Full build - Reconstructing a 1981 Grandby into a custom Hawk!

The Velcro loop material I purchased was two inch wide. I marked and cut a 3/4" strip to use for the clear vinyl window, and used the remaining 1-1/4" for the privacy flap.

Once these panels were all made, I attached the two panels onto the Velcro hook strips on the side liner windows, carefully stretching the screen window straight, and making sure they were lined up properly, before sewing them in place at the bottom corners, leaving the bottom edge of the flaps, about 3/4" longer than the window opening, as they are fitted through a 3/4" slit, allowing them to go to the outside of the liner, and the screen material wrapping around, and behind, before the bottom edge is sewn shut, as follows.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1475469708.917763.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475469755.069057.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475469775.925267.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475469798.955002.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475469826.071982.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Before sewing the bottom edge, I folded the screen material over both the clear vinyl, and the privacy vinyl, and locked it all in place with seam stick.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1475470267.584737.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475470290.098030.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475470310.816155.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475470328.661999.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475470344.226379.jpg

ImageUploadedByWander The West1475470411.318215.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475470430.546754.jpg

Once the bottom of the window flap was sewn, I applied a vinyl patch over each bottom corner on the inside of the liner to seal the window from leakage. I used HH-66 vinyl cement from Sailrite. This was the best I could devise by looking at the photos I had. I cannot be sure if these are designed and assembled they same way at the factory. It's just what I came up with after studying and thinking through the process carefully. I believe they will work, and I'm sure counting on it!

ImageUploadedByWander The West1475470749.691851.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475470766.132940.jpg

And the side panels are complete!

ImageUploadedByWander The West1475470788.098032.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1475470849.567486.jpg

Well, once I had gotten the lift panels completed and installed, and everything ready to go, it was time to connect the end panels to the side panels and prepare the Sid liner for installation. This was another point where very careful measuring was essential, and making sure that the whole liner was square and even, both top and bottom.

As most of you are aware, there are four panels on the side liner, connected by four seams. This was another sort of tricky spot, because when you add a seam, you have to account for the amount of material used up in the seam. This was especially a part where the Sailrite how-to videos helped, as they show exactly how to do it. The seam used is called a full-feld seam, and folds both top and bottom layer equally, allowing no rough edges, providing nearly the same waterproofness, and strength, as the rest of the material

By trial and error, I got the circumference correct. Doing it again, I believe the best measurement for the circumference is taken on the camper body, not the camper top. The fabric will stretch enough given the liner length overall, and when installing on the camper, you'll want the bottom that attaches to the camper body as snug as possible, to avoid too much bunching up of the material.

Here's the assembly process for the four panels:

ImageUploadedByWander The West1475471763.051734.jpg

First mark a line 5/8" across the outside surface of the end panel, and place seam stick along the line. Then place the side panel over top, so that the outside surface of each is facing together, and line them up square on the top edge, and leaving the 5/8" edge you marked off.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1475472064.156697.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475472079.771697.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475472099.669373.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475472116.533843.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475472135.610828.jpg

Use seam stick each time you fold the material. The last photo didn't show this, and it is crucial in order to keep everything tight in place when taking it to the sewing machine, as otherwise it will surely shift on you. This seam uses two inches of material when it is completed.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1475472326.253431.jpg

Repeat this three more times, making sure it's not twisted in the process. This is a difficult maneuver, because you're wrestling about 40 feet of liner material while your sewing!

Next, go try it on for size, and hope you're very lucky!

Here's a few shots of that, and when I can post next, I'll show the liner install, which is now nearly completed and looking mighty fine.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1475472955.734644.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475472971.673742.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475472990.724802.jpg

Now folks, if you've been following this post, you know there have been set backs as I learned and tried things in the build process. I'm no expert, but I'm willing to give it my best. I've enjoyed sharing my build with you, just as I've enjoyed each of yours.

To say I'm very fired up at this point is an understatement! With just a little luck, it'll be out on a shakedown in two weeks on a Colorado elk hunt. It will be a shell at that point, with maybe the heater, and stovetop functional, and the solar panel installed well enough to work for the time being. That's the plan. If only I didn't have to work everyday..........

Wish me luck!

The outing will be a well deserved break!

I think you pretty much just wrote the how-to manual on a full fwc restoration. If I could even get my lift panels and sideliner replaced I'd call it a major win. Solid work!

Wow , that's awesome . When you build stuff like that you really appreciate it. Hope you enjoy your trip

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Poky,

Living in Colorado also, I had in mind the "Wander-the-West" vehicle I wanted to build, but it was not until I ran across your post that I discovered the all aluminum frame of the Four Wheel Camper. Soon after an old Grandby wound upon my door step. (I made an offer the seller couldn't refuse and he delivered it to me.) As WyoIDI said your post is a how-to manual on rebuilding a FWC and has already become my guide as I shorten, narrow, and re-arrange for better weight distribution. I hope to be off to the welder in a couple of weeks if "one more thing" doesn't change the design. I hope to be where you are now by next Spring.

Being close to you I especially appreciate you referencing your sources of materials since that is one of my big concerns.

I had no idea how I was going to handle the side panels. It was one of those things that "I'll figure it out later". Your latest posts have given me the confidence to sew my own. (My wife says "not on my machine"!) So if you want to sell yours when you are done send me a PM.

Boonie

Checking back in with some good news folks!

I did it!!!! Yahoo!!!

