Suggestions on how to mount MaxTrax?

smlobx

Lost again
I have a Hallmark Everest but thought other owners might be able to help me out...

I am looking for suggestions on how to best mount a pair of Max Trax (OK there a knock off) to the exterior of our camper. Anyone have any suggestions?

Is being able to lock them worthwhile? We are eventually planning on going to Mexico etc.

Thanks.

Do you have the rear ladder?

What isn't showing is I had some 2" wide straps made that I use to hold the MaxTrax to the ladder so I'm not relying on the Trasharoo to hold them. I had the straps made with these side release buckles http://www.strapworks.com/Side_Release_Buckle_p/msrb-a.htm
. I'm thinking about seeing if I can drill through the center of them when latched and put a padlock through. Wouldn't completely stop a committed attempt, but may be enough of a hindrance to prevent most casual scumbag attempts.

I use a cable lock to secure my MaxTrax. It's amazing how much inconsequential stuff has 'disappeared' over the years and I tend to lock pretty much everything mounted on the outside of my truck these days, especially if it is pricey to replace.

Two bolts through my home made roof rack. Drilled a hole through the MaxTrax. Two wing nuts hold them down. 0 dollars invested. You need a ladder to get them down and thats my security system. I could drill the bolt(s) and put a lock on but so far I haven't seen the need.

Bad Habit and Craig I don't have a ladder or a roof rack (wanted to keep my roof as "clean as possible" and now that decision looks like it's going to bite me in the butt...

Is there a way to drill through the side/back ??

I don't see why not, would rather drill the side than the roof myself. If you look through Hallmarks' website, they do offer traction devices and they show them mounted on the side. Not sure what attachment they use, but I'm sure it's just bolted through. I have the shovel/axe on the back of mine and it's just bolted through.

Mounting on the side was my plan originally but haven't gotten comfortable with drilling through mine yet.

longhorn1 said:
smlobx,
Have you contacted Hallmark? They should tell you how to mount them
I just sent an email to Matt on Saturday. Hopefully he'll have some options..
If he responds (they are hard to contact via email) I will post for future reference.

This how the shovel/axe holder is mounted on mine, just bolted through. I'm sure after the first hole you drill, they become easier :). Shouldn't have to worry about framing members, just make sure you know whats on the other side.

on the inside

I bought an extra yakima bar and have them on my tracks.
They are on the posterior part and can be taken off when the camper is down.

I guess someone could take them but it would require a little bit of effort to climb up there and get them.

Never really thought about locking them before.

Back
Top Bottom