Found myself in a bad situation today

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I went on a mountain bike ride and it was going to be a pretty long one - a tough 3.5 hour loop in the mountains. At one point we were feeling pretty good so we decided to add some length to it. This is when things started going haywire. I started feeling like I might cramp on the second big climb. Then I ran out of water. Then things really started going badly. I think the cramping must have been due to the fact that I had a virus and I was rapidly getting sick. It got to the point I couldn't even ride the bike anymore. So my buddy says he'll ride back to town and get his car but I need to make my way down to the closest road point for pickup (alone). I thought that would be no problem. However after he left me I was rapidly getting worse. My whole body was cramping and I even had trouble riding downhill. Then I started puking. I was starting to worry that I wasn't going to make it to the road.

It sucks being in a situation where you lose the ability to ensure your own safety. Ultimately I made it but it was a death march. If I had not made it I probably would have been found as the trail was being used quite a bit today. But other places I go I never see anyone. I'm really starting to reconsider my long solo day treks at remote mountain ranges because you just never know whats going to happen.

And finally, I had to drink from a stream. So hopefully that doesnt come back to haunt me :unsure:

Wow, bad news. Glad you are okay.

That is one thing with bikes, they can get you a long ways out there, and if things go bad it can be a long walk out.

As for solo journeys, I would always carry a SPOT.

Yeah, tough one DD. I don't know you personally, but have been out there on my MTB and crashed hard and had to walk it back solo. Not fun, so I can relate. I've been guilty of (the pleasure of) many a solo adventure, which is perhaps the same personality trait that led me to being a FWC owner. I haven't bought into the SPOT technology yet, preferring to take personal responsibility, but with age (and wisdom) it makes more sense.

The old adage about traveling in groups and leaving info with friends/family as to your whereabouts &b ETA are all helpful. But I still wonder if that's much good when the sun goes down and there's a problem to be resolved. Heck, half the time I'm biking I don't have light to fix an issue if it gets dark on me anyway :eek:

Yikes!
You mentioned having a virus -- you mean, like a cold? Did you already feel sick before the ride?
Or do you think dehydration was the main factor?
I've learned the hard way how devastating it can be to not drink enough water during long, hard physical activity...gotten dehydrated so bad that drinking water made me sick, almost vomit.
How do you feel today, DD?

Regarding hiking, cycling (etc.) alone: The possible consequences of something going wrong crossed my mind during a solo hike yesterday while descending jumbled/broken basalt boulders a couple of hundred feet into a little high-desert canyon (in a remote area) and up the other side. Jumping/stepping from rock to rock...many landings on angles...mostly covered with dry lichen. Perfect conditions for twisting an ankle or slipping between/off boulders and breaking a leg. It crossed my mind because I'd hate to become the fool who does something foolish outdoors. But all went well....as it always has for me when doing this kind of thing.
I'm glad I haven't felt compelled to find someone who wants to do exactly the same thing as I want to do just to avoid doing it solo -- I would have missed doing lots of cool stuff. And in 30+ years I've suffered no adverse consequences of going solo.
However...I am not as young as I used to be. (Actually, right now I'm not even in good shape for me age.
rolleyes.gif
) No matter how agile I think I am...I must be getting less-so, so I shouldn't assume that "past performance predicts future results". Maybe I do need to be more careful.
huh.gif
???

My buddy's GF had a similar issue, but not quite as sever, when out ridding with him last summer in Utah. Hit the wall with quite a ways to go to climb back to the car. Didn't eat enough in the morning.

As Mark was inquiring, how are ya? You think the cold or dehydration was hitting more so? (Couch perspective I'm got my money on the water issue. As for the stream get some soft TP just in case. ;) )

Glad you're back safely. Those of us that have been there know how scary that can be. The good news is with age comes wisdom. Well for most people. Cheers, it wouldn't be the same without you.

They do graze some of those meadows and I've been told that some time ago no Sierra's stream was free of Girardia anywhere so it wouldn't surprise me if the same is now true of the Cascades too. Tomorrow I'd talk to your Doc about what to do now.

Not be critical because I wasn't there, but the first mistake was separating. Easy mistake to make because it frequently seems like the logical thing to do.

By the by, how many folks carry Benedril (sp?) in their first aid kits? We nearly lost one of our cycling team members to ground wasps near Downieville. The nurse-practitioner in D'ville used everything he had to try to stabilize her and couldn't. Had to ship her to Sacto. He told some of the folks with her that had they given her some benedril right after the 100+ stings that she'd have been in a lot better shape when she got to him. I've put some in every first aid kit since.

