I am starting to really dislike my camper solar

Being plugged in distorted the system performance picture.

At first glance it does look like your power used is bit high for the 160w panel. It looks an average of almost 30amphours per day

Ie almost 360watt hrs (12v x 30ah). According to my charge controller I am between 140wh (cloudy day) and 490wh (very sunny day after cloudy days) average is 240wh (20ah)

My Engel averages 13ah so I am ok with my power usage. When I experimented with refreshing water bottles between a cooler and the Engel I used more than the panel would keep up with.

More battery will not help, all it would do is delay the dead battery.

An mppt charge controller would help some due to its higher efficiency,

If you can’t figure out why your fridge is using so much power, I think you would be better off adding another panel.

Are you full-timing? Do you have a conventional RV propane furnace for heat? Do you expect to be plugged in or boondocking in the winter?

RV furnaces use a LOT of 12 volt power to run overnight, so much so that they've been known to drain a single house battery overnight. Which leads to the furnace not running at 3 am.

MY point here is that if you are just getting by now, you may need to plan for another panel and more battery capacity for winter use.

Saturday Sept 22. 5:20am
Voltage: 12.50V
Current: -0.2A
Power: -2W
Consumed Ah: -33Ah

Will get on the road after breakfast

Hey John - yah, I full-timed in this a couplea years ago over winter (5+ months). I didn't have any issues with running the furnace, just this same problem I've been having.

Machinebuilder: bought a Victron MPPT controller while I was in Flag. I got the bigger one so that I have option to add a panel.
I might just be starting to learn this stuff somewhat. Ha!

Bother, I'm all plugged in at Bosque Bill's house now! I forgot to write down the last reading.
Seems charging from the truck while driving is helping, but I haven't yet tested being "out there" for a few days without either shore power or driving. Bill is going to install my battery separator, and while I'm in ABQ I'm gonna replace my fridge seal.
Sometime next week I'll take off from ABQ and test this all.

(oh, Bill also has a Fleet with same fridge as me and he often gets by fine with his 100W roof solar for days....)

Hi Dawn
Do you have a thermometer that you can use to verify the refrigerator controller.
It would be worth eliminating that as a problem. You can do that at Bills easy enough.

Russ

Russ

I have two thermometers in the fridge, if that's what you mean?
I have had it at 6 - 6.5 for the front to not be too warm. But sometimes that's too high and the back freezes.
Like now - it's 30F in back (too cold), and 38F in front. An 8 degree difference!
It's very variable.

(One in back that is remote, so I can read without opening door, and one in the door I can view by opening fridge.
It gets so much colder in the back.)

I run one of these in my fridge. https://www.campingworld.com/camco-rv-fridge-airator
Evens out the temps. Found it works well in the door tray. Moves cold air from the bottom to the top of fridge.
Helps to not overpack fridge so that air can move around

Paul

I don't overpack the fridge, but I do try to get a decent amount of food, or barring that, water bottles in there.

Thanks for the link, Paul! There's a Camping World here in ABQ, I'll see if they have one in stock. Doesn't say what size it is. Hm.

Vic Harder said:
huh, amazon.ca lists the size of that fan as 20.3 x 7.6 x 15.2 cm

That seems HUGE. Paul, can you verify the size?
The one at the link is the new version. I have the previous one which, as measured, is roughly 4 1/4" x 3 1/4" x 2 3/4"
or about 105 mm x 80 mm x 70 mm.
Your dimensions may be those of the shipping package.

Within the unit is a small squirrel cage type fan, 2 D cell batteries, and a place to put a small packet of activated carbon for odor control.
The unit is essentially silent and seems to run forever on the batteries.

A distinct advantage of the new one is an on/off switch on the outside. Mine requires opening the unit and installing or removing thee batteries. For this reason, I haven't always used it for short trips or when little food is in the fridge. For a largely full fridge, I use it. I have noticed that the fridge maintains a more consistent temp when the fan is on.

Paul

Hey Dawn!

Come back and just plug back into our 110 outlet...problems solved.

First, fridge, the temp will vary with outside and inside ambient temps and if sun is on outside of the unit. A full fridge will actually hold a steadier temp. Variance in the fridge temp is the rule not the exception.

================================

Next the issue of solar and available juice to run your FWC. A caveat, I am not an expert nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn. Sorry if this is a long missive.

With all the thousands of words spilled about "upgrading to a better controller" etc, etc....it strikes me that the issue is simple...you need to have a source of incoming juice that is stored until you use it and if the outgoing power is more than the incoming you will run out of power.

