options I would like to see

billharr said:
I would add the Engel is chest style fridge and many want a fridge with a door. Unless you are buying just shell putting a chest style fridge would be a fairly major modification to use in a FWC or ATC. See Ski's build.

gallery_1902_710_87794.jpg
In my Hawk order, they agreed to, instead of installing the "ice box" to install a cabinet without installing a door, but to include a door and no screw holes. By leaving a open space I will be able to slide my Engel in and out of that space. Above it will be the folding countertop with a storage space below and above the Engel. The fridge will stick out a little, but oh well, I'm happy. I may install, if there is room a TemboTusk fridge slide. Matt at mainline overland hooked me up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 159
Ramblinman said:
LMFAO ... I just read post # 70 .... Tears in my eyes laughing so hard - thank you Chnlisle that made my day
x2, Although with options like that it might make it hard for some men to convince their wives that a FWC is the right choice. This type of option might be best served as an after market choice. But as always Chnlisle, I like your humor.

100acrehuphalump said:
One thing they're doing for me that's not even on the options list is raising the flexible vinyl material and hinged panels to an inside height of 6'9" as well as extending the length of the thermal pack. For this I am extremely grateful. I am 6'9" tall and by not having to duck every time I'm in there will be a momentous joyful experience. I have a smile wrapped around my head just thinking about it.

Interesting - my email to FWC on this same topic about extending the vinyl:

Hi xxx,

Is it possible to custom order a Fleet with a 6'6" interior? If so, is there an additional charge for this?

Reply from FWC:

Hello xxx,

[SIZE=11pt]That one is as tall as it will get in the Fleet at 6’4”. It is not possible.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Regards,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666669845581px]xxx[/SIZE]

Redserge said:
Interesting - my email to FWC on this same topic about extending the vinyl:

Hi xxx,

Is it possible to custom order a Fleet with a 6'6" interior? If so, is there an additional charge for this?

Reply from FWC:[/size]

Hello xxx,[/size]

That one is as tall as it will get in the Fleet at 6’4”. It is not possible.

Regards,

xxx
Yeah, I dunno. Maybe they were just tired of me pestering them? I didn't realize I may have set a boulder in motion with that post. I hope no one gets hurt. Seriously, I am very pleased with them helping me in my particular needs. I would think they'd do it for you, but I understand the need to keep the custom jobs down to a minimum so as not to interfere with production. They didn't ask me not to say anything about it, and I was so excited. So.....yeah, I dunno.
I did have a few more requests myself, and some things they did for me, some not, and so I'm content. If I need to change something later, then I'll just modify. I hope it works out for you.
-Dan

100acrehuphalump said:
Yeah, I dunno. Maybe they were just tired of me pestering them? I didn't realize I may have set a boulder in motion with that post. I hope no one gets hurt. Seriously, I am very pleased with them helping me in my particular needs. I would think they'd do it for you, but I understand the need to keep the custom jobs down to a minimum so as not to interfere with production. They didn't ask me not to say anything about it, and I was so excited. So.....yeah, I dunno.
I did have a few more requests myself, and some things they did for me, some not, and so I'm content. If I need to change something later, then I'll just modify. I hope it works out for you.
-Dan
FWC told me it was a one time deal and they will not do it again.

super doody said:
FWC told me it was a one time deal and they will not do it again.
Dan (100acrehuphalump) is 6'9". FWC made an exception for a client that could not have otherwise enjoyed their product. I'm sure the production line is cursing his name :p

Kudos FWC. Dan will be a happy camper.

ntsqd said:
As I've said, our Phoenix has the under-bed storage. It is only accessible with the top up. We don't usually pop the top when loading for or unloading from a trip. Makes that storage near useless. We keep the broom there and I have an "oh crud, it wasn't supposed to get this cold" spare jacket in there as well.

The plan I had/have for the under bed storage on my build (aka albatross :p) was similarly going to have the 4 bay storage (to support the bed board). The one bay was going to be a dead zone you had to get via the top. The two middle ones I was going to have draws that were something like 24" deep or so that pulled out, the purpose was mainly so each of use would have a clothes drawer we could get to still if someone was in bed. But with the top down I'd have about 8" between the roof and drawer in my design to stuff clothes into if needed too. The area behind the drawers would need to be accessed from the top. The 4th bay I planned to have a flip down drawer face so long items could be stuffed into/pulled out of it from the front.

I suspect the main issue in why they don't want to do a cabover longer than 47" is because the vinyl coated plywood they use for the bed comes in a standard 48" width, thus you also see the flatbed model "stepping up" the cabover vs being the same thickness all the way to the front. It may not be available wider and certainly would cost a bunch more. You can scarf joint plywood wider but for a manufacturer that would be a PITA and also now you don't have the seemless vinyl surface sheet there. If one as super interested in a longer cabover getting the wider material in the manufacturer's hands may reduce the resistance to the idea.

Another option I would have been willing to pay for is a camper cover sized to fit ones particular model. I found a company that will make one to order, but for the price they charge I could practically build a garage.

pods8 said:
I suspect the main issue in why they don't want to do a cabover longer than 47" is because the vinyl coated plywood they use for the bed comes in a standard 48" width, thus you also see the flatbed model "stepping up" the cabover vs being the same thickness all the way to the front. It may not be available wider and certainly would cost a bunch more. You can scarf joint plywood wider but for a manufacturer that would be a PITA and also now you don't have the seemless vinyl surface sheet there. If one as super interested in a longer cabover getting the wider material in the manufacturer's hands may reduce the resistance to the idea.
This is exactly the reason. I asked Tom about it when he gave me a tour of the factory and this was his answer. That's the size of sheet goods.

The under-bed storage would add depth to the cab-over section. Most pop-tops are remarkably thin there. Our Phoenix isn't. I see both sides of this; thin = less frontal area which is good, but thin = short extension length due to strength issues which forces a pull-out for full width of upper bed. I'll gladly trade off some frontal area increase for a north-south upper bed w/o a pull-out.

Making use of that space under such a bed makes sense. We have discussed doors and drawers for ours. Drawers would need to be clever so as to not consume too much of the minimal height available. I have a design for SUV "Expi" bed drawers that is easily adaptable and does not use expensive drawer slides, but does allow for full length drawers to extend out roughly 90% of their length. It does this at the expense of some of the available width.

One thought that occurs to be is to add some cargo nets to the sides of the front dinette. If you had bedding or bags stowed on the seat area of the dinette a cargo net could help keep them in place. I like to keep the front camper window area free so I can see out the back. I will probably retrofit something at some point.

cdbrow1 said:
One thought that occurs to be is to add some cargo nets to the sides of the front dinette. If you had bedding or bags stowed on the seat area of the dinette a cargo net could help keep them in place. I like to keep the front camper window area free so I can see out the back. I will probably retrofit something at some point.
I've thought the same thing nets like you see in the truck of a car. I use a shower rod on one side and the hand crank on the other to keep things in place.

Show

JHa6av8r said:
I've thought the same thing nets like you see in the truck of a car. I use a shower rod on one side and the hand crank on the other to keep things in place.
Shower rod is not a bad idea. I might try that.

Back
Top Bottom