The Landscape Photography Thread

A quick trip out to John Day River country over the weekend. It was good to get out as the holiday cheer was taking its toll.
Not quite what I had in mind when we arrived at midday, snow was not much below the summit ridge on Sutton Mountain and not a cloud to be seen. Still the low angle of the sun this close to the solstice is working its magic on the Painted Hills type formations.
D600/70-200 f/2.8

Attachments

• NewYearSutton-1web.jpg
    NewYearSutton-1web.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 21
The trailer I built maybe ten years ago. The tent is a little over a year old. When I go some where that's a little ruff or unknown I tend to take the tent. If I know the roads will be halfway decent then the teardrop goes. Teardrop has heat and a Select Comfort Number bed. I started building a new off-road trailer over the Christmas weekend. I'm going to have to sell the teardrop when it's finished.

Nice perspective in B&W, Stephen. Most folks seem to shoot it more straight on, but I think the oblique perspective accentuates the delicate nature of the arch. Last time I was there was 1986, so my shots of the area are still on slides.

Perfect shutter speed, Charlie. Each thread of water is distinct with good contrast. I'll bet this is a popular spot in the fall.

Thanks Andy, I've not been there in the fall but I should go. I usually drive right by on my way to the Smokies. It's right off the Cherohala Skyway which is beautiful in the fall too.

Today was a great day for big waves.We went over for our morning walk at Point Lobos SP.
The day was sunny with great light.Also lots of whales,but out of reach for the I-Phone.
We have been enjoying some huge surf,haven't seen big waves for a long time.
Frank

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-7.jpg
    FullSizeRender-7.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 29
  • FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 29
Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
All the "rock art" fascinates me.It's amazing that over 1000's of years how clear they can be.
Frank
Frank, I worked the image over a bit to really make the darker colors pop. There is quite a bit of contrast added.

Great use of the B/W to highlight the designs. Handprints are a favorite for sure, I think this type of pictograph is pretty rare here in the Oregon.
Your pic reminded me of an area near Lake Abert I love to explore. It took me at least 3 trips to find this site and the roads are some of the worst I have been on. The conjunction of glyphs and grinding surfaces are pretty unique but to find the evidence of pigment making is pretty special. Some of these are so distinct it almost looks like they just put down their tools and walked away yesterday.

Attachments

• AbertPlateauWeb.jpg
    AbertPlateauWeb.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 45
Craggy, very nice! In addition to the rock art, I love the light in that shot. The golden grasses lead me from the (edit: rat - damn auto correct! That was supposed to be rock art. ) to the background. Well photographed!

Back
Top Bottom