Roof lift gas struts

Hello again... just out of hibernation of New England and about to head to Kentucky with the 2011 Eagle on the 2001 Tacoma. I had installed the roof lifts last fall and then had to wait. A week ago I was able to load the camper and see how things held out with the winter cold...whoa a cold one here. I tried the roof lift and it was not nice. I used the factory install method ...made a 40" template arm so I positioned the arms correctly ( recall the front roof clamps had to be moved out to get the right lift position). The front worked great but the back, even though I used the FWC 40" template for the 40" required lift supports, the 'stretch was too far out . The directions received from FWC was to put the lift bracket ball up against the roof clamp.I did that and speaking from a 2011 Eagle stand point that is not right. I decided the geometry of the lift was wrong... I could feel it did not have the lift needed at the right time of the radius swing of the lifter. I decided to be yankee conservative and move both lifters in on the roof 1.5" so that I could use one of the same drill holes. Sure enough ...wow... a huge improvement. The roof lifts with only a push instead of needing the crank. And most importantly at the top of the arch... it gently allows the panels to pop into place... no hard snap. I am very happy. I did plug the extra hole with a screw and silicone. So we are off to KY and then Virginia George Washington National Forest and on up to PA and then home. I just wanted to let anyone who decides to add lift supports to their Eagle (needing the 40" 30 lb supports) if they need help just ask and I can give what info I gained in the process.

I am really looking forward to this trip. I found the George Washington Nat Forest from the "Wander the East of Mississippi" group of FWC. Being able to also do the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Trail is an added plus. Next summer it's a big trip out west to the northern States. Hope to post some trip pic's on the return. Thanks again for all the advice.

can anyone supply a manufacturer and part number for the 36" 30# struts listed in the FWC recommendation chart? thank you.

I see a lot of information on the struts, but can anyone direct me to the necessary hardware? I see the JR Products 10mm mounting brackets on Amazon, but are these even the right ones? How about screws etc etc? I have a '14 Raven.

Thanks!!

rilcombs said:
I see a lot of information on the struts, but can anyone direct me to the necessary hardware? I see the JR Products 10mm mounting brackets on Amazon, but are these even the right ones? How about screws etc etc? I have a '14 Raven.

Thanks!!
Try the maker Suspa .My 40# struts are,
C16-15952 $30 each
Frank
Brackets,P67-00203 $3 each.

Oregon_Troutbum said:
I have a 2014 Hawk. I outfitted it with 40# struts front and back. I have the full Yakima rack with basket and a 100 watt panel. The 40# struts are perfect and sometimes I need to coax them down.

The ball sockets used are 10mm and can be found at a good auto parts/hardware store (not O'Reilly's or Autozone). They can also be bought online but I felt more comfortable grabbing them at a store where I could check and make sure they fit.

If you find the Suspa model number you can put it into the eBay search engine and find an off brand for a way better deal. I got two pairs of 36" struts for $29.99 per pair with free shipping. Work great. I definitely would not buy heavier than 40# with the new threaded system. If people are having problems with the factory install then I would guess heavier ones would cause damage much sooner. I ended up having around $100 invested compared to the $300+ charged by the factory. Good luck!!

Chris
Hi Chris,

I am having a hard time finding exactly what mounting hardware to get. Can you help me out? I got the struts already, just need some direction on the hardware.

Thanks!!
Riley

rilcombs said:
Hi Chris,

I am having a hard time finding exactly what mounting hardware to get. Can you help me out? I got the struts already, just need some direction on the hardware.

Thanks!!
Riley
Riley the part # P67-00203 is an angled type 10mm,works great. Use that # to search them for other outlets or order them from Supra ,@ $3 a piece.
Frank

I have a 2015 fleet with the external shocks already installed c16-31895a. I would like to increase them from 20 to 40 pounds, can someone tell me an inexpensive replacement.

Thanks

Montreat said:
I have a 2015 fleet with the external shocks already installed c16-31895a. I would like to increase them from 20 to 40 pounds, can someone tell me an inexpensive replacement.

Thanks
I received this reply from Suspa. [SIZE=11pt]The C16-31895A is rated at 20lbs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]C16-31896A is rated at 30lbs, that is currently the highest force we have programmed for that spring.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Both springs are made for Four Wheel Campers specifically.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]4 pieces of either spring from us run $100 each[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Four Wheel is probably less expensive as they buy in larger quantity.[/SIZE]

I am still on this idea about only the more $$$ lifters won't work.
I installed the Suspa #C16-15952 ,#40 lifters on my 09 Bobcat and they work great.
Someone explain why the $30 lifter doesn't work/fit. I believe they are 36" long extended.
Just interested to know.
Frank

Are you all saying that gas struts are needed to lift the roof? I pick up my Fleet next month and did not order gas struts. I'm 61 year old woman with injury-prone shoulders and I am not mechanically minded, so the chances of my installing a fix are very slim. Nothing on the roof so far, but will the mechanical lift not do the trick?

la_morris said:
Are you all saying that gas struts are needed to lift the roof? I pick up my Fleet next month and did not order gas struts. I'm 61 year old woman with injury-prone shoulders and I am not mechanically minded, so the chances of my installing a fix are very slim. Nothing on the roof so far, but will the mechanical lift not do the trick?
Most people don't need lift-assist struts to raise an empty/bare pop-up roof. But some people with physical issues may need help.

I added lift-assist struts when I added 44 lbs of solar panels to the roof.

la_morris said:
You will need the lift assist struts. I'm 60 yr. old male with a shoulder injury also and added a 23# solar panel to my roof. Granted I could lift it without the assist but they sure do make it easier. Ron

la_morris said:
My 2014 Hawk came with factory 100 watt panel, Fantastic vent + Fantastic fan, factory aluminum roof rack. It was ordered with lift struts (20 lb) external lift struts. My 60 yr old wife without shoulder injuries was able to pop up the roof although she allows me to that task. ;)

After adding a second solar panel to roof (about 30 lbs), it became much more difficult to popup rear. We changed rear lifts from 20 to 30 lbs & while I can pop up rear readily, she had difficulty doing so.

I would recommend you add the lift struts. Ask the price difference in adding them to your order vs. having them added after delivery. An alternative that may work better for your situation may be buying the crank up speaker stand with battery power drill. There are several threads on WTW that give specifics.

Paul
Found a thread here, http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/4574-another-roof-lifting-mechanism/page-4

la_morris said:
We are in our 70s and I added them just after we got the camper in 09. I have carried a canoe and actually lift
the roof without the struts but it was hard.
Personally IMO I would have them added. The roof isn't that hard to lift empty but there isn't any reason to possibly
hurt yourself out camping. They just make it easier.
Yeh it's an added cost but I think a worthwhile one.
Frank

My back is in good condition and I plan on keeping it that way. I'm 67 and have 36 lbs of solar panels the roof of my Grandby. I added 40 lb Suspa springs inside and use a speaker lift to help with lifting the roof. The measured force to lift my roof is 100 lbs.

jim

I have a Grandby without anything on the roof, we put gas struts on. I could lift the roof without them, but I had to stand on a 3” block of wood to get enough leverage to lift the back reasonably. If my shoulders were injury prone, I would definitely want something to help with the roof. I am 5 ft 6 in.

Back
Top Bottom