Off The Grid In Baja

SunMan

King Taco
Since my September trip to Baja got squelched due to a hurricane and turned into a Utah trip, I had some unfinished business south of the border. The following are pics from an 8 day solo mission...

FIRST THINGS FIRST:

gallery_311_156_67388.jpg

FINALLY, THE DIRT AND THE SMELL OF THE DESERT:

gallery_311_156_45995.jpg

gallery_311_156_17856.jpg

THE PAYOFF AFTER A LONG DAY BEHIND THE WHEEL:

gallery_311_156_59169.jpg

I LOGGED 242 MILES OFF PAVEMENT, 300+ MILES BETWEEN GAS OPPORTUNITIES...A COUPLE PICS OF THE LANDSCAPE:

gallery_311_156_196013.jpg

gallery_311_156_121555.jpg

DINNER AFTER ANOTHER LONG DAY AND A SURF (OR TWO):

gallery_311_156_237217.jpg

WHAT UP, YO?

gallery_311_156_153325.jpg

AFTER A WEEK OF SURF AND SOLITUDE, IT WAS FINALLY TIME TO HEAD HOME...ONE LAST STOP, JUST IN CASE:

gallery_311_156_109796.jpg

GAS ISN'T ALWAYS WHERE YOU NEED IT IN BAJA...SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO FIND IT:

gallery_311_156_13678.jpg

AND THAT'S A WRAP.

WOW!

I am in need of the Baja dust. Your photos have helped to inspire me to get ready for our trip in Jan.

A good trip report should inspire, create some envy and stir the 'wander gene' in the reader... This is a good trip report.

I hope it's my turn to see the peninsula soon.....

Thanks. PM sent to Deltarat!!
smile.gif

You're a day late and a dollar short Silvertip...it's been sold already.
smile.gif

Right on! Excellent trip report. How far down Baja did you go? Can't wait to go back myself. Got to love the lobster..

Hey Suman,

I am a Baja explorer, mainly for the surf. I've been to Scorpion about 15 times since '99, done the whales in San Ignacio six times (always staying with Gary and Terry at Ignacio Springs), and fished in Bahia de Los Angeles, Loreto and Asuncion (usually with Gary). I'm in the process of buying an Eagle for my 2000 4wd Tacoma, and I'm especially interested in how the camper does on the washboard as going to Scorpion on my normal route of the North Road there's miles and miles of it. Can you give me any info?

Thanks, tksurf

Hey Suman, I am a Baja explorer, mainly for the surf. I've been to Scorpion about 15 times since '99, done the whales in San Ignacio six times (always staying with Gary and Terry at Ignacio Springs), and fished in Bahia de Los Angeles, Loreto and Asuncion (usually with Gary). I'm in the process of buying an Eagle for my 2000 4wd Tacoma, and I'm especially interested in how the camper does on the washboard as going to Scorpion on my normal route of the North Road there's miles and miles of it. Can you give me any info? Thanks, tksurf
Tk, Welcome, i think you will be happy with your purchase. Although I've never done the full North Road (I take the salt flats through la laguna and Datil), the wash boards are not an issue. Just make sure you either check your turnbuckles regularly or place a locknut on each of them to avoid them coming loose and you'll be fine. The only issue i've had was breaking an elevator bolt (which the turnbuckles connect to), which led to me ripping out the other elevator bolt from the camper as noted in this thread. edit: sorry, this thread is where the problems were noted: http://www.wanderthe...56/page__st__20 If you buy an older camper you may want to put in some reinforcement plates as cheap insurance. Good luck with the Eagle and please post some pics when you get it.

Since my September trip to Baja got squelched due to a hurricane and turned into a Utah trip, I had some unfinished business south of the border. The following are pics from an 8 day solo mission...

FIRST THINGS FIRST:

gallery_311_156_67388.jpg

FINALLY, THE DIRT AND THE SMELL OF THE DESERT:

gallery_311_156_45995.jpg

gallery_311_156_17856.jpg

THE PAYOFF AFTER A LONG DAY BEHIND THE WHEEL:

gallery_311_156_59169.jpg

Back
Top Bottom