If you had your 'druthers, what's the best choice for a 12V camper fridge?

PokyBro

I'd like to see what recommendations ya'll might have for installing a 12V front opening fridge. From my reading, the Isotherm 130 seems like a common choice among many. They are pricey, but the best deal seems to be with West Marine, for $899, and free shipping to the closest store to you, but not to your home.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1479355441.812732.jpg

It appears that pretty much the same unit is available at Truck Fridge, and is listed as the TF130, and is priced at $599, plus $100 for shipping to your home.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1479355708.514539.jpg

Reviewing what comparisons between the two I have found so far, the Truck Fridge version may not be built to the same level of quality or features as the isotherm. For example, some have suggested the door latch doesn't stay closed all the time, so to prevent having things fall out, some have added an additional exterior latch.

So does anyone have any advice for me? Perhaps norcold, or dometic, might be a better option. I'm not sure, but for those who have some regrets, what would you buy, given you had another choice?

To me if you're going to install a fridge, It might as well have ample room, so maximizing the benefit for the space it takes up in the camper, leads me to think a 130 is probably preferred over a 65 or 85L version.

I'm going to need to know what I'm installing, and the measurements, before I do my inside build for the galley.

Thanks, I'll look forward to your suggestions.

Poky

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Poky,

I just ordered the TF130. I understand that it is built in the same plant as the Isotherm, and there may be slight quality differences. For the price diff, I can't see why I'd go with the more pricey brand. Either will use less power than the Dometic variant.

That said, I haven't even used it yet, so... who knows? It WILL hold a lot of beer tho!

I have the TF130 and like it. It's made by Indel as is the Isotherm and the parts are interchangeable. If you choose either and have an inverter in your camper skip the 120v option. It costs extra and just adds another inverter in the fridge. There's no use in paying for an inverter you already have.

Thinking of a new fridge... I have the Engel. How do the power consumption specs compare? I have 160 W solar. The Engel is low consumption. I see the TF-130 is 60 watt.... but I don't grog how that translates into mA. Here for comparison (as that price is a real deal if is not an energy hog), are the Engel specs.

Attachments

• engel-specs.png
    engel-specs.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 98
Morning buckland
This link converts amps to milliamperes or vise versa so 0.6 amps equal 600ma. http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Watt_to_Amp_Calculator.htm
1amp is equal to 1000 milliamperes

You can work watts to amps or amps to watts, with a/c voltage I used 115v with a power factor of 1. I think your solar power of 160 watts is the amount of power that Panel will put out to your battery under optimum conditions. So if I have this right you take the power consumed by the appliance (refrigerator) per 24 hr period and compare to you ability to recharge your power source (battery) in a 24 hr period.
I think that others use a monitoring system and can track the power leaving the battery and the power coming into the battery. This will also help to show if your solar set up is functioning at is optimal. Vic has a real good thread on here about solar worth the read. I agree with camelracer except if you want to cool fringe and have it stocked up couple days beforehand you might watt plug in to shore power.

I'm new to this so if I got something wrong hope another can correct for me. I look at the two different refrigerators manufacturers specs and see the power consumption for each, the one with the lowest numbers wins in my mind in the efficiency department. The charging of the battery is the other side of the equation, can I get back to full with my solar for the next day. Side note others are saying going to a/c from d/c is not as efficient as just using you d/c power supply.
Russ

I have a nova kool I am happy with They are made in Canada. I received free shipping to dealer store

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

My TF has had no quality issues. Never had the door pop open on its own. Not the most efficient but my solar had no problems keeping up and you can spend the money you save on more solar. You're going to want to go solar anyway right?

My fridge is great. No more soggy food. No more wondering why the water has turned that strange color or hoping you can find ice in time before everything goes bad. Keep the ice chests for beer like nature intended :)

Thanks Cougar. I am still in the electrical learning up period. I somethings "get it" then forget it! Gotta start again. The TF-65 would be my choice if I changed from the Engel. (Space dictated). It requires 24 watts per hour. So then 24 watts per hour divided by 12 volts is 2 amps. (per hour) .....48 amps per day
The Engel states 2.3 amps so pretty much the same....if I am reading the specs right.
I really like the Engel as I can catch and freeze a trout (or 3) ...It stays frozen a long time as it is so well sealed and i have gotten used to Freezing most everything I can before leaving (even a couple 1/2 gallon jugs waters) and using a small cooler as I need to take things from frozen. I can also refreeze the water in the Engel.
Bottom line... my wife... she would like a more easily accessible style...front open as opposed to top... adds counter space too.

