Favorite signs you've come across while wandering?

Park - you are not helping with my bear fears! I'm trying to figure out how I'll be able to go to Montana (etc) and not just spend the time sitting in my camper, holding bear spray while stiffly sitting facing the door, and not sleeping.... :ninja: :)

I've backpacked extensively in grizzly country for 50+ years. I have seen six without magnification in that time. The only place I have been concerned is the Absaroka Wilderness east of Yellowstone. That is where Yellowstone dumped their problem bears in the 60s and 70s. There have been two fatal grizzly attacks in Montana since 2010, five in Wyoming.

You are 70X more likely to be killed by lightning than by a bear. Don't worry about it. And don't cook bacon :p

jim

grade low.jpgblasting sign low.jpg

hoyden said:
Park - you are not helping with my bear fears! I'm trying to figure out how I'll be able to go to Montana (etc) and not just spend the time sitting in my camper, holding bear spray while stiffly sitting facing the door, and not sleeping.... :ninja: :)
Dawn...the chances of you being killed driving to grizzly country is far and above greater than of you ever being attacked. The grizzly is a magnificent creature that I've sought out many times over the years to observe and photograph. I could spend days simply watching them. I've been around Grizzlies many times over the years and if you use your head you'll be fine. Being in Grizzly country is as good as it gets for me. I think the last vestige of wilderness lies in grizzly country. It's slowly disappearing so get to it while you can. Not a sign picture but to ease your mind, this is what they're after, not you and Pugsley. Shot two summers ago in Alaska....

KatmaiGrizzly-7-X2.jpg

Park - that's a great shot! Though I think that Pugsly might be an appetizer :-D I'd love to get up there to watch the salmon and bears!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.... :D

Foy said:
JaSAn,

Where is the steep grade/runaway truck ramp signage? The steepness at 10% reminds me of Teton Pass along WY 22 west of Wilson and Jackson, WY.

Foy
US 14 in the Bighorn Mountains. I think it is coming out of the mountains, heading East into Dayton, Wyoming. This was a few years ago before I had a smart camera that would tell me where the picture was taken :unsure:

jim

Since we are bearing it all...

gallery_4841_711_209381.jpg

The reason for the sign...

gallery_4841_711_313755.jpg

And why they grow so big...

gallery_4841_711_45292.jpg

Well fed Kodiak brown bears habituate the Larsen Bay Village dump, where the fishing lodges bring the fish carcasses after they have been processed. The young guys working at the lodges would drive up to the dump with a load of coolers on the back of a Polaris to dump the carcasses, and at the sound of the ATV, the bears would mysteriously appear out of the woods. Their meals were being delivered in plastic bags. If the bears got too close, the guys would grab a rock and run them off. (NOT ME!!!)

The octopus in the photo was around 50 pounds.

This trip was in 2000, photos shot with an early Olympus digital point and shoot.

Nice Steve. We have been traveling around Alaska 5 times since 1990,but on our last trip did we really see the bears.
Lots of them. At a visitors center there was a stuffed "brown". The thing is huge,I mean huge.Never thought they could get that big,but the coastal ones have a great amount of food available. Unlike the interior ones that have a harder search for food.

Nice octopi also. Another large animal up there.
Thanks
Frank

While here in Barcelona there's been demonstrations about the right to
vote,to be a free state from Spain.
Lots of interesting signs.
One I came across while wandering the city.They get very involved it their politics.
Frank

IMG_0506.jpg

We got socked and it is still going on... but only 12 inches so far in our 12 we had but it has been below zero for weeks and the weekend has -16 and -15 with 30-40 mph winds... so wind chill is crazy lower. I just got in from a couple hours on the tractor and will do so again tomorrow as the wind drifting blows it back. ... had to change out the diesel filters as the fuel gelled when it was -14 the other day. No fun on the ground
at that temp. My rubber gloves snapped!
We have our wood stove roaring and are snug. A tub full of water for flushing should the electric go off (again) ... And thank heavens the beer supply is ample!

Back
Top Bottom