New Hawk owner

Most of your fittings appear to be PEX or Poly pipe quick-connects, something like these: Watts Quick-Connects , John Guest Speedfit.

The fill line is probably 1-3/8" Smooth-Bor hose. There are a few sizes available 1-1/4" to 1-1/2", double check before ordering. It's available at RV shops and Amazon. FWC sink drains typically use the 3/4" diameter Smooth-bor. I've got a problem with my new smooth-bor fill pipe leaking, think I know why but haven't resolved it yet. I used style #101, I'm going to experiment with style #101F with the flattened fitting area. Mine initially had some type of sealant goop on it, I might end up putting something back in there but am trying to avoid it.

A couple of fittings on mine had 3/8" tube stretched out to fit 1/2" PEX adapters (~.410"), I think I still have one in there somewhere . . .

Somewhere here, I believe I read that pex line is used. http://www.pexinfo.com/
A "This Old House" episode showed a special tool to expand the line which closes over the fitting.

My high speed short term memory may be messing with what I recall at this point. :)

Paul

Ps. Looks like I should have refreshed the page before posting. Way to go, Wuck. ;)

OK, it has been a while since I posted in this thread. Been having a lot of fun with the build. Time to catch up with the documentation!

First, the camper as I picked it up had some stick built cabinets on the driver's side. They had to come out to accommodate the fridge. I also decided that I needed to know where all the studs were, so ALL this inside paneling had to come out too.

Existing cabinets:

full

Exposed studs in this gallery
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/album/1099-stud-locations/

Propane box:
full

full

full

Fridge install:

full

L channel that holds the fridge in place - prevents horizontal movement and thus any forward and back too

full

inside of new vent

full

How compressor bits line up with the new vent

full

top rear of fridge alignment with camper

full

Top side of fridge

full

extra insulation on side of fridge - provides a bit of clearance for the additional fan I am installing at the side of the compressor coils

full

extra insulation on inside of camper where fridge sits

Wow Vic, you're going to have a new camper when you're done. Thanks for the updates!!

New to us anyway! I snapped some more pics today to show cabinet making progress

Making the cuts - the face of the cabinets was the trickiest part for me. I wanted a very clean look in the camper, and debated using the older style slider or this more complicated method. The latest look with many small cabinet doors looks cluttered to me, and means that you can't have big bins anywhere. Since we plan to cook outside, we wanted minimal individual nooks. Of course, this can all be changed now. I built it... I can change it!

This shows the major cuts made with the table saw
full

Cuts finished, I test fitted it
full

This is the area where the water lines will go
full

Fitment around fridge area
full

This is the propane box with storage both above and below it: Dust pan below, who knows what above. The propane tank has yet to be fitted, but the inlet for the propane is just behind the 3 switches - flood lights, porch light, and inside floor level lighting.
full

Then came the piano hinge doors. We decided to open the bigger upper cabinet doors so that they fold down. That way they intrude into the space only the height of the doors (13") vs if they open up sideways like most kitchen cabinets, each door would be 18" long. Plus this way we get a table of sorts when the door is folded open!
full

full

The cabinet below that also folds open down. With it closed, you can just spot the Blue Sea fuse block. It tucks up nicely and isn't visible when standing. The wires run under the cabinets. Accessible without being visible.

full

full

The taller cab at the front is where the water lines run. I added a Blue Sea faucet and power switch for the water pump. Faucet turns every which way, so if we decide to mount a sink later I can move the faucet over for a more traditional look. As it is, we can put a wash basin or water bottle under the faucet and fill up from the tank. Plumbing is not finished, but you can see i provided access to the pump and stuff from inside the cabinet, and the shots of the water pump from the side are from the storage area above the water tank. The gauges are for the Victron Energy solar system - MPPT controllers top and bottom, Battery monitor in the middle.

full

full

full

full

In these shots you can see the 140mm fan I added to the fridge ventilation system. The stock fan on the TruckFridge pulls air into the camper, and would vent under the fridge. I added this fan and wired it to come on with the existing fan. It moves a lot more air than the stock fan, and is quieter too. Now there is a real breeze over the fridge coils! I've spotted a nice finger guard for the fan that I pick up and add later.
full

full

Overall look pics - and yes the cabinets are dirty! I have yet to clean them up, finish sand and rub them down with Danish Oil.... waiting for warmer weather so I can ventilate the garage. The front cabinet houses the water tank on the left and batteries and electrics on the right. AC power from inverter, inverter power switch, and DC outlets all nice an close to their power source.

full

Passenger side. One long piano hinge to cover the small storage area on the "seat". I much prefer looking down into my storage area if I have the choice, compared to squatting and reaching in from the side.

full

full

full

full

Water box
full

Wow! Great progress - looks like you'll be ready come spring. It's a bit of extra hassle to cut the doors out and keep the grain matched while wrestling plywood sheets on a table saw, but I think well worth it.

got the in cabinet lighting working last week...

floor lighting - switch is below fridge so it can be flicked on before trying to enter the camper
full

lower cabinet has lights too

full

As does the main cabinet above it

full

And the tall water hose/future furnace cabinet

full

More updates:
Sanded and applied Danish oil. Sanded again and reapplied and rubbed down with 000 steel wool. Attached the turnbuckle doors, laid floor.

Had to test the fridge with the essentials loaded
full

Storage over the water tank and battery box
full

Rear pax side
full

Front Pax side

full

Looking in - Home Depot vinyl plank flooring. 60" long, and the camper is 58" wide, so it fit very nicely when laid horizontally. I wasn't sure I would like it that way, but it does make the camper feel wider.

full

Fridge closed

full

Front driver's side - the "to do list" is way to handy

full

Nice job Vic. I see some clever ideas, that are new to me, such as the slot to see the amount of water in the tank - is there an internal light so that you can see the level easily?

Nice work. If you want to make the cabinets pop add some edge trim tape. Goes on with a hot iron will cover the plywood edges.

717185342107.jpg

Nice Design Vic !

Another way to finish the plywood edge is with a trim "fence" typical of boat interiors,,,,common practice is to leave open corner on the trim so one can sweep off the crumbs and etc.

You must be excited to get your rig on the road.

DavidGraves

OutbacKamper said:
Nice job Vic. I see some clever ideas, that are new to me, such as the slot to see the amount of water in the tank - is there an internal light so that you can see the level easily?
Thanks, but I borrowed that idea from this awesome forum somewhere. I purposely did not put a wood cover over the water tank so simply lifting the lid allows enough light in to see the level. Should be handy!

Back
Top Bottom