If you had your 'druthers, what's the best choice for a 12V camper fridge?

AHA!.... I just jumped off the dock... Cyber Monday at West Marine had 10% off and free shipping (and it came with the flanges) so... I bought the Isotherm Cruise 65. The space I had available was above the Propane tanks on left when entering... it will fit where I now have thew Engel slide in. My wife will either be thrilled when it arrives (she wanted a front open fridge) OR she will be freaked I spent the $. Either way it will be installed in the Spring before the AK trip. I put the Engel for sale in "gear" as well as on Craigs List. That hopefully will put a dent in the cost. (BTW I loved the Engel...great fridge/freezer).

Buckland,

Very cool you got a nice discount from WM as well. Funny how a little nudge will motivate us sometimes to buy, isn't it?

I hope the Mrs will be glad you did it, just make sure to tell her, "I did it just for you sweet pea, just wanted to make it better for you, and babe, you're worth every penny!" She'll eat that up for sure, haha!

I plan on mounting mine in the same location as you are. I sort of wish I had installed my propane box down on the drivers side rear as well, but I was thinking only about a 20lb tank, and it didn't seem like a good fit. I see they actually use two smaller LPG tanks so they will fit in that narrower spot. It would have freed up a bit more room under the galley counter for me (my propane is up front on the drivers side wall). Instead I will have 3 good sized drawers under the fridge, so that will be a nice trade off for ample storage.

Anyhow, good luck with your sweet talking the Mrs! Love to hear how that goes, teehee!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

"I sort of wish I had installed my propane box down on the drivers side rear as well ... It would have freed up a bit more room under the galley counter for me ... Instead I will have 3 good sized drawers under the fridge, so that will be a nice trade off for ample storage."

Poky,

I'm wondering how deep you are making your galley counter/cabinets, and why "that" deep? What is the norm for FWC's with sinks/furnace, etc?

Hey Vic,

Good question. I saw the propane box and door you got from, I think it was FWC, and thought to myself why didn't I think of them as a source for parts? Good thinking on your part. But that's why I said what I did above. With the propane tank on the drivers side wall, it cuts into space quite a bit under the sink and stove, and for my build, I'm kind of wanting to add a hot water heater. If I do that, and add an outside shower, it will be tight, and pretty much limits any under counter space for drawers, or a useable cabinet shelf.

I built a Plywood box for my roughed in set up for now, that is 16-18 inches deep. My cabinet and counter top on the galley will be something like 20-21 inches in depth/ width, enough for the heater to set flush, so I think standard. I based it all mostly off what I would need to fit the heater in under the galley.

Here's what I have for now, and a full custom built cabinet will go in later. You can see the propane box at the front, sticking up above the sink and stove counter height, so I will also have to have a step up counter top there.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1480564889.822186.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom