October Black Rock?

Silvertip,

Black Rock is in the middle of nowhere. It has a large playa, hot springs, and is a good representative of the hidden desert charms of Nevada. You can read a trip report DD did from a trip a couple of years ago here. just ignore the parts about me. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the links, guys!!! Sounds good to me. The only thing that might mess me up is I am waiting for a friend in Phoenix to try to get time off in Oct so we can attempt Poison Spider Trail in Moab. Truck campers on top of Poison Spider Mesa would be quite an accomplishment!!!

Hey Silvertip,

There are lots of things to do on the Black Rock. Besides driving on the Black Rock Playa at very high speeds with your eyes closed
gallery_172_15_30965.jpg

you can also camp there in great solitude.
gallery_172_15_159669.jpg

Or you can camp above the flats up in High Rock Canyon
gallery_172_15_8268.jpg

along the creek and the old wagon road near pioneer petroglyphs.
gallery_172_15_50551.jpg

Wish I could meet you guys!

Brings up a question I've been meaning to ask. I know that Cal4wheel does a trip along the lassen emigrant trail, but they have a special use permit for that. Is it open for solo travel? Is it suitable for a full size rig?

Brings up a question I've been meaning to ask. I know that Cal4wheel does a trip along the lassen emigrant trail, but they have a special use permit for that. Is it open for solo travel? Is it suitable for a full size rig?

I have driven it, walked it, ridden parts of it on horseback, taken school kids on field trips up it. You can get a full size pickup or Suburban up it. There is nothing technical about it, as long as you are late enough in the season that the creek in the road is dry. If it isn't, you are in a world of hurt.

There is also one spot, a steep up hill of about 20 feet and a sharp turn to the right and a down drop. If you cannot see where your left front wheel is, and you won't in a full size truck, get out, spot your route, use a spotter, if you just blindly drive you will drop that left front wheel off a rock and be sitting on your frame, which sucks. I can give you more info if you wish, on what to see there.

You might enjoy reading this.Applegate trail trip.

Sorry been a bit limited with Internet. It's going to be that weekend of the 15-17 with a likely rally point on Friday. Blackrock is a very remote locale with no cell service so making the rally point will be important. More info to come.

Hmmm....might be into that.

My wife and I are doing our one year vows ceremony ( we eloped ) on the 22nd in Tahoe, pretty much on the way there. I'll keep watching this thread...

I do miss that country up there. I did a week long llama pack trip, down little high rock, up high rock, then a loop through the steppe country. Did that with Chris when he was 13, and a couple of clients.

I am leaving the 3rd of Oct for about 10 days of play and will not have internet before the 14th. Is there a meeting time/spot for the 14th? Looks like a huge place!!!

How do people feel about meeting at the Soldier Meadows Campground on the evening of Friday the 14th?

Whats a good map I should get for that area? I better see if the boss approved my vacation, unfortunately work isn't slowing down yet.

Pretty much any area thats easily found for the first night is good.

How do people feel about meeting at the Soldier Meadows Campground on the evening of Friday the 14th?

Works for me.

Soldier Meadows is a great spot but its pretty limited in space. So people that show up early will need to grab the largest spots and plan to share them with another truck.

My Eastern Sierra trip has been canceled so I can be to Black Rock early and secure the largest site available. Anyone have GPS coordinates for Soldiers Meadow?

We have other plans that weekend and won't be able to make it. Too bad, I would have liked the chance to redeem myself on the road that earned me the moniker Magellan. Oh well.

The campground proper is at 41° 21’ 36” N 119° 13’ 21” W. If you look at this on Google Earth, you can see another sight almost due south 1/2 mile. I recall a fairly large group being in that spot, so it may be an option. However, to get to that site you have to go east to the main road and then west again on the road that goes a little south. Also, the roads are hard to see because they are hidden in the sage so it can be difficult to find them.

Be sure to check out the free cabin (which has a decent vault toilet next to it btw) due east of the campground about 1 1/3 miles, too. Most guests leave a message on the walls which can lead to some interesting reading.

Have fun.

Wish we were coming for this one, but have our Fall Colors trip right after and I can't swing two trips back to back. I'm looking forward to photos and TR's from this group.

Back
Top Bottom