Fantastic Fan variable speed control

photohc

I thought I would post this modification I did recently on my Fantastic Fan for anyone that might be interested. I’ve been frustrated with the speed of this fan as the three settings seem to make the fan run 1.fast, 2.faster, and 3.fastest. Too much air movement and noise for night time usage (as well as the amperage used).
I unscrewed the unit from the inside to discover that the three position speed switch was simply selecting different resistance to control the voltage sent to the motor, thus controlling the speed. This is a wasteful use of energy as the reduction in voltage is accomplished by the resistance introduced and energy is dissapated in heat.

The solution is to use a PWM DC motor speed regulator controller. You can find these on eBay at dirt cheap prices. I paid $2.76 shipped from China. Who knows how they make money on these at that price. A 4 amp unit will do as the fan will draw a maximum of 3 amps. This controller controls the speed of the motor by varying the pulse width sent to the motor instead of reducing the voltage.

Basically you have 2 wires for 12v in and 2 wires out to the fan motor. You just need to figure out which wires are the 12v source and which one’s go the fan motor. I snipped off the resistors on the 3 way switch but I later discovered I didn’t need to do that as a unused terminal on the switch bypassed those resistors.

I hot glued the controller to the plastic wall of the fan and drilled a hole for the speed control variable resistor.

The fan now can be reduced in speed to a much slower and quiet speed. I can vary the amperage from a low of .5 to a max of 3.0. Prior to this install, the fan drew 1.5 amps at its slowest speed and 3 amps at it’s fastest.

Here are some photos during my installation:

19686164621_f8548945c0_z.jpg

19495010409_510d2acdfa_z.jpg

19059084854_a963cc0b77_z.jpg

19495010359_e8b0e3f499_z.jpg

Done!

19060730343_2a95ef5107_z.jpg

Nice job photohc and nice write-up.

One of my fans has the Fantasic speed controller with a remote, which gives about 14 speeds. It is kind of klunky to operate but works well and allows nice quiet, slow speeds (and low current). The other fan has the plain 3-speed switch. So I might modify it as you did.

Any chance you can give us a link to your source for the PWM contoller?

Thanks...

- Bernard

I wonder if I could do similar mod to our fans. We have the variable speed fans with remote controls. I like them because they have a rain sensor that closes the vents if it rains. The trouble with them is the remote control receiver and rain sensor draw current all the time whether the fans are being used or not resulting in unnecessary battery drain. I didn't know that when I ordered them. I put a master switch on the circuit so I could turn them off but maybe I could eliminate the remotes with this mod. Hmmmm....

Nice writeup on your mod! Any problems with humming? I couldn't find a spec on what freq the pwm controller is running at. If no hum then it is fast enough!

I haven't found any issues (no humming) with this modification. Just a nice smooth start from stop to full speed.

billharr, on 14 Jul 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:
billharr said:
Thanks for the link.
Just ordered one. Going to change out to get aways from the resistance control and save some power.
ski3pin said:
Thanks for the info; ordered one also.
x 3!! I wonder if the company notices a sudden spike in sales? :unsure:
Excellent documentatation, photohc.

Hey Guys, when you get your PWM controller, it may not have english notation on the circuit board to tell which is the 12v in and motor out connections. I wrote to the vendor of the eBay link I placed here and they sent this photo of the proper connection points.

19117769823_c73dee44b1_o.jpg

photohc said:
Hey Guys, when you get your PWM controller, it may not have english notation on the circuit board to tell which is the 12v in and motor out connections. I wrote to the vendor of the eBay link I placed here and they sent this photo of the proper connection points.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks again!

Just did my install. I have a buzz :(

Harv, I got a different controller than you have. It is the one ordered form your link, may be the same one everyone else ordered. Can I do any thing to stop the buzz? I tried going around the old speed switch just to be sure that is not the problem as I left the resistors in but used the switched tab. Anyone else done the install??

This is the controller I have, except the led is green

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like the hum is caused by the frequency of the PWM controller. I don't have that issue and I'm not sure how you can determine if any given controller will do that. I guess I was lucky. I would try writing to the vendor and see what they say or just try your luck on another brand/vendor.

I will contact the vendor and unwire for now. I was hoping I might be able to put a capacitor in the line but that is beyond my skill set. Getting ready for a trip to Glacier mid Aug so this might have to wait. Others who have purchased the same controller might want to jumper the controller in to give it a try be for a full install. I will post up any information I get from the vendor.

Back
Top Bottom