I am starting to really dislike my camper solar

pvstoy said:
My D.C. Domitic will also run off ac current.
On my Victron bmp battery monitor I can see the amps and confirm at full charge that it is running off ac because there is not 4 to 5 amps being drawn.
Patrick, is that a continuous 4-5 A or just as startup? Dawn is seeing that continuously, and I thought it high, compared to my 130L TruckFridge.

Vic same as Paul. When starts pulls around 5 amps then slowly drops toward 4 amps at end of cycle.

I have mine running and few items inside, in the shop. I disoneccted ac current for 5 hours. The battery monitor showed 10 amps consumed for 5 hours. Shop 73 degrees and might not cycle as much if more food was in the fridge. But you see how much these consume as why the bigger pannel watts. I do like the freezer size on the 130 liter though.

I've got the dorm-fridge size in my Fleet. I won't be able to get a better fridge til after I get re-employed. Boo.

Once I get to Albuquerque, Bosque Bill is going to install my shiny new battery separator, and I can get some new seal for this fridge and see if that helps.

Dawn,

Before replacing the door seal, which is not cheap, try cleaning the sealing surfaces on both the fridge body and the seal. Then wipe some silicone lube or protectant on the seal and the mating surface on the fridge body.

Also clean the groove into which the back side of the seal fits. The seal should be able move some in and out so that the movement allows compensation for uneven surfaces or differences in the distance between the door and the fridge body.

Over time and use, it is easy to get food stuff on those parts which may result in the door not making a good seal and allowing the cold air to escape.

Paul

Dawn, when you do purchase a new frig/freezer. Take a good look at a top opening model. ARB, Engel, National Luna are a few that come to mind. Not inexpensive, but these units are designed to run efficiently on DC power and consume far less energy. Plus, when you open a top loading unit, the cold air does not fall out as with a side opening frig.

smlobx said:
Boy if there ever was a topic that needs to be covered at Expo East/West this is it!

Thanks to all that have contributed!
Agreed.
But unfortunately, you will have a hard time finding 2 EEs who agree on solar design and components. Further, like electric cars, the world is still waiting for the genius to crack the energy storage nut. 154# worth of two 6V golf cart batteries (costing a truck bed full of coin) ain't it. But, it is one of the better solutions right now. Even for off-the-grid solar homes.

hoyden said:
ADVmoto - definitely have been looking at the top loaders. Would have to get someone to install it with a slide out tho!
Someone posted on the FWC FB page about this fridge - gets great reviews on Amazon. He ordered it too.

https://m.costway.com/54-quarts-portable-electric-car-cooler-refrigerator.html
Before jumping all over that Dawn, realize that LOTS of folks have the same fridge as you, and it works for them. Don't go spending money you don't need to!

Advmoto18 said:
Agreed.
But unfortunately, you will have a hard time finding 2 EEs who agree on solar design and components. Further, like electric cars, the world is still waiting for the genius to crack the energy storage nut. 154# worth of two 6V golf cart batteries (costing a truck bed full of coin) ain't it. But, it is one of the better solutions right now. Even for off-the-grid solar homes.
Just like builders...we all "know" we do a better job than the other guys!

Speaking of 154# of 6V batteries see the email I just sent you about Battle Born Lithium batteries....looks like the prices are coming down from the last time I looked at them!

Hey Vic!
Oh, I'm not changing out my fridge any time soon! Just keeping eyes on future ideas/options. :)

When it rains, it pours...gotta get my Tacoma front brakes done. Blerg.

I'd try 303 on the seal.

Unfortunately charging systems, whether solar or other aren't plug and play and likely won't be any time soon.

I like my front opening fridge much to much to switch even if the chest type is slightly more efficient.

Pretty sure my agm's will be still be going strong when I retire. Lithium prices should drop a lot by the time I need new batteries.

I wrote down a couple readings:

Tues Sept 18 @ 2000 (8 pm)
Use: Fridge, cell phone plugged in, one LED light on (just one side)
96%
12.6V
Current: -2.9A
Power: -36W
Consumed AH: -8Ah
Time Remaining: 1d 9h

Wed Sept 19 @ 0600 (6 am)
12.44V
Current: -3A
Power: -37W
Consumed AH: -29Ah
Time Remaining: 1d

Plugged in at friend's house last night
Drove to auto shop this morning at 0800.

Got truck back from shop and popped up this eve at about 1700 (5 pm)
Not plugged in.

Thurs Sept 20 @ 2000 (8 pm)
12.56V
Current: -2.5A
Power: -31W
Consumed Ah: -14Ah
Time Remaining: 1d 14h

when you check the history tab, it will show you how long it had been since the last fully charged time. its nice to see that being less than 24 hours, meaning that your charging system is keeping up

Since I was plugged in the other night, not sure that will give me good data.

Okay, history:

Deepest Discharge: -29Ah
Last Discharge: -28Ah
Cumulative Ah drawn: -103Ah

Discharged energy: 1.3kWh
Charged energy: 1.6kWh
Synchronisations: 1

Time since last full charge: 19h 2m

I'll be on the road today for a good drive, so I'll have some good info tomorrow, I think
But my battery separator won't be installed until I get to ABQ in a couplea days.

Dawn,

Allow me to clarify what you are seeing here:

1) Deepest discharge ... that's total discharge between full charges, not how much is drawn down on any particular day. Still, it gives you an idea of how much power is being used
2) Time since last full charge = 19 hours... now think back to what was happening 19 hours ago. Were you plugged in? Charging in full sun? Going for a drive?

If I have parked my rig for a few days, I like to see the Time Since Last Full charge being sometime in the last 24 hours, so I know the PV panels are keeping up.

3) I just went back through this thread to see that you have about 160 AH of battery. If you continue using about 30AH a day, then at end of day you should see about an 80% SOC on the display... IF, nothing else is providing a charge. That's pretty good. You should be able to go at least two full days with no charging and still only be at 62%.

Yah, I'm not really listening to these numbers since I was plugged in for two nights (separate, with an unplugged boondock night in-between but I forgot to write down data. :)

I'll keep notes today and tomorrow- tomorrow will be a longer day of driving.

I'll be in ABQ in two days (is that Sunday?), get my separator installed and maybe the new controller if Bosque Bill is up for it (food bribery? :-D )

I'm currently camped up at the Mogollon Rim, Az. I parked in sun, then napped and woke to find somewhat shaded around 2:30, so I moved abt ten feet over to where I'll get sun as the sun goes down.

Its going to be an amazing sunset over the Rim.

Back
Top Bottom