Revisiting heavy duty trucks

Ct does, state is definitely broke :)
If I recall 10001# is a magic number I'm sure that ford and possibly others play games with this. Before I got my Ram I drove tons of trucks and I remember 350s with 99xx# gvrws , just a few pounds under.

Ripperj said:
Ct does, state is definitely broke :)
If I recall 10001# is a magic number I'm sure that ford and possibly others play games with this. Before I got my Ram I drove tons of trucks and I remember 350s with 99xx# gvrws , just a few pounds under.
And thanks to states like that, I'm stuck with a 9900# payload on my Ram so they can sneak it in as a 3/4 Ton. The math doesn't add up, axle weight ratings put it at 12,500 lbs, tires have plenty of load capacity, brakes are the same as the one ton.

Happyjax, The additional fees are something to check into. Md would tax the air we breath if it could figure out a way. My 10,000 car hauler trailer costs a fortune to keep registered. More than double the price of a 7,000 lb'er.

Yea Squatch I was worried about that. The last 250 I test drove had a payload around 3400 which should be more than sufficient. I can always get an extra leaf added if I could find someone who knew how to do that.....lol

it's all about GVWR for taxes.

The problem is not finding someone who can do it.

The problem is finding someone with big enough tools. When I put 1 ton axles under my Old Power Wagon I had to buy a lot of new tools from heavier jacks to bigger sockets!

slus said:
And thanks to states like that, I'm stuck with a 9900# payload on my Ram so they can sneak it in as a 3/4 Ton. The math doesn't add up, axle weight ratings put it at 12,500 lbs, tires have plenty of load capacity, brakes are the same as the one ton.
Not sure I understand why you are stuck, I found lots of higher gvrws over 10k, but the 99xx ones are available for those that don't want the higher fees. I think you have to register commercial here over 10k which probably increases insurance rates

Ripperj said:
Not sure I understand why you are stuck, I found lots of higher gvrws over 10k, but the 99xx ones are available for those that don't want the higher fees. I think you have to register commercial here over 10k which probably increases insurance rates
I spent some time in the charts before I purchased the 2500 over the 3500.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2017_ram_2500_towing_charts.pdf

Every 2500 Ram listed was rated below the magic 10,001# GVWR regardless of the GAWRs. Maybe you could special order one with a higher rating, I'm not sure. We already have a pretty massive thread about weight ratings going here so I won't delve in too deep, plus I haven't weighed my setup fully loaded yet, but in the end I decided if the truck handles the weight fine I wasn't going to worry if I was over the GVWR but under the GAWR and tire rating.

Also, the "magic" 10,001# rating is pretty meaningless to me in California. They don't just tax the air here, they want to tax cow farts for ruining the air. Anything with a bed has to be registered as commercial, doesn't matter if it is a old El Camino or a new F350 with a 4000lb payload, they both get commercial plates. Weight classes and fees are obviously different, but 3/4 tons and 1 ton versions of the same truck usually fall in the same weight class anyway.

Edit: I was jumping on the 3/4 ton part of that since that's what my truck is and my comment was about. If you are talking about 1 Ton pickups, you are totally right. I've ran across LOTS of 1 Tons seemingly de-rated down under 10,000 lbs for no apparent reason. Many were fleet Fords. I'm sure big companies order 9900 lb rated F350s by the hundreds and save bundles of $$$ on fees.

Weighed our truck and camper at the dump a while back. '96 CTD ClubCab long bed 4X4 with a short bed Phoenix in the bed. 9100 lbs. 1/2 wet & mostly loaded.

The reason fleet trucks are down rated is drivers licensing. Commercial drivers over 10,000 need a CDL.

We went through this at the phone company many years ago when they changed the laws. They had to burn the trailer hitches off of things like my cube van and re-register them under 10k. Or they would have had to make us all get CDL's.

Get a 3500 of your favorite flavor and if it's a newer one get the DEF equipped ones. Better mileage,way fewer regenerations and minus the irritating TPMS.

Squatch said:
The reason fleet trucks are down rated is drivers licensing. Commercial drivers over 10,000 need a CDL.

We went through this at the phone company many years ago when they changed the laws. They had to burn the trailer hitches off of things like my cube van and re-register them under 10k. Or they would have had to make us all get CDL's.
Interesting!

Had my Grandby on a 1/2 ton until it died and needed some extra rear leafs for load support, engine had plenty of power but it fell short with regards to braking power when loaded down. Now on a 3/4 ton and seems more than adequate, but will probably go to a 1 ton next truck since they really aren't much more in price.

Gas vs diesel??? For me gas is the only way to go, I spend a lot of time down in Baja, and ultra-low sulphur diesel is not readily available, especially in Baja Sur. I recently saw some poor guy have to get his new Sprinter towed back 700 miles because he didn't run ULS diesel and the German engineered vehicle just shut down.

I am transitioning from a Tacoma with a FWC to a Ram 3500 with a flatbed and Bundutec camper. So far, I just have the truck.

I truck shopped for months and saw some interesting trends:

1.There are far more diesels than gassers, especially in the 1 ton category.
2. Basic trucks are hard to find. Dealers told me that trucks have become fashion statements and people want moon roofs, leather etc, etc. One suggested that I would need to order a basic truck to get what I wanted.
3. Used truck prices are ridiculous and not all that common in the 1 ton category.

I ended up with a 2015 Ram 3500 gasser in Laramie trim with 18000 miles on it. It was a very, very good deal. It comes with every bell and whistle except, thankfully a moonroof.

I’m glad I went with a 1 ton - not having to worry much about exceeding a vehicles load capacity is a good thing.

kmacafee said:
I am transitioning from a Tacoma with a FWC to a Ram 3500 with a flatbed and Bundutec camper. So far, I just have the truck.

I truck shopped for months and saw some interesting trends:

1.There are far more diesels than gassers, especially in the 1 ton category.
2. Basic trucks are hard to find. Dealers told me that trucks have become fashion statements and people want moon roofs, leather etc, etc. One suggested that I would need to order a basic truck to get what I wanted.
3. Used truck prices are ridiculous and not all that common in the 1 ton category.

I ended up with a 2015 Ram 3500 gasser in Laramie trim with 18000 miles on it. It was a very, very good deal. It comes with every bell and whistle except, thankfully a moonroof.

I’m glad I went with a 1 ton - not having to worry much about exceeding a vehicles load capacity is a good thing.
Congrats on your new truck! :)

kmacafee said:
I live (Edmonton, Alberta).
There are 1000's available. As long as you like white.

Prices:
10 year old (gas) start at about $10,000 CAD. 5 year old trucks are usually under $30,000 CAD (~60,000 miles).

What kind of prices are you used to seeing?

Not here in Minnesota. I’ve seen 5 year old diesel 1 tons with 150,000 miles and they are asking 30k. The sales guys will say that engine is just getting broken in. To which I reply yeah and the rest of the truck is just getting broken.

Bill D said:
I live (Edmonton, Alberta).
There are 1000's available. As long as you like white.

Prices:
10 year old (gas) start at about $10,000 CAD. 5 year old trucks are usually under $30,000 CAD (~60,000 miles).

What kind of prices are you used to seeing?

kmacafee said:
Not here in Minnesota. I’ve seen 5 year old diesel 1 tons with 150,000 miles and they are asking 30k. The sales guys will say that engine is just getting broken in. To which I reply yeah and the rest of the truck is just getting broken.

Thanks for the laugh this am...

Back
Top Bottom