The Landscape Photography Thread

Impressive work, showing the depth of the photographic trade. Really cool to get such layered images with old school gears. What are the optics to the Kodak Medallist? I assume the film is 135.

Thanks guys, I think it is going to be a great camera to use.

Andy, the Medalist uses one of the best lenses ever created, a 100 mm F3.5 Ektar lens. It is a heliar design and is known to be extremely sharp. The Army Air core in WWII II took 200 of these cameras apart to use the lenses in a binocular aerial camera they came up with since the lens was known to be the best out there.

This is a 620 film camera, basically a 120 medium format camera that takes 620 spools. So, I have to re spool 120 film onto a 620 spool in a film changing bag for me to use it.

The negatives ar 6x9, so they are roughly 6x the area of a 35mm film frame.

Lighthawk said:
Impressive work, showing the depth of the photographic trade. Really cool to get such layered images with old school gears. What are the optics to the Kodak Medallist? I assume the film is 135.
Yes very nice. I especially like number one. Thanks also for the interesting history of the camera. Cool stuff!

Thanks for the explanation, CJ. I used 120 film with a Yashika twin lense reflex many moons ago. The larger format was excellent. Sounds like you've got a remarkable lens too.

Out on the Alvord.

28863842981_a22d3eb64b_c.jpg

It's not really landscape, but interesting country and activity, none the less.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Out on the Alvord.

28863842981_a22d3eb64b_c.jpg

It's not really landscape, but interesting country and activity, non the less.
Nice shot! Black and white works really well here.

Andrew, thanks! It came out better than I expected. We didn't get there until about 11:00, and the light was pretty harsh by then. I really like monochrome...

What's left of Mann Lake.

28327653323_c9e689e76f_c.jpg

A 5 or 6 image panorama of what used to be one of the nicest fishing experiences in Oregon. This is on the east side of Steens Mountain, and north of the Alvord Desert. The lake is down about 30 vertical feet, and much smaller in surface area than when I last fished it. It holds Lahontan Cutthroat Trout, one of the real beauties of the trout world, and one of the few that can tolerate an alkaline environment. In addition to the drought, a few years back we had someone release gold fish that they were using for bait. The goldfish took over the system to the point where ODFW had to come in and kill the marine life with rotenone. There are supposedly cutthroat in there, but I didn't give it a try. The wind was strong enough to push the flies back into my face, so I just lamented the days gone by.

A sagebrush and Steens panorama, from the east side. It's the highest drivable road in Oregon. The summit is between the 'o' and 'n' in my watermark, and around 9,700. Seventeen vertical handheld frames, I thought my iMac was going to croak putting it together...

28683529834_8cdf86aa9f_c.jpg

A sagebrush and Steens panorama, from the east side. It's the highest drivable road in Oregon. The summit is between the 'o' and 'n' in my watermark, and around 9,700. Seventeen vertical handheld frames, I thought my iMac was going to croak putting it together...

28683529834_8cdf86aa9f_c.jpg
WS, can you host/post this offsite somewhere -- so we can see it more pixels wide than WTW allows?

From our recent trip through Lassen VNP - Really enjoyed the very loose gravel/ash on the very steep trail up Cinder Cone :oops: Definitely makes your boots earn their keep.

Thou Shall Follow

29553840142_46111df307_c.jpg

I found this little known, but accessible panel in a San Raphael Swell canyon. Much to my dismay when I started to edit it, I discovered that some inbred cretin had vandalized it by scratching "EFRA" over the figures at the left of the image. This is a national treasure, and an asinine twit has to ruin it for everyone. That is so disgusting.

I was able to use the clone stamp and hide it, but oh how I would like to catch someone like that.

<snip>
I was able to use the clone stamp and hide it, but oh how I would like to catch someone like that.
Oh how I wish there was a handy little handheld device we could point at degenerates, push a button, and they'd instantly say, "I am leaving and returning home immediately. I will never leave my house again and I will not reproduce."

Thou Shall Follow

29553840142_46111df307_c.jpg

I found this little known, but accessible panel in a San Raphael Swell canyon. Much to my dismay when I started to edit it, I discovered that some inbred cretin had vandalized it by scratching "EFRA" over the figures at the left of the image. This is a national treasure, and an asinine twit has to ruin it for everyone. That is so disgusting.

That's a shame.

BUT, that is an excellent image. The desert southwest is an awesome place, one of my favorite places to explore. There is so much hidden history there.

Back
Top Bottom