Fold down step sheared in half: VERY dangerous

kifo4173

Today I was clearing snow off the roof of my Fleet flatbed-one hand on my yakima rack, one foot on my fold down step. I loaded my weight onto the step and 'ping!'. The step broke in half.

It broke directly on the rung itself, not at the bracket or the fold-down mechanism. Pictures to come.

I've contacted FWC and they were shocked. Awaiting a follow-up call from them. I see this as a SERIOUS manufacturing flaw. We all weight our steps to access the roof, and failure could easily result in serious injury. If I hadn't had a good grip on the roof, I would have fallen onto my back from way up the side of my camper. And, like many of you, I use these when I'm miles from cell service and often alone.

Anyone else have this happen before? I've had my camper for 10 months, and cared for it meticulously. This is its third day in the snow. Temperatures around 30, I weigh 165.

Curious to hear community thoughts on this. Will post pictures soon.

Your pics of this incident could be worth a thousand words in making sense of what happened. I'm glad you came away more or less unscathed. Thanks for this alert, and i'll be following your thread very closely, and taking more caution with my own set of steps.
Rico

I just read the warning label:
"For indoor use only"
"For use up to 300 lbs"

I wonder why the indoor use restriction, given that it is plastic. Maybe because plastic can become brittle in the cold?

kifo -how cold was it?

full

Not a plastic step. Steel. Any ideas? Anyone have this happen before?

Is that rust (corrosion) on the inner part of the step? Was it there when the step failed or did it develop after it broke? If it was there at the time of failure it may indicate that the step had a crack or some other problem that created a weak point(s) that lead to the incident...

With rust internally, it would appear that a crack allowed water to enter long enough in the past to allow that corrosion to develop. The other shear surface doesn't appear to exhibit any corrosion.

Good luck that you had a grip on the roof.

Paul

Wow, that's a gnarly pic. Talk about an accident waiting to happen, with no clue that it even could happen. Again, congrats on dodging what might have been an awful injury. Please keep us posted on what you learn from the manufacturer.
Rico

BillTheHiker said:
Is it the Plastic Rubbermaid Portable Entry Step listed on the options sheet?

I just bought one from Walmart so will not use it until I find out.

A quick Google search found two reported incidents with the step breaking:
https://www.saferproducts.gov/Search/Result.aspx?b=Rubbermaid&dm=0&pcid=442&srt=0
This isn't the step he's talking about, it's the metal ones on the camper (optional). I have the rubbermaid step and have used it in hot and cold with no issues.

Squatch said:
Yep that looks like a bad casting. It's been broken inside for while. Probably since made. It would be a good idea to inspect the other ones closely.

Are you saying that this broken rung on the step would have had a visible surface indicator of a poor casting?

Also the "not for outdoors" warning on the step stool has nothing to do with temperature but does have to do with UV degradation over time of all plastics....plastic weakens when left exposed to UV [sunshine!].

Phil

Wallowa said:
Are you saying that this broken rung on the step would have had a visible surface indicator of a poor casting?

Also the "not for outdoors" warning on the step stool has nothing to do with temperature but does have to do with UV degradation over time of all plastics....plastic weakens when left exposed to UV [sunshine!].

Phil
Quite possibly. That rust got inside there somehow. Things don't rust from the inside out without a way for moisture to get in there.

But that doesn't mean a hairline crack would be easy to see. In the pic it seems to have broken along the cast in tread bump line. Probably not something that would have been caught when giving it a once over before installing.The galvanizing or plating could have also hidden it. But if that was mine I'd sure be looking at the others with a magnifying glass just to be sure.

Those little steps hold quite a load. it may have cracked with usage some time ago as well. Rusted a bit and finally let go last time you used it.

Gnarly! You're lucky that sharp edge didn't catch a thigh or calf. You could have bled to death right there!

I've never been really happy with my steps. ONE trip to the beach and the surface was pitted .... even after washing it as soon as I got home two days afterward. Hard for me to put any trust in them now.

Before we all need to junk our steps...perhaps by a show of hands...how many steps have broken?

This most likely has nothing to do with "rusting" but more with a casting failure....in any event the sky may not be falling.. ;)

Phil

Back
Top Bottom