I have a dometic 65l I put in my grandby and I would only give it a passing grade. Seems to take a lot of power at 4.5 amps when on and seems to be on a lot. I have 240 watts of solar so It doesn't bother me enough to change it out. I have a portable indel 41 compressor cooler/fridge and I love that. Most of the time it goes along with me in the camper for drinks. Had I had to do it over again, I would want to get a national luna 90l dual fridge and freezer. But at 2,550.00 they are not cheap by any means. But from everyone I have talked to that has a national luna they really are the best of the best. But as I have already spent 700.00 on my fridge and another 500.00 on the compressor cooler/fridge I'll stick to what I have. Wish you the best of luck finding what works best for you.

buckland said:
. . . It requires 24 watts per hour. So then 24 watts per hour divided by 12 volts is 2 amps. (per hour) .....48 amps per day . . .
Unless it is extremely hot out or a poorly insulated frig, they don't run 24 hours a day. I have an old Norcold DE 450D. It runs ~ 30% of the time at 70º - 80ºF ambient temperatures to ~ 50% in 95º ambient. Your refrigerator should use < 24 AH per day.

jim

I'm know what you mean buckland about the electrical. I also am lookin at Engle my 40 top loader.id make the wife happy, even if you got to add solar:). These truck campers are small! Happy wife happy camper right.
Russ

I have a dometic 3 way. I run it almost always on propane. It seems to never use much propane. This way I can park in shade and not worry about having to charge the battery. Now it has it's problems. If you don't park level it quits and doesn't work again until you have been level for days. Nice to have different energy choices for it

bike4mee said:
I have a dometic 3 way. I run it almost always on propane. It seems to never use much propane. This way I can park in shade and not worry about having to charge the battery. Now it has it's problems. If you don't park level it quits and doesn't work again until you have been level for days. Nice to have different energy choices for it
I also use my 3 way all the time on Propane.Haven't had a leveling issue. I always try to get as close to level as possible. Seems the "rule of thumb' is if you are comfortable in the camper than the 3 way will work .
You might have it looked at ,might be some other problem.
Frank

Thanks
I was parked at work for 2 days on a slant. I had everything with me to leave from work to go camping (glamping as our ground dwelling friends call it) So in the future I will level it, or close is good enough.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I appreciate your thoughts and advice. One of the questions that has been answered is whether or not the Truck Fridge version holds up, and it sounds fairly positive from those who have answered about that.

The TF130 and Isotherm 130, both use a bit more power draw than smaller models, but I'm still leaning that way for the flexibility of having plenty of space so an ice chest wouldn't be needed in addition to the 12v fridge, in most instances. Plus the pricing is very close for the 85 and 130. From what many have shared about rv fridges, keeping them full, even with water, is more efficient in the long run to maintain temperatures, and reducing cycling on and off, at least that's my impression.

Anyhow, I'll start drawing up some plans for my interior build soon, and regardless of which brand I choose, I am installing a refridgerator, that much I've decided!

Anyone else care to chime in, please do so!

Poky

Hello fellow wanderers, West Marine has a 15% off sale on thanksgiving day only, for the Isotherm refers. I'm thinking very seriously of jumping on this.

In my original question, Truck Fridge vs Isotherm, the comparison today is like this for the 130.

Truck Fridge 130 .......$599.99 + $100.00 shipping (No discounts for holiday). Total $700.00
Optional installation flange ....$50.00.............................. $50.00
Total. $750.00

West Marine. - 15% off November 24 only
Isotherm 130........$899.99.......-15% off ($135.00)free shipping.....includes flange.....$765.00

So, if you're considering it anyway, maybe today is the best day. If not now, when?

Well shoot...just my luck... I had a great Thanksgiving... but I guess I missed the deal! Don't see it on the site today. If anyone does see it message me!!

Sorry about that Buckland, I hope I didn't spoil the holiday. I just happened to open up the West Marine sight, saw the special and thought I'd try to alert others by posted it. I was in a dilemma all day trying to decide whether to pull the trigger myself, to even get one at all, or what size would suit me best.

At 10:00pm, I decided to go ahead with the 130, even though the 85 is probably large enough. If there was a greater price margin between the two, I probably would have gone with the 85. As it was , it was only $40 more to get the 130 vs the 85.

Power draw is 3.5 amps vs 5.0 amps between the two and was the other consideration in addition to size, so I know I'm going to have to have two batteries and ample solar, but I think I'll be happy with the arrangement. I was planning for two batteries any how.

Now I shouldn't go looking for any other Black Friday deals, they end up costing you money and that was still a pricy purchase.

Is okay... life goes on ....thankfully, I will await another day/ deal..... I listed my Engel on the gear page and not a single hit. It is five years old but only used five weeks! (Wife wants a front open fridge) ... I am happy with the Engel but "happy wife happy life"... or so they say!.... what rhymes with husband?

Back
Top Bottom