Sure Power 1314 Recall - FYI

Thanks for the update/recommendations, Tom.
Does FWC know the specific serial number they installed for each camper unit? Should we at least go in and get the serial number to compare with the Surepower recall list?
Will await your suggestion.
BTW, Hi, hope all is well, and look forward to seeing the new shop.
Michael

Edit: Very easy to pull the panel which the 1314 is behind (2010 Hawk), and ours is one of the recall units. Taking a trip from AZ 8/15 - 9/20 (NV, ID, WY & NM), so other than watching this thing closely there is not much else I can do. Keep in mind that this unit has been in my daily driver for over a year.

We are considering all campers produced from 2009 until present as possibly affected by the recall, so please do not remove panels or make any modifications. We are working directly with Sure Power and Cooper Bussman senior management to address this situation with the greatest urgency. As soon as I can provide direction, it will be posted here. Please be patient; we should have a solution very, very soon.
Thanks,
Tom

Interesting. My 2007 ATC has a "Coast Power" unit from "Coast Distributors" and "CP No: 11527". I can't even find it with Google.

Just looking out for you:

http://www.coastdistribution.com/Products.aspx

Roger

Interesting. My 2007 ATC has a "Coast Power" unit from "Coast Distributors" and "CP No: 11527". I can't even find it with Google.

Thanks, Roger. I didn't find anything on their site indicating a recall, so I think I'm good to go...

That's an old stock number which has been updated. It is for the Sure Power 1314 separator that is involved in the recall.

Four Wheel is finalizing plans with Sure Power for a recall, and an announcement will be made as early as tomorrow, Aug. 2. Thanks you for your patience. Tom Hanagan, President.

I happen to have a new in box "Blue Lightning" battery isolator marked "made in USA for Coast Distribution", it is made by Sure Power.
CP No: 11527, Model: 1314CP, serial number 07000028.
Looking at the recall serial numbers and model numbers it does not appear to be part of the recall. If any WTW member needs a separator and can't wait for the new Sure Power models in September, I would be happy to sell it for a fair price. I paid $110.99CDN + tax about 2 years ago. I will sell it for $80 + shipping or best offer. Please pm me if you are interested, first come first served.
Cheers
Mark

Four Wheel is finalizing plans with Sure Power for a recall, and an announcement will be made as early as tomorrow, Aug. 2. Thanks you for your patience. Tom Hanagan, President.

Bumping this to the top to see if there's been any progress, it's been almost a week without any updates. Thanks and anxiously waiting to hear what Sure Power has/is coming up with for all of us.

Thanks again.

Bumping this to the top to see if there's been any progress, it's been almost a week without any updates. Thanks and anxiously waiting to hear what Sure Power has/is coming up with for all of us.

Thanks again.

LT,Marty from ATC has contacted all owners with recalled units.They have a replacement.You or others might e-mail him about a replacement.
This issue for me has been a strange one.I had the 1314 unit ,dealt with Sure Power and will receive a refund.Now the new unit I purchased is the 1314-200 which is NOT on the recall list,but after installing it I find that it runs very hot to the touch and am returning it. After talking with Marty he is sending me the replacement they are using on new campers.
I understand the frustration with this issue.We are about to head north and don't want problems with a over heating unit,but it seems that the people at FWC should get back to owners with a solution and replacement.Not just hold tight and we'll get to you weeks from now.Just my opinion.
Frank

LT,Marty from ATC has contacted all owners with recalled units.They have a replacement.You or others might e-mail him about a replacement.
This issue for me has been a strange one.I had the 1314 unit ,dealt with Sure Power and will receive a refund.Now the new unit I purchased is the 1314-200 which is NOT on the recall list,but after installing it I find that it runs very hot to the touch and am returning it. After talking with Marty he is sending me the replacement they are using on new campers.
I understand the frustration with this issue.We are about to head north and don't want problems with a over heating unit,but it seems that the people at FWC should get back to owners with a solution and replacement.Not just hold tight and we'll get to you weeks from now.Just my opinion.
Frank

What is the "replacement"?

What is the "replacement"?

He has researched 2 replacements.A Sun-force the other not sure about the exact name, but will post when I receive it.You might contact them directly for info.

Frank

Frank

Thanks Casa,

Yeah was certainly hoping for an update from Tom or someone at FWC as the expectation was set on 8/1 that we should have something by 8/2....now it's been a week. Little frustrating for sure.

I had hoped for some resolution to this 1314 issue by now as my unit is one of the recall serial numbers. Leaving next week from AZ for 5-6 week loop trip through NV, ID, WY, CO and NM. Have some concern now about safety issue with the 1314. Since it has functioned OK for more than 18 months (purchased) now, I will just have to assume it will continue that way. Will be keeping an eye out for any problems with it for sure. I know that I can pull the fuse under the hood so there is no power being sent to the unit, but I don't know if there would be any concern from the other direction, the camper battery. I'm assuming that would not be the case.

I had hoped for some resolution to this 1314 issue by now as my unit is one of the recall serial numbers. Leaving next week from AZ for 5-6 week loop trip through NV, ID, WY, CO and NM. Have some concern now about safety issue with the 1314. Since it has functioned OK for more than 18 months (purchased) now, I will just have to assume it will continue that way. Will be keeping an eye out for any problems with it for sure. I know that I can pull the fuse under the hood so there is no power being sent to the unit, but I don't know if there would be any concern from the other direction, the camper battery. I'm assuming that would not be the case.

My temp fix is to wire the "house" battery to the truck one on the truck side of the separator and watch that I don't use the 12v reefer without the truck moving. Which is no problem.Once again I will post what I receive from Marty @ ATC.The 1314-200 is a fix but I was still concerned about the heat which I am told in normal but it's just not comfortable for us.
Frank

My temp fix is to wire the "house" battery to the truck one on the truck side of the separator and watch that I don't use the 12v reefer without the truck moving. Which is no problem.Once again I will post what I receive from Marty @ ATC.The 1314-200 is a fix but I was still concerned about the heat which I am told in normal but it's just not comfortable for us.
Frank

Here is the latest in the separator story. There is a thread "why did you go to ATC". Well other than the camper and what they did for me. Monday I was in contact with Marty about the separator problem.Here it is Wednesday and I have the replacement one at my house and I installed it,zip zap. That my friends is service.Thats what we want from companies we deal with.Won't beat this to death but they sure have taken care of business! If you still need this fix try this route.

This unit was pre wired by Marty and went in so easily no heat no problem.Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread,and to ATC for their fast response to the recall problem.

Frank

Attachments

• DSCN0022.jpg
    DSCN0022.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCN0023.jpg
    DSCN0023.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN0024.jpg
    DSCN0024.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN0026.jpg
    DSCN0026.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 195
Here is the latest in the separator story. There is a thread "why did you go to ATC". Well other than the camper and what they did for me. Monday I was in contact with Marty about the separator problem.Here it is Wednesday and I have the replacement one at my house and I installed it,zip zap. That my friends is service.Thats what we want from companies we deal with.Won't beat this to death but they sure have taken care of business! If you still need this fix try this route.

This unit was pre wired by Marty and went in so easily no heat no problem.Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread,and to ATC for their fast response to the recall problem.

Frank

This unit is a battery isolator, not a battery separator. The 1314 is a battery separator. I'm not very smart about electricity, but this does not appear to be a proper replacement. What am I missing?

This unit is a battery isolator, not a battery separator. The 1314 is a battery separator. I'm not very smart about electricity, but this does not appear to be a proper replacement. What am I missing?

That is correct.What I am told is that is the replacement being used by ATC.It works the same way,ie charges the two batteries and keeps the house battery from drawing on the main when the truck isn't running.I am not a electric expert either just have to rely on the info I receive from my camper builder.Has anyone gotten any info back from FWC?Just asking.
Frank

Hawk.I checked the sure power site and they give info about isolators vs separators.I think the one difference is that the separator is usually a solenoid type and they run hot which is the "problem" they are running into.I am happy with I have now vs the separator from sure power.I know there has been a lot of replies to this thread,but this can be a bad issue while out camping if the unit starts a fire.Hope you get your separator problem solved.

Frank

Hawk.I checked the sure power site and they give info about isolators vs separators.I think the one difference is that the separator is usually a solenoid type and they run hot which is the "problem" they are running into.I am happy with I have now vs the separator from sure power.I know there has been a lot of replies to this thread,but this can be a bad issue while out camping if the unit starts a fire.Hope you get your separator problem solved.

Frank

Thanks, Frank. I think I'm going to learn more about circuits and electricity before I decide what to do :)
Meanwhile, I'll just recharge if needed through a direct connection to the charging system and pull a fuse when the engine isn't running so the truck battery doesn't drain.

Back
Top Bottom