No Destination : hoyden and two dogs hit the road full-time

buckland -

I agree that the mind needs something to focus on or it'll go weird. I do like my alone time, but it does tend to take me a little while to get into the rhythm of alone-on-the-road. That said, I do notice that having something to accomplish does help. I have a few tasks I want to accomplish - if I pick up a sewing kit I can hem my laundry bag. It's far too long and needs to be smaller. I rearranged my kitchen stuff! Got my pots and pans under the sink now, and food in the up containers. I think it works better.

The dogs give me something to focus on too, and that is good.

It's definitely an adventure and I'm really enjoying it - especially now that it's not raining!

I didn't realize that the Delorme InReach had the weather service. I currently have a SPOT so that I can send "okay" to a few folks (mom, cousin, couplea friends) and it also has the panic button. (I've set the messages for middle one as "vehicle issues stuck" and the SOS is for physical me issues). I'm not sure when my service expires, but I'll look into the InReach again.

Thanks for the San Lorenzo Canyon recommendation! It looks great! I'll likely keep that under my belt for when I come back through - I'm currently in Cloudcroft, NM and looking to head towards Carlsbad Caverns tomorrow :)

ski3pin - Your comments always get me in the feels, as they say. :) Thank you! I really hope we meet up sooner than later!

ski3pin said:
Lady Bug, your stories are a family affair around here. "What's Lady Bug up to now?" is a question asked by the Lady when she sees the familiar WTW banner across the screen. Last evening we read together all of your posts on this thread. We admire your ability and desire to honestly share your concerns, worries, successes, and growth as an outdoor woman. You are sifting through so many of life's puzzles and distilling it down to what is really important and matters.

Worries, cares, mishaps are around every corner. You are learning to handle them with grace and a sense of discovery.

Your journey is quite the undertaking and we continue to wish you the very best.

Perhaps, one day we will cross paths.

Dogs are the best! They, by their nature and our agreement to have them grace our presence, require us to be focused on their meager needs. Spiritually you are strenghtened by helping others... but with dogs it is double return. Since my girl Ginger passed last year there is a hole in my existence... and I may may say I have become less active...of the kind that is a healthy walk twice a day routine regardless of the weather. I have a big 2 month + trip coming up in the camper that I am excited about... and some of that is when I come home will get a new four paw companion... or two.

Very Large Array and new friends

Going to visit the VLA has long been on my list. I left the rainy Datil Well Campground around 9:30am thinking I should get to town to check the weather report since I had no connectivity out there. I went to the one gas station in Datil and talked with the fellow working. He said that snow was forecast, so I decided to skedaddle south and east. No checking the dice for this one - I wanted away from this storm system.

I thought I'd missed the turn-off for the VLA, and because it was so overcast and wet I'd resigned myself to having to go back another time. However, the Visitor's Center entrance sign popped up and so I made the turn off and went to see the VLA!
SO COOL!

P1010058-VLA-sign-truck.jpg

P1010057-VLA-truck.jpg

I felt like a little kid while I did the walking tour. Albeit, a cold one... Brrrr. Totally worth it!

P1010056-VLA-01.jpg

The nice lady at the Visitor's Center told me that there are four different arrangements of the array and that "A" is the one where the dishes are closest together, and that they are currently in "D" - the most spread out configuration.

Even the tiles in the bathroom were spacy!

P1010063-VLA-bathroom-tile-01.jpg

There is a sculpture on the property that "represents the three tracks of the VLA and the floating, three-dimensional natures of the objects the VLA studies." I couldn't help but think of my aquatic dream from a few nights ago about how sea creatures must have such wholly different perceptions of space and time than we do because of their moving through three dimensions in a way that we don't. I wonder if my subconscious was anticipating this visit.

P1010062-VLA-sculpture-with-flag.jpg

The clouds were heavy and not going away, so I continued south and east. The weather was so oppressive that I got kind of tunnel-vision and my instinct was "get out of this storm system." I called my mom and she looked up radar and told me it was a storm traveling northeast covering a giant swatch of New Mexico.

One of the folks here on Wander the West sent me a message a few days ago offering a meal and a warm guest room near Alamogordo, NM. I sent "highz" a reply asking if short-notice today or tomorrow would be good to meet? I got a reply quickly and set out to meet my new online friend in Alamogordo.

We met up on the side of the highway - easy to spot other Four Wheel Camper folks. It was a brief chat in the rain, then up highway 82 to Cloudcroft. We drove the steep, twisty, rainy road up... and up... and up! Cloudcroft is over 8000' high in the ... clouds.

P1010066-rain-to-Cloudcroft.jpg

Pugsly took that photo.

It was still raining when we arrived at the cozy mountain home, and I wondered if I'd get snowbound, but decided not to worry about it. C'est la vie, eh?

It stopped raining sometime during the night, and I woke up a lovely morning!
Two happy campers!

P1010068.jpg

We took a drive up to the Sloan Foundation Telescope (SDSS) where "highz" recently retired from working as an Astronomer! Neat!

From the view up there, the 2.5 meter telescope enclosure and then in the second pic, can see White Sands far below in the Tularosa Basin (the basin is about the size of small eastern US state!)

P1010072-telescope.jpg

P1010073-white-sands.jpg

We next went to the National Solar Observatory - 9250' elevation! I got to play with stuff in the Visitor's Center! Scienceing! Yay!

P1010078.jpg

As we were leaving "highz" told me that the highway number up there - 6563 - was chosen by the Observatory.

P1010080.jpg

6563 is the wavelength (in Angstroms) that is emitted when the electron in a hydrogen atom jumps from the 2nd excited state to the 1st excited state. It is often used to study the photosphere of the sun. This transition is also called "H-alpha", hence the highway is called the "H-alpha highway" to those in the know.

Geek inside jokes! This place is great!

buckland said:
Dogs are the best! They, by their nature and our agreement to have them grace our presence, require us to be focused on their meager needs. Spiritually you are strenghtened by helping others... but with dogs it is double return. Since my girl Ginger passed last year there is a hole in my existence... and I may may say I have become less active...of the kind that is a healthy walk twice a day routine regardless of the weather. I have a big 2 month + trip coming up in the camper that I am excited about... and some of that is when I come home will get a new four paw companion... or two.
Doggies are the best! I am so happy to have these two beasts along. I'm sorry to hear about your Ginger but I'm glad you are going to bring another four-pawed creature into your home and heart soon!

Merry Christmas! Are you putting up lights on the camper? We got some little LEDs for ours that we use all year around. Continue posting pictures. Gives us all an idea of places to visit!

Merry Christmas to you too!

I thought about putting some led lights on, but didn't end up getting any. I do have stockings for the doggies and a menorah, so we'll do Christmas and Hanukkah on the road :-D

Thanks!

"highz" has been a wonderful host, and today doggies and I are heading to Carlsbad Caverns! Yay!

Landed in Big Bend 4 or 5 days ago and have very little connectivity! I have a bunch of posts written up, but on my laptop... Hmm. Bet I could bring that in here to the visitor's center and post. I'll try to do that shortly.

Anyway, wanted to pop in and say hi! Pugsly, Argos, and I are still kickin'. :)

After spending a couple of days at gracious host "highz"'s place (and shower and laundry!) I headed out.

Carlsbad Caverns

I’m not a big fan of the over-developed National Parks tourist attractions, so while I wanted to see caverns, I also didn’t want a circus like is at the Grand Canyon South Rim, for example. When I pulled into the Carlsbad parking lot, I immediately wanted to turn around and leave. It was Christmas Eve day and I mistakenly assumed most folks would be happily baking Christmas pecan pie for the Eve dinner. I was horribly mistaken. The parking lot was crawling with tourists from in-state, out of state, out of the country… children, adults, dogs unhappily barking from barely cracked car windows. It was a mess.

The tour of the Big Cavern takes about three hours if you walk down the 750 feet, or an hour and a half if you take the elevator down. My knee wasn’t too happy and I was a bit anxious about leaving the dogs in camper in the parking lot for too long, so I opted for the elevator.

When the elevator doors opened and I stepped out, I almost stepped right back in. There’s concessions right there in the caverns. Gross.

P1010083-deep-concessions.jpg

I held my nose and walked to the cavern walkway. After letting my eyes adjust, I set out on the “stay on the path” walk through the large ‘room’.

P1010103-across-cavern.jpg

Initially, it felt very Disney with areas lit up for our viewing pleasure, but as I continued I was really astounded by the immensity of the cavern and by the fact that this place I was walking was millions of years old. I felt like I was walking in Ray Bradbury’s “The Butterfly Effect” story where one step off the path, an accidental squashed butterfly, can change the course of history.

P1010084-popcorn-stalagmites.jpg

It's too damn slow a connection to post all the pics. Will post some, but publish others later with an update.

P1010093 hanging things.jpg

P1010098 otherworldly.jpg

Don’t drop anything in the pools! This water hasn’t been disturbed in a very long time. There are microbes and critters that have never seen sunshine.

P1010104 clear water.jpg

It really is an amazing place. Of course the geek in me thought it was straight out of a Star Trek episode, and it really is otherworldly. Which, it kind of is in that it’s not of the world we normally interact with. That 3-D thing again. I wonder if this multi-dimensional theme will continue for more of my road trip?

[SIZE=12pt]It’s odd to say that it initially felt somewhat claustrophobic considering the grandness of the caverns, but too much thinking about how deep underground I was caused a ripple in my reptilian brain. I think the abyss stared back at me[/SIZE]

If you think the concession area is gross now, when I was a kid they prepared and served fried chicken dinners down in the cavern and the whole place smelled like stale, musty, KFC.

One day we'll get to the Big Bend ! (Especially in winter from here in NE). Hope you keep yourself entertained out there...so much to see. How are the 2 4-paws doing? As I am completely unaware as to how to travel in desert places (woods and Mts. I do fine)... does one have to look out for rattlers or scorpion (I used to live in Paraguay and one needed to watch out pretty much all the time). The tricks of the travel are different then in the woods. Different protocols. I also know that awful feeling getting to a place to get away and find it a sea of 'humanity' ... makes one want to run. Like my dad said "I like people...it's humanity i can't stand" ... What's good desert reading especially if you are a geek? Sci-fi?

Back
Top Bottom