4 sources can provide incoming power: Solar panel , 110 plug-in, truck alternator and a stand-alone charger connected to batteries.

Potential weak links:

#1 Not enough solar input to match what you are using. Could be a range of reasons why; defective solar unit, not enough light on panel or you are using in excess of the solar input. I might note that a dirty solar panel can result in a dramatic reduction in out-put; clean you panel. How much light strikes the panel is highly variable and mostly impossible to mitigate all the time.

#2 Batteries are not adequately storing and releasing the incoming power in sufficient quantities to meet your power demands. Batteries are of insufficient size/aH or defective. Again, you may be using in excess of the systems capacity to delivery power to match you usage.

#3 You separator is not shunting power to your batteries while the motor is running; or, you alternator can not meet the demands of bringing up the charge on your vehicle and FWC batteries. I believe this source of input to the batteries is a limited source of power and of course is dependent on motor running time.

#4 Your FWC charging system from 110 is inadequate or not functioning to capacity.

I may have missed several variables in this synopsis but it boils down to energy in and energy out. Assuming that you are frugal in using the electrical energy if you run out then you need to either generate more juice [more solar or plug in to 110 or run the motor more].

Lastly for what it is worth, I consider an "improved controller" to not be an answer to continually lowering or lost on-board power. Empirically, if you run out of juice you need more input or you need to use less. If a controller is in fact controlling the solar to battery flow of power correctly then how close you are to being out of power is nice to know but not critical if you already know from experience your usage is exceeding the input. Even the "idiot" lights on the Zamp and FWC panels showing "how much charge the batteries still have in them" are merely a reminder to put in as much juice to your batteries as is possible with your system; then use less than that amount.

Oh, remember the Master Power switch must be on for solar generation of power to the batteries...at least with our Q4 system. We leave that switch on at all times since the system will then receive solar and 110 juice.

You are welcome back here anytime, the "kids" miss you.

Phil

CougarCouple said:
Dawn

If you put the front thermometer in the back with the one you can read remotely, do they read the same?

Russ
I put the door thermometer in the back of my fridge with the remote one and left for the day in Bill's truck.
(Mine plugged in to shore power.)

Got back to camper about 9 hours later, and remote one reads 27F and the other one @ 25F.
I didn't change the fridge temp from yesterday.
It killed my avocado. LAME

Wallowa said:
Hey Dawn!

Come back and just plug back into our 110 outlet...problems solved.

<snip>

You are welcome back here anytime, the "kids" miss you.

Phil
Hey Phil!!!

I like your solution! :D

Bill is going to replace my battery separator tomorrow and I'm gonna see about replacing my fridge door seal (it's no bueno)
I'm thinking that I might hafta get another panel, tho it still confuses me why Bill - with the exact same camper as me, except that his is one year older and a roll-over sofa, same fridge and with only 100W solar is fine boondocking for (at least) a couplea days and I'm not.
Could it be as simple as my fridge door seal has been crap since almost Day 1?

I miss the 'kids' too!!! Give them some extra lovin' from me, please!

pvstoy said:
Manual says " the colder zones are immediately above the drawers for fruit and vegetables, near the back wall."

I posted more pages in other post fridge-batteries. http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/17189-fridge-batteries/
<reading your thread now>

(all this solar/electric/truck issues has kept my creative mind occupied so I haven't been writing any travel updates! I gotta get this sorted out so that I feel like writing creatively again! :) )

I think you’re on the right path.

The PWM. Controllers are about 80% efficient, the MPPT controllers are about 95% efficient. That will not hurt to switch to one, I like my Victron. I also got a bigger one so I can run more panels if needed.

Replacing the fridge gasket should help tremendously, I saw on another thread something about a piece that slides and keeps the door from closing completely when not in use. I don’t know anything about this but it might be worth looking in to.

Machinebuilder said:
I think you’re on the right path.

The PWM. Controllers are about 80% efficient, the MPPT controllers are about 95% efficient. That will not hurt to switch to one, I like my Victron. I also got a bigger one so I can run more panels if needed.

Replacing the fridge gasket should help tremendously, I saw on another thread something about a piece that slides and keeps the door from closing completely when not in use. I don’t know anything about this but it might be worth looking in to.

Ignorance on my part, but what do you mean by a controller being "80%" or "95%" efficient?

Thanks...Phil

Back
Top Bottom