Meteorological Autumn 2017

Ha, 91° F forecast high here tomorrow. Mother nature is standing on her head again. Longer term, I imagine we will be getting what you guys are having. The leaves are beginning to turn and the flowers are fading. But for now, it's still summer here. :)

takesiteasy said:
Ha, 91° F forecast high here tomorrow. Mother nature is standing on her head again. Longer term, I imagine we will be getting what you guys are having. The leaves are beginning to turn and the flowers are fading. But for now, it's still summer here. :)
Wow, quite warm for you! We are cool but expected to warm up next week.

Tomorrow the skies catch up to meteorological Fall! :)

Nice and mild here in Barcelona today.
The temps seem to be around low 70s for a while.
Life is hard here,so much good food/wine/coffee,great times with daughter.

IMG_0129.jpg
our campsite Barcelona

IMG_0130.jpg
lunch today Flax & Kale Resturant

IMG_0133-1.jpg
daughter myself.More adventures. This weekend
is the Autumn festival.
Frank

Nice Frank, nice! Here it seems like we are going from summer right into winter with no fall. Summer temps to almost winter temps with the oaks still not turning color and the aspen still green and just turning yellow! Did I mention snow in the high country and some roads closed. I guess I should not bitch, still got some wood to split and stack, and it is easier when it is not snowing!

Smoke

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Nice and mild here in Barcelona today.
The temps seem to be around low 70s for a while.
Life is hard here,so much good food/wine/coffee,great times with daughter.
Frank, have fun in Barcelona (hard not to). Watch out for those Catalan separatists though, haha.

takesiteasy said:
Frank, have fun in Barcelona (hard not to). Watch out for those Catalan separatists though, haha.
Al there are a lot of rallys but not in the area we have the apartment in.
The 1st should be interesting as that's the vote date.
We'll just stay out of the way and have fun.
Frank

Smokecreek1 said:
Nice Frank, nice! Here it seems like we are going from summer right into winter with no fall. Summer temps to almost winter temps with the oaks still not turning color and the aspen still green and just turning yellow! Did I mention snow in the high country and some roads closed. I guess I should not bitch, still got some wood to split and stack, and it is easier when it is not snowing!

Smoke
At home we have noticed that the Liquid-Ambers have already started to turn. Some are really dark maroon.
Seems early but the temps have been all over the place.The plants are all messed up.
Frank

The temps they are a-changin.

The high today was 82F (just as forecast, below) and will likely be the last 80 we see this year in Bend.

Weather_Bend_20170928-1.jpg

MarkBC said:
The temps they are a-changin.
Yes they are and we are already acclimatizing! After our record breaking heat wave, the end of last week the highs were only in the 50's. Today it warmed up to 75°. It felt hot!

During the day, our rule is all the doors and windows open when the outside temperature hits 60°.

We are indeed drifting into shorter days and the cold of the coming winter. Yes! :)

Fall colors are beginning to show in Nevada City, where there is a wonderful display in October.

Sadly the season for jumping into alpine lakes has come to an end.
We calculated our season for lake swimming is only about six delightful weeks per year.
Time to focus on hot springs trips. :cautious:
And East Side fall colors!

Its been an interesting year. From roads closed due to fires to having an unexpected visit from my best friend who moved to georgia, I haven't got out as much as I'd liked. Somewhat selfishly I'm hoping the snows hold a bit. Work says we'll be slow in November. Such a great time to visit DV if the passes stay open.

Maybe the first freezing night in Bend coming up tonight:

[SIZE=18pt]
orange-alert.png
Freeze Warning
[/SIZE]
Weather Updated: Oct 01 8:30AM
[SIZE=10.5pt]Issued by the National Weather Service[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]For Central Oregon, Oregon[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]FREEZE WARNING FROM 12AM PDT MON UNTIL 9AM PDT MON ...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM PDT MONDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PENDLETON HAS ISSUED A FREEZE WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM PDT MONDAY. * TEMPERATURES...29 TO 35. * TIMING...NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES WILL BE POSSIBLE AFTER MIDNIGHT THROUGH EARLY MONDAY MORNING. * IMPACTS...SENSITIVE OUTDOOR PLANTS OR GARDENS SHOULD BE PROTECTED TO PREVENT FREEZE DAMAGE. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT OR HIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER SENSITIVE VEGETATION. && [/SIZE]
It's not really as big a deal as "Warning" makes it seem -- only 32°F is forecast for Bend -- it's just that it's kinda early in the colder season, and some folks may still have cold-sensitive plants/crops outside. Otherwise they'd be issuing "Freeze Warning" every night for several months.

I was looking out the kitchen window, watching birds make pigs of themselves at my feeders...and saw a few raindrops fall.
Then it got heavy and then it got white!
Tiny hail -- petite-pea-size. I think rain was in the forecast, but hail was a surprise.

Hail_20171002_174040-2.jpg
(fone foto)

ski3pin said:
The wind is howling here tonight. It will be a sea of downed pine needles tomorrow.
I remember those days of pine needle clean up after a heavy wind.
You have just raked them all up and next thing you know the wind brings
down more.
It's a continues job.
Ski what do you do with them after raking them? Burn haul to a local shredding place?
Frank

Back
Top Bottom