So now it's the first day of Fall

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie
Site Team
Happy Fall.Maybe we can leave the wows of winter/spring/summer behind.
Looking toward maybe getting out now that it's fall.
Hopefully in a week or so there will be fewer people out there.With school opening ,
even if it's at home there might be less campers.

Enjoy the next season in this weird year.
Frank

Yep it's fall... and northwest California smoke is now blowing out to sea.

GOES18302020245yrEx2L.jpg

Wow Mark that's nasty looking.
Smoke mostly gone around here.
The fire that is still little contained is the Dolan fire past Big Sur.

The Condor sanctuary was destroyed. So far all but 9 adults and 4 chicks are accounted for.
Most of the adults went over to the Pinnacles and are safe there.

It's been too smokey for the Ventana people to get back in there and search for the missing.
They are still holding out to locate all missing.
In the last major fire there 2008 the chicks survived.There's hope.

Frank

We sat up high this morning celebrating the first day of meteorological fall and watched the wildland fire smoke move in from the east......................

Whoopee, here is our forecast for the coming Labor Day weekend. If this is Fall weather, I hope it is a short one and winter hits early.

Saturday​
Sunny and hot, with a high near 101.

Saturday Night​
Clear, with a low around 72.

Sunday​
Sunny and hot, with a high near 105.

Sunday Night​
Clear, with a low around 73.

Labor Day​
Sunny and hot, with a high near 107.

Monday Night​
Mostly clear, with a low around 71.

Tuesday​
Sunny and hot, with a high near 105.

Pretty warm here in far Western Colorado yet, but its starting to cool a little and our wildfire smoke has dissipated nicely. Snowed on the higher peaks overnight 9/1, so cooler air can be found pretty easily. Hoping the crowds have thinned a bit...

Forecast Sunday for Camarillo (near the coast) is 103*. We considered heading up to our cabin project at 7200’ but rejected that idea due to projected Labor Day crowds.

Not looking forward to the heat. I have to help my dad on friday so I may have to risk the holiday crowds. Ugh.

We are approaching the equinox. We have sure noticed the later light in the morning and the earlier darkness come nightfall. And it's not just the smoke.

ski3pin said:
We are approaching the equinox. We have sure noticed the later light in the morning and the earlier darkness come nightfall. And it's not just the smoke.
Yeah, we are feeling cooler morning temperatures and a change in light during the day. The sun is noticeably lower angle southward in the afternoons and evenings. All our garden plants are sensing the difference, particularly the giant eleven foot sunflower, which grew like crazy until a couple of days ago and now seems to be drooping and settling in to being bird food. When I get up to make coffee it is often still dark. Always loved the changing seasons. Less than 3 weeks until the days are shorter than the nights.

Great news from the condor site.
Iniko the chick from the web cam was found to survive the fire/smoke.
The mom "Redwood Queen"has been seen feeding it.
Another chick that was nesting in a cliff was found alive and transported to the LA Zoo
where the breading program takes care of them
The "mom" of that chick has been missing since May so the "dad"has been taking care of it.
Now only 9 adults and 2 chicks are still not accounted for.
Good things still happen.
Frank

It was 80° last night at nine when we went to bed. It was 75° when we woke this morning. Today could set a record for the highest temperature we've seen living here 31 years. Ah, Fall.

Here's today's satellite photo. Smoke...................

Sat-Image-06092020-copy.jpg

Just received our PG&E message. Red Flag Warning starting Monday night and our power will be turned off Monday night to Wednesday night. That does not include the possible rolling blackouts today and tomorrow because of the heat and power consumption. Ah, Fall.

.................drum roll. The past record was 95.9 degrees set couple weeks ago. It is currently 97.5 here, the hottest we've seen in 31 years..

That photo sure shows where the thick smoke we've had since yesterday is coming from.

I just found where you view those photos, the NOAA website. I learned something useful today! The photo loop is cool, you can see the recent photos kind of like a movie.

That's brutal having your power off for two days. At least it's supposed to cool off a bit by then.

ski3pin said:
Just received our PG&E message. Red Flag Warning starting Monday night and our power will be turned off Monday night to Wednesday night....
Generac must love PG&E! :rolleyes:
In the past 2 years Generac's stock price has soared -- many times the S&P 500 index.
If I lived in an area that has PG&E-designated fire danger and very-high temperatures I'd probably get a whole-house backup generator.

After the shut offs we had last season, their business skyrocketed around here.

Generac must love PG&E! :rolleyes:
In the past 2 years Generac's stock price has soared -- many times the S&P 500 index.
If I lived in an area that has PG&E-designated fire danger and very-high temperatures I'd probably get a whole-house backup generator.

Today the sun was not there... no shadows. It did lower the temperatures. So much upper level smoke it is like winter clouds.

Back
Top Bottom