Meteorological Autumn 2017

Seems like the wind never stops here any more! Real fast change to fall here, one say the green aspens leaves are shaking away in the breeze, a couple of days they are yellow, over night they are on the ground! Temps also doing weird things like 80 one day , below freezing next night (some places in the teens) with day temps in the low 60's, a 20 degree shift. Yep, another strange weather winter me thinks!

I was heading to the coast, then north, but it sounds like my old stomping grounds are burning up Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino Counties and the Bay Area and my usual ways over to the coast on HY-20 by Clear Lake may be a problem. Boy sure sounds like a mess over there with the wind pushing the flames something else. Just heard my old JC (Santa Rosa) along with parts of Santa Rosa, and Kenwood, evacuated. Maybe I'll wait and play things by ear for now!

Smoke

Thankfully the winds are dying down now. I can breathe again. Hopefully that'll be enough to get the fires under control.

Smokecreek1 said:
<snip>

I was heading to the coast, then north, but it sounds like my old stomping grounds are burning up Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino Counties and the Bay Area and my usual ways over to the coast on HY-20 by Clear Lake may be a problem. Boy sure sounds like a mess over there with the wind pushing the flames something else. Just heard my old JC (Santa Rosa) along with parts of Santa Rosa, and Kenwood, evacuated.
We know two families that lost everything (but lives saved!) in the middle of the night in the Santa Rosa fire.

In Bend we've already had many days this season when it was too cold for me to have house windows wide open, and today may be the "warm" day last of the season.

Weather_20171025-1.jpg

So I'm taking advantage of the mild temps today, and it's out with the bad air, in with the good!
:)

...the better to hear all the chirping and chattering at my bird feeders.
Four big bushy-tailed Western Gray Squirrels foraging in the duff under the feeders...occasionally chasing each other: "Hey, this is my territory, buddy!"

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Mark has the big buck come around anymore?
Very hot here on the coast upper80s/90s way too hot for us.
Although cooling is on the way.
Frank
Frank, Mr Big Rack died about 2 years ago, hit by a car at the ripe old age of 10 (ODFW estimate). The ODFW guys said the factor that allowed him to live so long -- living in the metro area, where he can't be hunted -- also, eventually led to his death by vehicle.

Well, we have had a nice autumn, but the forecast for Friday is 1-3 inches of snow with one model showing 4-7 inches. Looks like an early winter here...

Here's a pic of snowberries from our yard today- seemed appropriate. :)

gallery_2966_407_524079.jpg

Four days off, nice weather no matter where I head. Probably coast, been some time since I headed that way. 395 might be more tempting come 11-1 when the fuel hikes kick in. Probably will be fueling up in Topaz a bit more often now.

Code:
Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
1010 AM PDT Mon Oct 30 2017

CAZ013>019-063-064-066>069-311200-
Shasta Lake Area / Northern Shasta County-
Burney Basin / Eastern Shasta County-Northern Sacramento Valley-
Central Sacramento Valley-Southern Sacramento Valley-
Carquinez Strait and Delta-Northern San Joaquin Valley-
Mountains Southwestern Shasta County to Northern Lake County-
Clear Lake/Southern Lake County-
Northeast Foothills/Sacramento Valley-Motherlode-
Western Plumas County/Lassen Park-
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
Including the cities of Shasta Dam, Burney, Redding, Red Bluff,
Chico, Oroville, Marysville/Yuba City, Sacramento,
Fairfield/Suisun, Stockton, Modesto, Alder Springs, Lakeport,
Paradise, Grass Valley, Jackson, Chester, Quincy, and Blue Canyon
1010 AM PDT Mon Oct 30 2017

...Rain and Mountain Snow later this week...

Pacific storm is forecast to impact the forecast area later this
week. Precipitation could begin in the Shasta mountains by
Thursday afternoon, spreading across most of Interior Northern
California Friday. Bulk of the precipitation and breezy conditions
expected Friday night through Saturday. Snow levels will initially
be above 6500 feet Friday, but lower to 4000 to 5000 feet Saturday
behind the cold front. Precipitation winds down by Sunday morning.

Impacts: Several feet of snow is possible over the higher terrain
which could impact travel. Significant rainfall is possible in the
Central Valley and Foothills. Rain slick roads can be expected
with localized flooding from leaf-clogged drains and ash flows
around recently burned areas.

Timing: Bulk of precipitation and breezy conditions expected
Friday night through Saturday.

Rainfall Totals: Around 1 to 2 inches in the Central Valley, 1 to
4 inches in the foothills.

Looks like we in Central Oregon are going to have some Special Weather, too, according to this Statement: :eek: :)

Special Weather Statement for Central Oregon, Oregon

... COLDER AND WET CONDITIONS EXPECTED LATE THIS WEEK THROUGH THE WEEKEND...
LARGE UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE SOUTH FROM THE GULF OF ALASKA, APPROACHING THE REGION BY FRIDAY, LINGERING THROUGH THE WEEKEND.
SIGNIFICANTLY COOLER CONDITIONS, ALONG WITH WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION, WILL ENTER THE INTERIOR PACIFIC NORTHWEST BY FRIDAY, PERSISTING THROUGH THE WEEKEND. SNOW LEVELS WILL FALL TO BETWEEN 2500 AND 4500 FEET FRIDAY, LOWERING FURTHER TO 1000 TO 2500 FEET BY SUNDAY. ACCUMULATING SNOWS CAN BE EXPECTED AT THE HIGHER PASS LEVELS, WITH THE FIRST SNOWS OF THE SEASON POSSIBLE AS LOW AS THE VALLEY FLOORS. SOME ACCUMULATING SNOW IS POSSIBLE FOR THE YAKIMA AND KITTITAS VALLEY SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY. ACCUMULATING SNOW IS NOT EXPECTED FOR THE LOWER ELEVATIONS OF OREGON, WITH A CHILLY RAIN PREVAILING.
TRAVELERS TO THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR REDUCED VISIBILITY IN SNOW, AND FOR SLICK ROADWAYS.
  • Issuing Office: Pendleton Source: National.Weather.Service
    4:22am PDT, Thu Nov 2
Guess it's about time for me to get my winter avatar out from storage...

MarkBC said:
Looks like we in Central Oregon are going to have some Special Weather, too, according to this Statement: :eek: :)

Guess it's about time for me to get my winter avatar out from storage...
:)

Cold here today with dense cloud cover........................

ski3pin said:
sorry, I don't want to drive the tractor that far to help with snow removal. :)

Cold rain here.
If I wasn't so lazy I would have done what I said I'd do after last winter's snowmageddon: Move my house 100 feet closer to the street.
But I didn't... I blame it on the solar eclipse.

MarkBC said:
If I wasn't so lazy I would have done what I said I'd do after last winter's snowmageddon: Move my house 100 feet closer to the street.
But I didn't... I blame it on the solar eclipse.
We could get one of those big expedition vehicles and a log chain and drag it 100 feet for you. :)

Realistically, I think the odds of back-to-back record-snow winters are small. And as annoying as it was, it did give me weeks of regular upper-body workout without breaking my back.

Back
Top Bottom