Here we go SPRING,enjoy

So Mark, it's great walking weather, since we can't go any where anyway- hey that's right ,not sure if you have met my new border collie yet, not like old Bob but she's learning-and a gem ! Overcast here, cool but not bad, chance of rain, what's new. Time to pull those hard copy maps out, and start planning for the next run. By the way, Publiclands.Org. is still open and sending out maps-maybe there is still a world out there and maps plan that next trip on.

Smoke

Topped out at 72 today. We both wore shorts. A beautiful day, just about perfect, except for the blue smoke haze and smell. Seems most everyone is burning yard waste for the last five weeks. Oh, the things we learn when we stay home.

ski3pin said:
Topped out at 72 today. We both wore shorts. A beautiful day, just about perfect, except for the blue smoke haze and smell. Seems most everyone is burning yard waste for the last five weeks. Oh, the things we learn when we stay home.
Should add we took the tire chains off the tractor yesterday. The front mount snowblower will be coming off and the front end loader going on. I'd say we are committed to spring time. :)

IMG_20200427_122316.jpg

Up... And down... Yep, it's spring.

ski3pin said:
I've noticed the same about the burning. But I have not worn shorts yet. Cutting and hauling brush (I don't have a suitable location to burn on my property) does not lend itself to shorts and/or short sleeved shirts.

View attachment 37125
Apples (and cherries just getting started) (and yellow flowered Bitterbrush - deer food)
View attachment 37126
Golden Delicious - looks like it will finally produce after 10 years :oops: (it has had a hard life - not a good location)
View attachment 37127
Arkansas Black - an heirloom apple my late husband chose because he liked the name, it is a very late apple and good for storing - have picked a full lug off this one small tree

The other two apples are both Jonathans - excellent for drying, pies, lunch, etc

Thunder and lightning in Bend, OR, right now -- at midnight:30.
Kinda unusual this time of year, this time of night. :unsure:
Light rain, too.

It is May.............................

Winter Storm Watch
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
330 AM PDT Sat May 16 2020

...Snow and Strong Wind for Higher Mountain Elevations late
Sunday night through Monday night...

.Late season Pacific storm will bring periods of moderate to
heavy snow and strong wind to the higher elevations of the Sierra
Nevada and mountains of Western Plumas County late Sunday night
into early next week.

Very difficult travel over the mountain passes is expected during
this time, and should be avoided.

CAZ069-162300-
/O.CON.KSTO.WS.A.0004.200518T0700Z-200519T0700Z/
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT
THROUGH MONDAY EVENING ABOVE 6500 FEET...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Plan on difficult travel conditions.
  Total snow accumulations up to 8 inches, with localized amounts
  around a foot, are possible.

* WHERE...West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada.

* WHEN...From late Sunday night through Monday evening.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Significant reductions in visibility are
  possible with snow and strong wind. Snow levels are expected to
  lower to pass levels late Sunday night or early Monday morning,
  and may lower to near 6000 feet at times.

ski3pin said:
It is May.............................
Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA

...Snow and Strong Wind for Higher Mountain Elevations late
Sunday night through Monday night...
Cool! Maybe this storm will sweep, wash, blow away a lot of excess virus!
:p

MarkBC said:
Cool! Maybe this storm will sweep, wash, blow away a lot of excess virus!
:p
And we were just thinking about pine pollen and smoke from burn piles. Thanks for the broader picture! That would be grand. :)

It even rained a bit overnight down here...very unusual for this time of year. And yes, the local Monterey Pines out back that rain pollen on us keep antihistamine makers in business.

We're on our third day of rain here. Being Bend (at the edge of the high desert, 12" of precip a year), it's not a lot...but I've been hearing dribbling downspouts more than I usually do this time of year. Seems more like the wet Willamette Valley than the arid East Side.

Times are a changing.
On top of the virus the sun is reported to be headed into a similar pattern
it did from the mid 1700s to the mid 1800s. Bringing colder winters and more abnormal weather.
Us humans just can't catch a break.
I guess we worry about one thing at a time. Stay safe.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom