Snow: how much is too much?

I have a vent cover over the vent near my bed that allows me to open the vent without snow blowing in. Less than $30 at Walmart or an RV store.

I use a snow rake and a collapsible 5 foot step ladder than folds like a regular step ladder and then folds again due to steps that are hinged in the middle.

Thanks DanoT. I found the vent covers you mentioned on Campingworld. Still working on getting a light weight ladder of some kind. I may just get the steps you can get through FWC that attach onto the side of the camper.

OK, here's a thought - maybe not a good one.

Often if I want to take quick nap in my Hawk, I'll raise only the rear half and sleep on the couch. Gives me enough room to move around and is a bit quicker. Never had a problem keeping it up (maybe a different issue?), the roof seems quite stable this way.

So, what if you're expecting heavy snowfall over night and you lower the rear half just before climbing into the bunk for the night? Snow slides off the roof during the night and you can still exit the camper if needed as long as you remember to kinda hunker down as you head for the door.

Crazy or not?

Thanks PJorgen and DanoT. I have seen the idea of having just the front raised and tried that but the wet snow we have here in the PNW still sticks at that angle-- I didn't measure it, but it seems to me that it is around 30-35 degrees. I also assume that any engineering done by FWC was for both supports in place so I would always worry in the middle of the night if I was going to wake up with a roof collapsing in my face! Maybe spraying the surface with RainX first might help? When snowfalls are limited or not predicted to be significant I just leave it up at this point.

I saw the ladder you mentioned, DanoT. I may consider that. Thanks.

Thanks TrapperMike-- I saw this ladder on my searches too. One thing I could do on mine would be to lean it against the awning so that it doesn't damage the lip of the roof. Can you also use this partially extended to climb up into the camper so that I don't have to bring more than one ladder?

Posted Today, 09:51 AM
Thanks TrapperMike-- I saw this ladder on my searches too. One thing I could do on mine would be to lean it against the awning so that it doesn't damage the lip of the roof. Can you also use this partially extended to climb up into the camper so that I don't have to bring more than one ladder?
It can be used partially extended, but I don't think it would work well for getting into the camper. I use the Rubbermaid folding step stool for that.

My two pennies,
I bring a ladder like TM with me always in the cab. In the winter, if snow is forecast I set my alarm every two hours or so. if needed, I climb up and sweep the roof off. Will be adding some blocks to reinforce the sides, my roof is a little longer than standard, but feel like this is mostly for peace of mind.
Not worried about getting up and down, because well its part of the experience or camping in a glorified tent in the winter.
BTW, I mostly camp in the rockies during the winter but do manage a few nights out in the cascades.
Worst case would be to sleep down on the floor,(no bench or dinette) and I will do that if I am just catching a few zzzz's.

Wango- thanks. I guess all said and done it is a glorified tent... had my share of that and thought I had finally upgraded. Oh well, basically the same drill then...get up every hour or so during a storm and dig to prevent the tent/camper from collapsing.

Randonneur,
Please don't take my comment as being critical. I love my camper, 260 plus nights in the last one, 126 plus in the new one so far.
Can't imagine a much better setup for us to explore the west(?).

Wango- didn't take that way in the least... every means of getting out has both advantages and limitations. Snow-load seems to be a limitation of pop-up campers.... that and trying to train my muscle memory so that I don't hit my head going in and out of the door that is! :D

Randonneur said:
Wango- didn't take that way in the least... every means of getting out has both advantages and limitations. Snow-load seems to be a limitation of pop-up campers.... that and trying to train my muscle memory so that I don't hit my head going in and out of the door that is! :D
Just an FYI, not all pop up campers have the weight limitations of an FWC.....

This is one of the reasons we bought our Hallmark..

https://youtu.be/y7VM_5UxU4I

Back
Top Bottom