They do graze some of those meadows and I've been told that some time ago no Sierra's stream was free of Girardia anywhere so it wouldn't surprise me if the same is now true of the Cascades too. Tomorrow I'd talk to your Doc about what to do now.

Not be critical because I wasn't there, but the first mistake was separating. Easy mistake to make because it frequently seems like the logical thing to do.

By the by, how many folks carry Benedril (sp?) in their first aid kits? We nearly lost one of our cycling team members to ground wasps near Downieville. The nurse-practitioner in D'ville used everything he had to try to stabilize her and couldn't. Had to ship her to Sacto. He told some of the folks with her that had they given her some benedril right after the 100+ stings that she'd have been in a lot better shape when she got to him. I've put some in every first aid kit since.

Having assisted patents well into their 90's and 100+, I can say with some confidence that there are a lot worse things than dying alone doing what you love. Take water, Benadryl and Spot if you remember them. But go. If you are getting too old for it that is an even better reason to go.
The really stupid move would have been to stay home.

I plan on getting a plb. I've twisted my ankle before. Thankfully last time I was only a half mile from camp.

I'm betting on dehydration. Most of the time by the time you feel thirsty you're well into it. I think in this situation it was well worth the risk of giardia to drink from the stream.

Don't stay home, but do take iodine pills.

How are you feeling today, DD? Was it an illness or dehydration?

How are you feeling today, DD? Was it an illness or dehydration?

Its tough to say. I've been in way hotter situations with less water and not had this degree of meltdown. I really was not out of water at any point as my riding buddy gave me some water until I could refill my Camelback at the stream. Another maybe is that I was eating trail mix that had been opened about a year ago. I didn't stop throwing up over a course of several hours until every last seed was out.

I improved rapidly over the last couple of days but still had some ongoing stomach problems through Sunday.

Another maybe is that I was eating trail mix that had been opened about a year ago.

:eek:

Are you kidding? Yeah, that might have been your problem. Probably the extra protein you got from the larvae. Note to self - don't accept food from DD.

:eek:

Are you kidding? Yeah, that might have been your problem. Probably the extra protein you got from the larvae. Note to self - don't accept food from DD.

I won't claim I'm a genius 100% of the time :oops:

I'd be surprised if you'd get sick from old trail mix...but I'm not a doctor
rolleyes.gif
What could go bad except maybe the oils in nuts might get a little rancid and dried fruit would get drier? And M&M's don't go bad. Central Oregon, because of its cold-and/or-dry climate is wonderfully free of most food-invading vermin...as long as the trail mix doesn't include fresh meat or raw eggs...
biggrin.gif

DD, you can test my theory if you have any of the trailmix left. I double dog dare you. :p

I may or may not have more of the rancid trail mix. The theory could possibly be tested later this year at a rally :D

I may or may not have more of the rancid trail mix. The theory could possibly be tested later this year at a rally :D

The older it gets, the better the test!

I'll second the rec on the PLB. I'm usually by myself both with the camper and on my motorcycle on the NFS roads. If I get in serious trouble I want someone there fast.

The older it gets, the better the test!

Reminds me of a back packing trip when we were down to our last granola bar and that have little white things crawling around in it.

I do want to thank all those who have contributed stories of when it didn't quite work right for the possibility that you might be saving our butts by exposing yours.
We learn (on rare occasions) from our mistakes as well as from those of others.

A couple of years ago while cross country skiing near the end of the day I continued on a trail I did not know rather than hike back up a hill to a trail I did know. Once home many hours later, I realized that I am reaching the ripe old age where my judgement is not as good as it once was. I try now to plan my trips (and remember if I can remember to remember) on the assumption that my judgement isn't all that good and so I need to duck out of situations that call for the right call. That includes what I pull out of the fridge.

Its tough to say. I've been in way hotter situations with less water and not had this degree of meltdown. I really was not out of water at any point as my riding buddy gave me some water until I could refill my Camelback at the stream. Another maybe is that I was eating trail mix that had been opened about a year ago. I didn't stop throwing up over a course of several hours until every last seed was out.

I improved rapidly over the last couple of days but still had some ongoing stomach problems through Sunday.

I'm sticking with beer and potato chips

Back
Top Bottom