Spring Sprang!

It sprang back a bit…
BEA83AC8-BD5C-4B64-BEF2-ADAAD1390C78.jpeg

Julie is anxious to scrape the overnight inch off the deck but it froze hard overnight. She has to be patient and wait for it to warm up. Yeah, sure. No worries, forecast is for a high of 80 on Sunday.

Sure changes fast. Now we might even get a thunderstorm today. Low 90s instead of near 100 by the end of the week.

The last 30 days here at our home in Portland, OR.

Attachments

• 30daysofrain_NEPDX.JPG
    30daysofrain_NEPDX.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 29
Heavy graupel coming down now with this forecast -

This Afternoon
Snow showers likely. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 39. Southwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight
Snow showers likely, mainly before 11pm. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. Southwest wind 6 to 9 mph becoming southeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

We have had to move all our veggie starts back inside the house. I've got hoops in the garden, and usually can put out our tomatoes, squash, cukes on Mother's Day, still in their pots under visqueen. The last three mornings have been 39F, 33F and today is 32 here at 3500' elevation. Fortunately, all the veggie starts seem to have perked up now that I brought them inside. Our snap peas, arugula and lettuce are doing fine, but are also covered with shade cloth to protect them from the intermittent hail we've had since Sunday afternoon.

My apples and cherries did get a full bloom but we will see what survives the last three days of low 20 degree temperatures. The garlic and onions don't care, kale is fine, the radishes are reluctant. It has been cold enough to have to put additional cover over the plants in the greenhouse and it is gonna get real crowded it there before I can plant. Potatoes will go in next week but after the past two years of second week of June snow and freeze I don't want to put anything else out until Father's Day.

As a result of this week's snow and hard freeze, all the little peaches have dropped for the four trees. No peaches this year for us.

ski3pin said:
As a result of this week's snow and hard freeze, all the little peaches have dropped for the four trees. No peaches this year for us.
Weird weather.Home grown peaches are soooo good.
You'll miss them.Any chance the trees will re flower?
Frank

Our pomegranite tree and our neighbors seems to have given up the ghost and is dying. It was assaulted by a bear last fall too.
Apples, nectarines and plums lost fruit to the hard freeze.

On a plus side there are two robin's nests in the orchard. Snap peas have been flowering and today we counted a dozen that set fruit.
Romano and Kentucky blue pole beans were planted now that temps have returned to normal.

The news from the Fort is mostly good. Our litter of foxes is back in the den under the driveway, the western king birds appeared over the weekend, and we have a Bullock’s oriole that is laying claim to one of our cottonwood trees. Our red bark dogwoods are starting to leaf out, as is the Russian sage we transplanted. Temps into the 60°s…

ski3pin said:
Outside it is white and 28 degrees and I'm thinking of putting up the awning over the deck this weekend.

ski3pin said:
And this week? This morning the overnight low was 59. We've gone from winter to summer. Goodbye Spring.

Back
Top Bottom