Mosquito Fire

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
This fire is to the north of us burning in the Middle Fork of the American River canyon. The column is terrifying and utterly impressive from our home today. Unfortunately, I've seen much bigger columns, and much closer. We are not in danger - unless there's dramatic change - but others are.

Inciweb Mosquito Fire

A good view is from the - Bald Mountain lookout

We are not enjoying the smoke!

**I should add that with the hazardous air quality we are a hostage to the house once again.....

We won't be opening any windows tonight so I'll be sleeping on the couch. There is an AC unit in the living room and one at the other end of the house. My bedroom is miserably in the middle. But I will count some blessings - it has been a decent summer so far and during the Tamarack fire last year they had to turn off the power for a couple of days. I know people in both Foresthill and Georgetown. I can take a night on the couch.

My older brother lives just south of Georgetown in an Evacuation Warning Zone. I just heard the horses were moved to safety. Another friend is in the Crystal Basin helping evacuate an old summer range homestead in case the fire makes a big run to the east - its most probable path.

We thought and hoped we could get through this season without another fire. It's not working out that way.

The smoke was awful here this morning but much worse down the hill.

I've been watching it on the Bald Mountain cam. Scary and impressive. Was last at 13700 acres. Hate to think what its going to be in the morning. One more day of hot weather.

9pm tonight we hit 239 very unhealthy. Looks bad out there, lucky it is dark to not really see the fog. Should have stayed on vacation... Blah!
Airnow1.JPG
airnow2.JPG
Airnow3.JPG

We feel for you. We have bad smoke and ash too, from a fire that roared up suddenly yesterday. We had been climbing a peak there just the day before. Yikes.

pvstoy said:
9pm tonight we hit 239 very unhealthy. Looks bad out there, lucky it is dark to not really see the fog. Should have stayed on vacation... Blah!
406 here this morning. Only good news is it is a sign of little wind to push growth of the fire.

Here's a video of some guys on Mt Baring yesterday. Scary since we were on the next ridge just two days ago.

Anyway, hope your area is ok! 406 is bad. We are only 170 here.

Serious question:
Those of you breathing smoke. If you are retired, have a camper on wheels, why aren't you elsewhere?
Can't be healthy.

JaSAn said:
Serious question:
Those of you breathing smoke. If you are retired, have a camper on wheels, why aren't you elsewhere?
Can't be healthy.
In our case because there's a big fire nearby that may come this way.

We ,with our daughters,have been at a rented cabin across form our old one in Dorrington.
We came up Tuesday during the 112* temp.Next day the smoke started to show up buy
Friday the air quality was above 200.Almost thought about cutting pour stay short but buy
next morning the wind picked up and the air was back to the healthy zone.

Today there is a little down in the Stanislaus river canyon but air is still healthy. With temps in high 70*s
it's very comfortable.

Glad to see the hot cell move away.
Frank

Good news, bad news is that the wind picked up and air quality greatly improved, now 130. Unfortunately it probably moved it to the Tahoe basin and Carson Valley. Just checked, Alpine Meadows is currently a horrifying 635 with Carson City 250.

Some years we'll have fires north south west and east and even the other western states are on fire. Not always easy to avoid the smoke. We're fortunate this year. No fires to the West yet.

JaSAn said:
Serious question:
Can't be healthy.
Timing is not good to leave. Just got back from Pantanal Brazil for a 4 week trip. Sorting and culling images from trip and tiring to meet deadline for two photo contest on Sept 15. Also catching up on chores and commitments from being gone. Not good for me with my vocal cord health, it is not good to be breathing the air. So stay inside as a hostage with air purifier on and central air.

To much smoke even here in the NE. When it hit this time it was the first real smoke we had this year and it literally stopped me for the last few days from loading my truck for a run up to Warner Valley and points east-guess was not ready for the smoke again? Any way rain is on the way today, so I'll finish up packing and try for Wednesday :rolleyes:!

Smoke

ski3pin said:
Good news, bad news is that the wind picked up and air quality greatly improved, now 130. Unfortunately it probably moved it to the Tahoe basin and Carson Valley. Just checked, Alpine Meadows is currently a horrifying 635 with Carson City 250.
and Walker/Coleville/Topaz. The smoke always ends up here. 260, visibility is less than a mile. Dusk all day. I feel sleepy.

Back
Top Bottom