How about a Spring Time WTW Rally - Carrizo Plain ?

Tuff Guy 62 said:
Roger that. Probably making reference to Crocker Springs/Hurricane Road. I've never traveled that route.

There are literally hundreds of miles of dirt roads which provide access to the monument for further exploration on foot. Unfortunately my trucks have always been 2WD which have severely limited my past visits to the area. Planning on getting a 4WD truck in about three years once the wife's car is paid off. :)
Had to look at a map, yep that's it. It is worth traveling, but don't expect it to be fast. Might best be done East to West - start in the ugly oil patch and work your way towards the pretty.

If I can make (likely) it it will probably be just me, but hopefully my wife will be able to get off work. Steve,,,

Please count my wife and I in. Like Tuff Guy, I have been to the Carrizo many times on field trips. The roads do get quite muddy following rains, but there are lots of really interesting things to see there. If you are coming in from the north or east, be sure to stop at The McKittrick Hotel "Penny Bar" for a cup of coffee or a beer. I tried to insert a link to this place but did not have luck. Just Google it when you have a minute. I think you will find it to be a unique and fun stop.

billharr said:
Just updated my original post. Added a list of those who said they were going. Please PM to have the list update and add how many will be in your party.

Bill
Thanks for planning this. Please count me and my wife in. We live in Santa Margarita just about 50 miles west of Carrizo. Will send PM. Can make prerun or make contact with National Monument people at the visitors center near painted rock if requested. Only two camping places, KCL and Selby. Selby has water for horses, shade structures, tables, fire rings. I'm not sure what's at KCL now, but could check it out. In the spring the hike to Painted rock from the staging parking lot requires a docent. Only about a 1/2 mile hike. Can be pre arranged. We are getting more rain right now than we have had in about 4 years. The Carrizo has been extremely dry for at least three years. This spring should be a spectacular wildflower bloom. Only time will tell.

RandyP said:
Thanks for planning this. Please count me and my wife in. We live in Santa Margarita just about 50 miles west of Carrizo. Will send PM. Can make prerun or make contact with National Monument people at the visitors center near painted rock if requested. Only two camping places, KCL and Selby. Selby has water for horses, shade structures, tables, fire rings. I'm not sure what's at KCL now, but could check it out. In the spring the hike to Painted rock from the staging parking lot requires a docent. Only about a 1/2 mile hike. Can be pre arranged. We are getting more rain right now than we have had in about 4 years. The Carrizo has been extremely dry for at least three years. This spring should be a spectacular wildflower bloom. Only time will tell.
Hey RandyP, I was planning on running down from Salinas at the end of the month to do a recon. I'll send you a PM if your are interested in coordinating efforts.

Big thank you to RandyP and Toff Guy 62. I just had an idea and I am too far away to make every thing happen.

Bill

Attached find a visitors service and recreation Map from CP Record of Decision Resource Plan.
With this map you can see how it is easy to find Soda Lake road from the North traveling hwy 58. Hwy 58 goes across CA from US101 on the coast near Santa Margarita (San Luis Obispo) to Barstow at I15. It crosses hwy 33, I5, 99, 14, 395 to the east. Hwy 58 from mckitterick to Santa Margarita is very windy. From the south Soda Lake road ends on hwy 166, 166 crosses I5, 99 to the east at the base of the I5 grape vine. To the west 166 goes to 101 at Santa Maria. Hwy 166 is an easy 55 mph improved route. If I were coming from the south I'd use 166 to soda lake road then into the Carriza Plane. Soda Lake Road in the CP area is some pavement at each end, then a graded gravel county road.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 140
RandyP and I are heading out heading out to the Plain tomorrow for some recon/ground-truthing.

60% chance of rain Saturday night & 80% chance on Sunday.

We'll report our preliminary findings.

Just a heads up from what I've seen of the campgrounds and the number of people rogering up for this rally is that there may be an issue accommodating everyone in either campground even if you get the entire place to yourselves. Not sure if there is room to double up at the sites or not but just thought I'd point it out. Hopefully the folks doIng the recon can paint a better picture upon their return.

If the timing was better for me I would have been able to help out. My family homesteaded a ranch just south of the KCL campground. We still have the property and it would be great, have to talk to pops, to host a WTW rally. The place is 300+ acres so there would be enough room. The property has a road that would give plenty of access to camping without having to go tear up the place just getting in to camp. There is a trail to the top of Caliente from the property which I've never hiked or biked. I have only been there a couple of times, but heard the stories from my grandmother who lived on the property in a sod house when she was a little girl.

Eric Nelson

Back
Top Bottom