Other types of campers?

Those were some different types...

I like seeing and hearing about different types of campers. I started reading this forum because I wanted to learn more about the mods that the people did to their ATC and FWCs.

My dad had 6 or 7 different types of campers... and that one in the Costco parking lot... my uncle had one like it... big back window and everything. He fished anywhere and he brought that truck to cook them in.:cool:

I don't care to hear about satellite reception or microwave dinners though...:eek: I get away to get away. But that's just me...

I Want One

Eat your heart out SportsMobile!!

Attachments

• mercedes-benz-sprinter-4x4.jpg
    mercedes-benz-sprinter-4x4.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 329
I can't help myself.

probably a ford, that's why he wants one so bad.

It's hard to see the emblem behind the driving light, but that looks like a Mercedes emblem. I'm guessing it's a Mercedes Sprinter and was probably designed by Daimler/Chrysler. :cool:

Some internet research

It's hard to see the emblem behind the driving light, but that looks like a Mercedes emblem. I'm guessing it's a Mercedes Sprinter and was probably designed by Daimler/Chrysler. :cool:

That seems to be a one off vehicle as seen here: http://www.4x4offroads.com/mercedes-benz-sprinter-44-inch.html

From what I have read, the sprinter was an entirely Mercedes design, and was only sold in the US under the Dodge name after Daimler purchased Chrysler.

Hmm, that crow tastes good.

I was in Iceland during winter in the early 1990s on a military asignment and saw these specialized high floatation rigs. Iceland had a nice little industry modifying and building vehicles, even back then. I remind the readers that Iceland has a population of only about 300,000 with a high percentage of gear heads. I am very pleased to see them receive recognition down here in the States with this thread. They diserve it. John D

MAN camper @ Albertsons in San Diego

Check this bad boy out. I've only seen them on TV running Dakar and such... Man I wish we could buy these here. :thumb:

SSPX0022.jpg

SSPX0023.jpg

SSPX0024.jpg

check this bad boy out. I've only seen them on tv running dakar and such... Man i wish we could buy these here. :thumb:

sspx0022.jpg

sspx0023.jpg

sspx0024.jpg

all you had to do was wait for the guy to do his shopping, and make him an offer.

Here is a pop up that I camped near @ Joshua Tree this past March. They were on the 3rd year of a 4 year tour of North America. Their origin is Switzerland and had the rig shipped from there. They had just traveled from the Gulf of Mexico near Brownsville, Texas. Pretty impressive.

Attachments

• Big Popup_1.jpg
    Big Popup_1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 502
  • Big Popup_2.jpg
    Big Popup_2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 507
  • Big Popup_3.jpg
    Big Popup_3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 506
  • Big Popup_4.jpg
    Big Popup_4.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 499
Good find!

I pasted their URL address into Google's web page translator from German to English. Very nice website with tons of photos.

:cool:

Good find!

I pasted their URL address into Google's web page translator from German to English. Very nice website with tons of photos.

:cool:

I forgot about that. Here is a link to the translated page for those who don't feel like doing it themselves: linky

After the pigfest I spent a day in the redwoods on the highway of giants. This camper was in the visitors center. It's mounted on a Nash Quad chassis and carved out of a single redwood tree. It was built by a man named Charles Kellogg who toured the country hyping the majestry of the redwoods. Not a popup and not light but the heater probably worked.

Dick

Attachments

• 100_2172.jpg
    100_2172.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 100_2166.jpg
    100_2166.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 100_2173.jpg
    100_2173.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 342
Henry Ford's Camper

Ford built one of the first outdoor campers. He has one located at his mansion in Detroit in the garage with some other interesting vehicles. His workshop and power plant are also located in the garage building, the power plant was designed and built by Thomas Edison. Ford and Edison would go out on camping trips together. Go online and check out the mansion, equipped with a bomb proof tunnel that leads to the garage. The mansion even has a log cabin room in the basement, that's where Ford would hang out with his buddies and smoke cigars. I was part of a private tour some years ago at the mansion, what a place !! The man was a thinker, had alot of cool stuff in his home.

2001 Phoenix Little Chief

I just bought this used camper on monday. It is on my 94 nissan hardbody 4cyl 4wd. I am posting here because in my research, I was not able to find much information about the phoenix camper. As I learn more about it I will be able to share more info.

I have been interested in a camper on a small 4wd truck for a few years. I am coming into this from a few years in a vw vanagon popup. I was hoping to get a four wheel drive brand camper, but this came along so I jumped on it.

My planned usage is for regular campsite camping, forest service road/trailhead dry camping, and ski area parking lot winter camping.

From what I understand, my Phoenix shares some lineage with four wheel drive campers. However, I can see that it is a little more plush. It has a 10 gal water tank, propane water heater/outside showerhead, furnace that is auto lighting, dometic fridge, sink with water pump. I still need to get it hooked up to my alternator so that the battery will charge when on the go.

At first, I wasn't sure of the hangover tailgate look, but once I got in there and started moving gear over from my vanagon popup, I realized I was happy for the extra space.

First Thoughts:
-I like the underbed storage, It swallows stuff up.
-I like that I can leave the bed made and it still pops down
-the water heater unit takes up a ton of space, but maybe I will be happy with it someday in the cold
-wondering how well the battery will last with the heater fan going on a cold night in the Mtns
-Helpful access panels to the front of the wheel well bed cavity
-the plastic connectors on the pop top mechanism seem destined to break
-it's heavy for my truck at 1200 pounds dry (ordered some airbags)
-I was really surprised that it had a standard propane tank. i had assumed it would be a tiny proprietary unit.

Here are some introductory photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soreyes/sets/72157620258506825/

3654607402_d46140780a.jpg

3653810049_2af096b8cb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom