Meteorological Autumn 2017

MarkBC said:
Sorry, guys. :( You don't deserve our smoke.
Hey, we send tourists your way, you send smoke ours- fair trade. Besides, the smoke helps keep the western lands in people's consciousness here- a good thing these days.

ski3pin said:
A cool rain this evening and the first night with crickets singing outside. Fall is in the air tonight. :)
Yeah, us too. We had .01" rain, just enough to kick off all the fall smells and crickets are singing too. It's a relief from the heat and smoke. This afternoon it got so dark I had to turn on the lights at work and Callie was shaken by the thunder.

It's raining here in Bend! :eek:
Not a lot -- it's the high desert, after all...but my decks are wet.
Earlier this P.M. thunderstorms rolled through -- dry at my house, which is usually a bad thing for fires. But this now is just gentle, quiet rain. It can't be bad. If nothing else it will scrub the air a bit.
Despite the still general smokiness, I opened my windows before dark for the first time in a long time -- it was cool outside. :)

It really feels like fall right now in Bend.
It's 3pm, mostly sunny, and yet I'm closing the sliders because it's just a little chilly! :eek:
No, not cold...but compared to upper-80s just a few days ago, the low-60s feel chilly -- like fall

Well it feels like mid-summer here- no rain for a while, highs in the 90°s, humidity and smoke. Air quality advisory due to smoke and ozone levels. Very strange for September. Hopefully a cool front coming through over the weekend will fix things.

[SIZE=18pt]
orange-alert.png
Special Weather Statement
[/SIZE]
Weather Updated: Sep 16 1:39PM
[SIZE=10.5pt]Issued by the National Weather Service[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]For Central Oregon, Oregon[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT UNTIL 1:30PM PDT SUN ...MUCH COOLER, WETTER AND UNSETTLED WEATHER RETURNS NEXT WEEK... A LARGE TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE INTO THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST NEXT WEEK BRINGING MUCH COOLER TEMPERATURES, SEVERAL ROUNDS OF RAIN AND HIGHER ELEVATION SNOW STARTING SUNDAY NIGHT. PERIODS OF RAIN WILL BEGIN LATE SUNDAY AND CONTINUE AT TIMES THROUGH MUCH OF THE WEEK. THE HIGHEST PRECIPITATION TOTALS WILL BE OVER THE MOUNTAINS, BUT THE LOWER ELEVATIONS WILL ALSO SEE PERIODS OF LIGHT RAIN. A STRONGER LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO MOVE THROUGH THE FORECAST AREA LATE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. THIS COULD BRING A PERIOD OF STEADIER PRECIPITATION AREAWIDE, ALONG WITH WINDY TO PERHAPS VERY WINDY CONDITIONS. SNOW LEVELS WILL BE AROUND 7500 FEET SUNDAY NIGHT AND ARE EXPECTED TO LOWER TO BETWEEN 5000 TO 6000 FEET BY MONDAY AND REMAIN NEAR THAT LEVEL THROUGH THE WEEK. EXPECT WINTER CONDITIONS ON MOUNTAIN ROADS ABOVE ABOUT 6000 FEET, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT AND IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS. TEMPERATURES WILL BE 10 TO 15 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL THROUGH THE WEEK. DAYTIME HIGHS WILL BE IN THE 50S AND 60S IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS, WITH 40S AND 50S IN THE MOUNTAINS. OVERNIGHT LOWS WILL BE IN THE 40S, EXCEPT UPPER 20S AND 30S IN THE MOUNTAINS. PEOPLE PLANNING TRAVEL OR OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES, ESPECIALLY IN THE MOUNTAINS SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR THESES CHANGING CONDITIONS. [/SIZE]
As the Starks of Winterfell say, "Winter is coming!"

:unsure:

Kirkwood got several inches of snow yesterday.
Big shift from the extreme heat CA/OR/NV experienced this summer.

Tomorrow is my twelfth year shooting a woman's triathlon to raise funds for breast cancer.
All told, I've been a volunteer for twenty years, but now my work is exclusively as event photographer.
We'll be breaking out some fleece and possibly down jackets at Scotts Flat reservoir before 8am.

Lighthawk said:
Kirkwood got several inches of snow yesterday.
Big shift from the extreme heat CA/OR/NV experienced this summer.
Alas, not a bit of it around today..............................

In Bend we've had rain at times the past few days, and the temperatures have been 10 - 20°F below normal. Snow in the mountains.
Today I almost turned the furnace on in my house for the first time since spring...but I didn't.

MarkBC said:
Today I almost turned the furnace on in my house for the first time since spring...but I didn't.
We did. :)

Rain has started. It is forecast to last through tomorrow. High snow level.

Back
Top Bottom