The Landscape Photography Thread

Hidden in Plain Sight...

23136970055_3916d72a76_c.jpg

On our first trip up the San Juan River, we went to Cha Canyon for the rock art. This particular example had been published, and it was so interesting looking that we wanted to find and photograph it. Several hours later, after exhausting all the easy options, we climbed up the hill to a little bench above the canyon floor. There it was, watching our every move. We came in from the canyon that is in the background, and never thought to look outside the area where most of the petroglyphs were.

I don't know what it is about this piece, but I find it very interesting. Maybe the deep dark desert varnish, maybe the design, maybe just knowing that people had been here so many years ago.

Very nice! Did this rock calve off a cliff or something? I'm wondering what made it split in two like this.

The desert south west is my most favorite place to wander. The land just feels so old. Many places, especially where there are old ruins and petroglyphs, you feel watched, like the ancient ones are just around the corner, just out of sight.

I haven't posted here in a while, haven't taken many photos in a long time for that matter. Anyway, today I drove around my local area and did some large format photography.

Conditions weren't very good, with white snow, white skies and extreme overcast/snowy conditions. Light was rather flat and everything was monochrome. My spot meter measured 14.5 EV to 16 EV, so that tells you how flat it was. I had a fun time though and found a place that I want to go back to, just down the road from me.

These photos were taken with a Zone VI 4x5 camera and a Kodak Ektar 203mm F7.7 lens. I used a minus blue (wratten 12) filter to try to bring the contrast up. Film was Foma 200 rated at 120 and I developed it in Pyrocat MC for 8.5 minutes.

Old Homestead

Old Homestead by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Winters First Snow

Winters First Snow by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Andrew, great shooting. The old homestead is my favorite. Monochrome is so cool!

To answer your question, I think the rock came off a cliff many years before the art was applied. My best guess on the split is the soil and supporting rock under the boulder washed out from under the base, and it split on a layer boundary.

I agree about the felling that the ancient ones are just around the corner, just out of sight. That they had the knowledge and technology to thrive here is deserving of a lot of respect.

I guess I will join in the monochrome, too. Dry Farm Homesteading in Central Oregon.

Taken at the Fort Rock Museum, Fort Rock, Oregon. If you're interested in this area, Reuben Long and E. R. Jackman wrote a wonderful book of short stories. The Oregon Desert. You can even learn about the merits of white-washing a rat in this read.

The spring rake is probably a McCormick...

23419610442_c745218a5e_c.jpg

The seed drill is a John Deere (or at least it has remnants of JD green)

23419985642_c4f9601038_c.jpg

Here's a shot from our recent trip down the East Side. I'm still processing the 3000 images I shot over ten days.
I hope to publish the start of our blog for this trip later this weekend.

Lone Pine Peak from Mobius Arch

A lot of really great shots here!

I thought I'd look through the countless thousands of RAW files I have and start processing them.

First up is one I shot at Chaco Canyon, New Mexico a couple years ago. It was a nice moonless night and about as dark of skies as you can get in North America.

This was processed from a single image, not a composite.

Nikon D600
Samyang 14mm F2.8 lens
F/4
25 second exposure
6400 ISO

For some reason, the Flickr photo look much more grainy and not a good representation of how it looks in Photoshop.

Chaco-at-Night-Reprocessed by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Sweet shot Andrew! Looks like the Samyang is doing a good job for you. Did you use any long exposure noise reduction (LENR)?

Yes, when you upload to Flickr, you get some compression losses that don't do the image any favors. Here's one of mine that shows fine on the iMac, yet has gradients across the sky when uploaded to Flickr.... I hate it when it does that!

23787373269_c42028f2f4_c.jpg

Great work there, Andrew. I'm guessing you wanted a bit more DOF, so chose f4 and bumped iso to 6400(!). Looks like the Nikon D600 can handle the signal/noise just fine.

Steven, I can see the stair step gradients you are talking about. I'm guessing it's the jpeg compression. I hate it too.

Back
Top Bottom