How about a Spring Time WTW Rally - Carrizo Plain ?

On my calendar also.
Clikfr8,it would be tough to avoid major metros going down i-5. And 395 would take a while.
I hear you though. We don't even care to come up to bham much any more it's gotten so busy. Heck even Anacortes is a bit too busy for me in the summers now.

allanb: Bellingham has grown too much for us having been born here. Anaxortes used to be a sleepy little fishing town. The population increased with the arrival of military and refinery retirees. Great neighbors but Anacortes has changed. When we travel, we head east or west on 20 depending on North Cascades Highway being open. The nightmare that is Seattle traffic gets bypassed. We used to leave really early Sunday morning but even that has become busy. We wouldn't mind 395 at all; so many places to explore off that highway and the traffic isn't too bad. Taking awhile is our style.

A PNW rally would be fun. I know there is an Expo NW annually near Leavenworth. We may make it eventually. I would like a meet up to be a little more laid back where we can swap stories and check out gear and mods and meet the dogs and SOs.

Going out to the Plain for New Years Eve to do some preliminary recon and refamiliarize myself with the road net. It's been four years since my last visit. I'll let y'all know how it went.

I'm interested and should be able to attend, usual qualifiers apply of course. I'm not familiar with the area but the links provided above inspire ample interest and I'm not too far from there. Following topic,,,,,,

Did not really look into this until today-under the weather. Spring time is about the only time to play in that area, the only major problem I can see is mud-if we keep having a real winter. I think I'll put this on my maybe list-a long drive for me and i hate driving anywhere in the central valley, so may have to go down 395, then over I'll keep thinking about this!

Smoke

Well, the planned recon trip for this weekend was a bust. :(

Ms. Tuff Chick started with the sniffles on Monday and it manifested into a full blown cold by Wednesday. Thought I was going to skate by, but au contraire mon frere, the contagion spread and I too was waylaid with the Salinian Rhino-plague on New Years Eve day.

On the mend now, just in time to go back to work. :D

Will try again later in the month. We'll see how the roads hold up after a bit of rain.

I'll put my name in as a 'probably', this is right in my backyard. Would be fun to put a face to some screen names.

MotoDave said:
I'll put my name in as a 'probably', this is right in my backyard. Would be fun to put a face to some screen names.

camelracer said:
Count me in.
Sweet!

Hope to see you there. Just a hop, skip and a jump up Hwy. 33 for you guys.

The first Carrizo trip I ran back in "88" started in Ojai with an overnighter at Lyons CG on Sespe Creek.

Mapquest isn't very helpful for Carizzo. Is there a best way from Sacramento? Much as I would like to take a week off and mosey on down I'll probably be lucky to get four days.

Tuff Guy 62 said:
Sweet!

Hope to see you there. Just a hop, skip and a jump up Hwy. 33 for you guys.

The first Carrizo trip I ran back in "88" started in Ojai with an overnighter at Lyons CG on Sespe Creek.
Lyons is closed now, i've hiked through a few times in search of water in the Sespe to do some fly fishing. A bit more hopeful after this winter ... I hope.

craig333 said:
Mapquest isn't very helpful for Carizzo. Is there a best way from Sacramento? Much as I would like to take a week off and mosey on down I'll probably be lucky to get four days.
Map and Guide for Carrizo Plain NM: http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/bakersfield/carrizo.Par.34151.File.dat/CPNM%20Rec%20Map%20Guide.pdf

Coming from the North (I-5) i'd take Hwy 58 and turn in on Soda Lake road, coming in to the Visitor center from the North end of the area.

MotoDave said:
Coming from the North (I-5) i'd take Hwy 58 and turn in on Soda Lake road, coming in to the Visitor center from the North end of the area.
The only issue with the Carrizo is logistical. The area is more remote than one might think and more than once I've had folks run short of fuel. Likely top-off points are.....

From I-5N/Hwy 58E - Buttonwillow
From I-5S/Hwy 166W - Maricopa
From 101N/Hwy 166E - Santa Maria(1)
From 101S/Hwy 58E - Atascadero(2)

(1) There is a gas station in New Cuyama, non 24/7.
(2) There is a gas station in Santa Margarita, non 24/7

Something to keep in mind,the hwy58 road from I5 is narrow/twisty near the "summit".
Not a bad road but slow.Just an FYI.
Might see you all there.
Thanks to Brian for his work.
Frank

My first & only time over that stretch of 58 it was beautiful! The dirt road further to the south redefines twisty and steep, don't think it might be a better option.

ntsqd said:
My first & only time over that stretch of 58 it was beautiful! The dirt road further to the south redefines twisty and steep, don't think it might be a better option.
Roger that. Probably making reference to Crocker Springs/Hurricane Road. I've never traveled that route.

There are literally hundreds of miles of dirt roads which provide access to the monument for further exploration on foot. Unfortunately my trucks have always been 2WD which have severely limited my past visits to the area. Planning on getting a 4WD truck in about three years once the wife's car is paid off. :)

Might be interesting this being an el nino year. I doubt my truck will do much better in mud than it does in snow. If they pack them as hard as NV does it'll be okay.

Just updated my original post. Added a list of those who said they were going. Please PM to have the list update and add how many will be in your party.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom