REI Deal of the day June 22, 2015

billharr

GCI Outdoor Xpress Lounger Chair - 2014 Closeout

At this price and with the REI guarantee I have ordered 2 and will give them a try. I like my Costco chairs but they are big. Price good today only. Free shipping to REI store or add to order to get $50.00 free shipping.

Nice find Bill. Where do you plan on storing these in the camper while en route? With the generic folding chairs, I put them on the ledge between the window and dinette. These chairs do look more comforty but don't where I would put them in the camper. I try to keep the aisle open as possible.

Just got 2 of these a couple weeks ago, closeout price then was $35 ;(

These are director-style chairs, I got them because my old frail back doesn't like the typical "Spider-Leg" fold up chairs. They fold nice & small, a bit of a puzzle to do so, and they are pretty heavy. A storage bag is also included. I store them in my passenger side cabinet, which is large and non-standard (No RO couch)

Sorry, I'm away from home without my camper so can't give any more description. But, free shipping to store and easy return policy works for me.

super doody said:
Nice find Bill. Where do you plan on storing these in the camper while en route? With the generic folding chairs, I put them on the ledge between the window and dinette. These chairs do look more comforty but don't where I would put them in the camper. I try to keep the aisle open as possible.
I have the back seat out of my TundraAC so that is were my chairs store. I have two Costco director style chairs and they are comfortable but take a lot of space. Both Costco and REI have great return policies so it I am not happy I can take them back.

We have the same GSI chairs, originally bought to fit a shallow Yakima basket on the cab of our truck. They were the only chairs that folded small enough to fit!

We've now moved onto the much larger and bulkier Strongback chairs, which we feel are more comfortable. The GSI mini-chairs are still used. We keep one in the back of our Subaru, to sit down and swap out boots for sandals, etc.

Perfect timing!!! We have two we got a couple of years ago and the wife and I were just talking the other day about getting a pair for our son's B-day. Thanks for the heads up.

I took the advice of a lot of WTW'ers and bought a Strongback chair. I don't think I could ever go back to a regular camp chair again.

SL...Did you check with the BLM Ranger for that area? Ranger's will often time pick up what they believe to be left behind gear on their second drive by. A friend had a chair removed by a Ranger once. The Ranger advised them to leave a note attached to the chair with the date and time and when they expected to return.

Plus, some NP, NF and BLM land camp grounds have a rule that the site can not be left unoccupied (human(s) must be on site) the first 24 hours (or night) of occupancy before striking out on an adventure and leaving gear.

I did report it, in fact I was told when I checked in to leave a chair at my site. (One disadvantage of my FWC over my old AT Chaser is that I take 'camp' with me when I'm not at the site.) This was a county run site (Sand Flats) near Moab, they said that's the first time it had happened there. Nice place to camp, though, and convenient to town. And actually, I didn't much like the chair. ;)

The 24 hour rule in places that have it is to keep locals from claiming a site during the week so they will have it on the weekend. There are places around here where I've been the only live camper in a campground full of travel trailers.

I know I'm on a roll... but chairs are important. I have been a motorcycle nut since youth. I like to go to vintage rallies and 20 years ago I met a man from Tennessee who made chairs along with his wife and son... over the years at other rallies there were lines forming at his tent... sold out fast. My wife and I have a set and they have lasted MANY years... made of oak and aircraft grade aluminum, stainless and canvas. I love these chairs. In the camper easily stored in the bench box. There are now leg extensions that can be used to raise the height when needed. Here's the site http://www.kermitchair.com
oh and they are light...slip into canvas bags 4" wide by 24" long

If anyone is still looking for the GCI Pico chair, B&H Photo recently had the best deal I could find. About $40 less than most other retailers. When space is an issue, like in a popup camper, they are pretty hard to beat. Good back support for me.

Back
Top Bottom