hour, with localized gusts up to 60 miles per hour in Yosemite Valley. Winds at the higher elevations of the park are expected to be between 50 and 60 miles per hour with localized gusts in excess of 75 miles per hour. The strongest winds are expected in the area between 4:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. tomorrow, December 1.

There is the potential for very strong damaging winds with down trees and power lines and potential structure damage throughout the park. Visitors are urged to use caution while in Yosemite National Park during this high wind warning.

High winds for the second day here in No Cal. :eek:

Tioga and Hetch Hetchy Roads to Temporarily Close in Yosemite National Park
High Winds Expected in the Yosemite Area
Published on Nov 30, 2011 - 6:28:37 PM
By: Yosemite National Park

Sounds exciting!
Maybe I should drive south to experience it.... Not good weather for a camper, but I'm sure I'd be fine in my low-profile car.
cool.gif
tongue.gif

A 97MPH gust was recorded not far from here but strangely we are not experiencing much wind at all. Quite unusual as we are in a Santa Ana hot spot.

High winds for us, too, but the hurricane-force gusts are supposed to miss the Sacramento Mts.

The good news for the parched Sacramentos is this:

... Winter Storm Warning in effect from noon Friday to 6 PM MST
Saturday...

The National Weather Service in El Paso TX/Santa Teresa has
issued a Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow which is in effect
from noon Friday to 6 PM MST Saturday.

* Event... moderate to heavy snowfall over the Sacramento
Mountains and surrounding slopes down to 5000 ft elevation.
* Snow accumulations... expect 6 to 12 inches of snow above 7000
feet with 2 to 5 inches lower elevations.

I live above 7000 feet elevation, so woot!

Nice high pressure on us here, pushed off a little bit today but coming back tomorrow. Sun is nice but I'd rather get snow!

Nice high pressure on us here, pushed off a little bit today but coming back tomorrow.

Portland, OR (at the airport) today recorded the second highest pressure ever measured there: 30.73"
ohmy.gif

A 97MPH gust was recorded not far from here

On the local TV news tonight, talking about the high winds in places other than Oregon, they said a wind speed of 164 mph was recorded on a mountaintop (somewhere) in SoCal.
ohmy.gif

I wonder if any campers were blown over while driving today?...
huh.gif
. I wonder how often that actually happens? Have any of you ever seen a camper (in person) blown over on the highway?

Sounds like the motorcycling season is about over. Hold off on too much, I need to get up there and harvest my Christmas tree :D

If there's more snow than expected, I'll loan you my snowshoes so you can get your tree :) Permits are still $5 - can't beat that.

New low for the season at my house this morning: 18°F. The previous low, 19, was a month ago, so not much of a trend. But the massive high pressure off the NW coast right now promises more arctic air sliding down this week...20111203-1.png

Well, Barko, I think you can get your tree okay. The first storm brought six inches of snow to the observatory, but there's only half that on the east side where I live. The second wave has only added an inch or two to the total. We should get more tomorrow. I saw a few Xmas trees strapped to car roofs on my drive home today.

I don't guess there will be any observing tonight, but I got to do a little X-C skiing! This snow is very welcome!
ARC_dome.jpg SDSS_bldgs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom