The Dog Rescue Thread

That's what I thought, too.

"They told us they were going to spay us"

Umm, man thats a serious dog pound. Not so sure I wouldnt find another one :D

They are serious about who can adopt a dog, aren't they?

Gosh, all these stories are getting me all teary eyed. Valerie and I rescued our Daisy dog from the pound 11 years ago when she was just a pup, maybe a young teenager. She looked so pathetic all curled up in the back corner shaking like a leaf. Then with a bit or persuasion from my wife, Daisy started coming to life and acting like a goof ball. We tried to adopt her that day, and the pound would not let us because we could not prove we owned our house. They wouldn't let us pay for her and come back either. They told us they were going to spay us and for us to come back tomorrow, because they wouldn't adopt her out that day. We were there an hour before the place opened the next day with our mortgage bill in our hand.
Daisy has been the best dog we ever owned. She is still shy when you come up to her too fast, and almost has a heart attack with the fire crackers, but our one in a million.

My first rescued dog stood up on his back legs, leaning against the kennel fence with a big smile on his face saying "High, I like you. Will you take me home?" I felt bad for the other dogs lying around waiting for adaption, but I couldn't resist such a friendly looking dog. It turns out he was a litter mate of the dog I already owned. Some things are just meant to be.

My second rescued dog did much as "The Saints'" did and I couldn't turn him down either. He was almost 1-1/2 years old then and almost 4 years old now and just this weekend he finally showed that he is comfortable with strange people and dogs. This was the first time I could let him off leash with out him barking at whom ever he could see. In fact he got along well with the neighbor's dog. I'm happy for him and expect him to improve a lot now that he has passed that milestone. He still has issues with people who approach quickly, and really hates fire crackers, but I hope we have long enough to fix those as well.

OOPS:D,
Fortunately my wife got out of there with out getting spayed, just Daisy.
A small error on my part.
Ed, Daisy was fairly comfortable with people, just not if they moved at her real fast. Since we had her since she was real young, she is 99% over all that but occasionally still flinches. She probably will never be over fire crackers. We live right next to the beach, so she gets to go on walks there almost daily. She plays with other dogs, but not too wild. One thing she does now, (I hate to say it) is she steals other dogs balls (lets see where that goes).

I kinda know the feeling. My wife tricked me. I thought she ask if I was ready for a nooner...not a nueter... :eek: Hubba hubba....

3 more dogs won the lottery today. I made a QUICK trip West to Grand Junction/back this AM (250 miles R/T) and returned with an 8.5 yr old golden, a 1.5 yr old Goldendoodle...and a sheperd/basenji mix (for another rescue)

they should be hitting Denver just about now... :D:thumb:

check your local shelters, folks. This economy is depositing a bunch of dogs directly into LIMBO......or worse.

mtn

So what is the routine? Do you go check the local doggie lock up and scan for a particular breed and then connect them with a rescue that has other foster homes for them. I presume the shelter is happy to get them out, you don't adopt the dogs from them do you since they usually charge?

There are a couple of ways it works.

One is that I spend a lot of time on craigslist (crazedlist) and petfinders perusing the listings looking for Goldens. I send the folks looking to divest themselves of a dog an intro email that links them to the Golden Rescue I am a member of/volunteer/transport for. Sometimes I get a response myself...sometimes I'm ignored, and sometimes i hear back that the link panned out and we secured the dog. however, most of the time I never know what happens to the animal...I can only hope and know i did what I could/used the resouces I have available to try to make a match.

I'd like to save EVERY breed...but there's only so much room and so many miles a guy can drive...so I ended up focusing mostly on the goldens because I love the breed.

Then there's the shelter hook. The local shelter knows me..so they call when a Golden arrives and I go get it.

Larger than myself, obviously...GRRR (Golden Retriever rescue of The Rockies) is a long-term entity...so shelters all over the state know our rep/what we do and they call when they get Goldens and we head out (like this AM) and get them the day they are allowed to be released from the hold where the owner can still come and get them.

Then there's the folks who surrender on their own...lost their job...moving (?),,, whatever..... we don't judge...we just focus on the DOG. Lots of these coming in these days :(

Most shelters will surrender to Rescue free of charge. I personally will anti-up at times if the circumstances warrant it or if it is a dog from the local shelter. $100 is a steal and a great tax-deductible donation to the rescue and even though I put gas in my car with my own $$$ and do a lot as it is....it is a wrthy cause in my eyes and worth every dime it may cost to save these lives and make other families as happy as my family is with our dogs. (a part of the family, for sure)

woof woof!

mtn

Our new Rescue..

Hey Mtn,

Here's our new girl Georgi, She's 9 years old and we picked her up Monday. What a love, and she gets along great with other dog Domino..a 6 year old Pointer/Dal mix (also a rescue). Sorry abt the cell phone pics, will get good ones soon.

Attachments

• georgi-2a.jpg
    georgi-2a.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 195
  • georgi-1a].jpg
    georgi-1a].jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Domino1c.jpg
    Domino1c.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 193
she's gourgeous, DeltaRat!

And THAT right there is what it's all about/why we do what we do!! :thumb:

As the slogan for our Rescue says, "A golden retriever can change your life"

and theirs... :D

good show, DR! Good show!

mtn

that is great! another golden off the street!

maybe someday he can dance with Harvey?

Attachments

• DSCN0506 copy.JPG
    DSCN0506 copy.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 174
Deltarat,

That is a good looking Golden. And good for you for getting a 9 year old, too. We are beginning to think it might be sooner rather than later for us to get another dog. Since you are local to us, who did you get her through?

Deltarat,

That is a good looking Golden. And good for you for getting a 9 year old, too. We are beginning to think it might be sooner rather than later for us to get another dog. Since you are local to us, who did you get her through?

Ted, we rescued her from her owner that couldn't keep her any more.... Had we not taken her, she would have been taken to the pound...couldn't let that happen.

This is for MtnHigh since he pointed my to this wacko border Collie, notice the herding stance, the other guy gets tired of it at times:D
554656002_uxnE4-M.jpg

On the Oregon or N. CA coast coming back from AK.

LOL. An insane/high-strung/herding Border Collie? Who woulda ever thunk it? :D

Crazy or not...he's a beautiful dog.

He is surprisingly not high strung, they have some different wiring but he wants to be a good guy and he's getting good grades. I just signed him and me up for two days of herding training, should be a hoot:eek:

The training is near Sturgis, SD, I was planning on going to Wisconsin so this is only ???? miles out of the way. Looks like I'll be adding another 14 nights in the FWC. That'll get me over 50 for the year so do I get a prize:confused:

My Pound Puppy

Here is Obi (Obidiah). We picked him up about 6 months ago. He's about 2 yrs old and still very much a puppy. He has learned very quickly and adjusted very well. He loves to go anywhere, any way and anytime!

Attachments

• IMG00014a.jpg
    IMG00014a.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG00018a.jpg
    IMG00018a.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 236
the latest "hitchhikers"....

These 2 epitomize what I feel *IS* a "Classic Golden". They were picked up together as strays and held for 5 days in a noisy shelter, and when I arrived last WEDNESDAY and they greeted me they both buried their heads in my armpits as if to say "HELP US". A bit worse for wear...but that LOVE..oh that LOVE...

After only 10 mins on the road they started to warm up...and then the licking and loving began. holy cow... "grateful" hardly describes it....

and then i get up this AM and find this. ADOPTED together...just 4 days after picking them up. I KNEW they'd be snatched up quickly...but this is amazing.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14090619

Attachments

• CO107_14090619-1-pn.jpg
    CO107_14090619-1-pn.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 202
Breaking up the Golden theme

Here are my latest 2 rescues. Sinead the German Shorthair was abandoned/lost in the back country of Glacier NP for 1-2 months and had to be carried out. When we got her 3 years ago she was emaciated, very weak and fearful. It's surprising how quickly some dogs can rebound though she still flinches when you move your hand towards her head.
Chloe the English Lab is our newest addition, from a friend who is a breeder. Chloe was next in line to be dominant female until she started getting attacked by a younger up and coming dom. female, got the **** chewed out of her.
Both dogs have figured out they have it pretty good -obviously- and get along fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 176
Mtn- You blew my cover - just kidding.
I think I'm ready for the issues with "people". My current career is psychotherapy with a specialization in Child and Adolescent treatment. My wife is in the same field, and yes we've heard the Fraser/Lilith jokes, and when she asked me about working with her first child client I told her"Oh you'll love working with the kids. It's the parents you'll want to do foul things to." Anyway, I'm looking forward to this new challenge and will keep you all posted. Barney

Back
Top Bottom