I actually pulled it off, and got the camper ready to use for my fall hunting trip, and what an awesome week it was, so much to share! Beautiful scenery, full moon nights, the full full swing of Colorado weather, and got to do it in my new camper!

I'll do a shake down trip report soon, and what a shake down trip it was, windy, sunny, cold, and snowy, all in five days, and how did the camper and I fare?

I will also catch up the final build steps I went through to have the shell finished, including a rushed temporary galley, heater install, solar set up, and upper bed. I have to catch up on work a bit first, since I was out a week, and then I'll carve out some time to post with numerous pictures of the process. I put in many, many, late night hours, and full weekends since I posted last, to finish in time (October 15th, so.... Stay tuned!

Here's a couple photos for now, and thanks for those who have been following along, very appreciated.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1477283222.891838.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1477283253.409851.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1477283292.672488.jpg

ski3pin said:
An amazing amount of work and determination! We are wishing you good luck! :)
My apologies for not responding to each of you sooner, but I was on an all out mission.

Ski, thanks so much for your encouraging words, and also a big thanks for you and The Lady posting your own build thread when your camper was being assembled at ATC, and thanks to Jeff and Marty for allowing you to share with us! Just seeing those pictures helped immensely for me to figure out how to do things to my satisfaction. Much abliged!

WyoIDI said:
I think you pretty much just wrote the how-to manual on a full fwc restoration. If I could even get my lift panels and sideliner replaced I'd call it a major win. Solid work!
WyoIDI, you're very generous with your compliments, I've just done what I could to put this together, and it's turning out pretty good. By the way, I'm up in Cody for work once a month or so, maybe we could meet up?

Boonie said:
Poky,

Living in Colorado also, I had in mind the "Wander-the-West" vehicle I wanted to build, but it was not until I ran across your post that I discovered the all aluminum frame of the Four Wheel Camper. Soon after an old Grandby wound upon my door step. (I made an offer the seller couldn't refuse and he delivered it to me.) As WyoIDI said your post is a how-to manual on rebuilding a FWC and has already become my guide as I shorten, narrow, and re-arrange for better weight distribution. I hope to be off to the welder in a couple of weeks if "one more thing" doesn't change the design. I hope to be where you are now by next Spring.

Being close to you I especially appreciate you referencing your sources of materials since that is one of my big concerns.

I had no idea how I was going to handle the side panels. It was one of those things that "I'll figure it out later". Your latest posts have given me the confidence to sew my own. (My wife says "not on my machine"!) So if you want to sell yours when you are done send me a PM.

Boonie
Boonie, your response above was very moving! I owe it to so many others who have posted here on WTW, to motivate me, and give me vision on what I might be able to do on this project. I can't remember if I even knew about WTW, when I first brought the free to me, save it from the landfill, camper home. I just thought it would be fun to share, as others have. So if I helped one person jump in and take on a project like this, all the better.

I can't wait to see yours take shape, and your doing an even more amazing project from the sound of it. I'm just up the road if I can be of any help, just PM me, and we can connect.

Dr J, and rtpvibes, thanks to you as well for your kind words.

PokyBro, this has to go down as one of the best build threads. Amazing work. Thanks for sharing with all of us. There should be a lot of pride taken on this one. Enjoy it. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

So very cool! That's a labor of love and a camper you'll have for a long time. I did a "remodel" of the interior of my camper (pulled most appliances out, new counter top, new floor, liner, etc.) and I thought that was extensive but your build is awesome. Great job.

Poky,
I'm glad that the shake down went so well. It has to be so satisfying to actually have the vision become reality.

As you might recall in my rebuild I have the opportunity to change the original design, so I want to ask if during your shake down, do you wish you had outside access or outside storage compartments? It seems that so many expedition campers are designed to live outside the camper so outside access/storage is a necessity to get to their "stuff". Our campers are designed to live inside, but because of the compact interior we inevitibly live outside as well. Thus the possible need for outside access. Any thoughts?

Boonie

Longhorn 1, and McIntyre, thanks for your compliments. To both of you, yes, indeed, there is great sense of satisfaction gong on right now, and truthfully, I find myself going out and staring at it and reflecting, but differently than when you buy a new vehicle. One thing that occurs to me over and over, is the number of screws, staples, painting, measuring, cutting, snipping, hammering, grinding, sawing, etc, and all tools to do it with, and where the materials came from, that took place over the past year +. And of course, finally getting to go use it already put a smile on my face. You'll see that on the trip report. Another side, is the sense of adventure I'm so looking forward to in the future, in a whole different way than I've experienced in the past.

Boonie, I reflected on your question on outside storage, and right now it's kind of early. I'm still contemplating a hot water heater, with the benefit of having a shower, with outside access, though in cold weather, not something you'd use. I do wish that I had tried harder to find a radius door for the propane tank, but I suppose the one I have is just fine. Maybe one reason outside storage isn't on my mind, is because I have a large crew cab pickup presently that holds more than one should bring. Still trying to figure out where to put tire chains, shovel, axe, and other such items, so they're out of the way, but there when needed. I'll get that worked out. I can see where your needs might be different with even narrower width and inside room. The temporary galley was helpful to picture how the permanent cabinetry might take shape, and what storage I will end up with. Anyhow, thanks for your interest and comments.

Poky!!!! It looks awesome. Really really awesome. I am slowly ramping back up my production too. I am feeling the same pressure of not getting it done in time (ski season is here and I am so far from ready), but I've got a couple weekend in a row coming up that I can go full in. Ill post a full update soon.

Back
Top Bottom