The Landscape Photography Thread

Over the weekend I decided to pack up my camera gear and get into the high country for some hiking and photography.

This time I chose to hike the Chasm Lake Trail which winds its way up to a high mountain lake right below Longs Peak. It is an up and back hike roughly 8.5 miles and climbs roughly 2500 ft in elevation gain.

Loaded up with three cameras, a Large Format 4x5 film camera, an old Russian Kiev rangefinder and a Sigma DP2 Merrill digital camera, I headed out.

These photos are from the Sigma DP2 Merrill digital camera. I'll post the film shots later

The first couple miles of the trail cuts through an area called Goblins Forrest. Lots of trees and streams, but uphill the whole way.

Chasm Lake Trail 9 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Chasm Lake Trail 8 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

After getting higher, the forest subsides and you get into the sub-alpine zone. A while later and you leave the trees behind completely and you are now in the Alpine zone. This is where you can first see Longs Peak on the trail.

Chasm Lake Trail 6 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

The alpine tundra is already changing to fall colors. It won't be long until the area is covered in snow.

Chasm Lake Trail 7 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Almost to the lake, I stopped for some lunch. Beef Jerky that I smoked the previous day. Not a bad spot to stop and eat.

Chasm Lake Trail 1 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Chasm Lake Trail 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

A little further up the trail. Chasm Lake is in the cirque just ahead. Unfortunately, I turned around at this point. I have been hiking and taking large format photos for about 4 hours now and that 50 lbs of gear was wearing me down. I had another 4 miles and 2000 ft of elevation drop to get back to the truck, but before I went I took a few more photos.

Chasm Lake Trail 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Chasm Lake Trail 4 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

On the way back through Goblins Forrest, only another mile to go.

Chasm Lake Trail 5 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Next time I'll bring a little less gear. The large format camera and all its accessories really weighs you down on these types of trips. Not only that, but I probably spent a good two hours talking to people about the camera. I actually spent longer talking to people and showing how the large format camera worked than actually taking pictures.

I don't mind though, it always happens when I hike with that rosewood and brass camera.

I'll update this thread as soon as I develop and scan in the 20 sheets of film I shot on this outing. I shot 14 B&W sheets ant 6 Velvia Slide film sheets.

Here's one from Harris Beach from my left coast trip this summer:

ByV7TRmTvRRFznHBR7EjnPXatQVqi7GnvFtsiD_OKbGfr6RVb_HIZNo-95ud5jPux3fIr3khthTM6A=w2560-h1440-no

An example of Barrier Canyon Style Pictographs at a well known (and heavily vandalized site, some dating to the 1880s). I think my days of publishing information about any site is going to be significantly restricted.

29506224540_fc2a0d7185_c.jpg

nikonron said:
Park, I'm not much for city scapes but I love this and would print it for the wall. Ron
Nor am I, but couldn't pass this up. I've already had a couple of people want to buy a print and I've ordered a 24x36 for my wall.

Park - Nice one. I know the location well as I grew up in Tacoma area. Wondering if this was Friday evening? We were staying in Stehekin at head of Lake Chelan and had quite a display down-lake of lenticulars around eve time. I took way too many pix (still in camera) till I got yelled at to come inside for dinner.

Quick trip to Zion. Came away with a few gems, but regretting not bringing a tripod into the narrows as bracketing was impossible without it.

LxWQ4P4.jpg

ENhViss.jpg

Xr3HkKC.jpg

aOX84H7.jpg

e57boo6.jpg

kPWylMk.jpg

8adqML0.jpg

CraggyMan said:
Park - Nice one. I know the location well as I grew up in Tacoma area. Wondering if this was Friday evening? We were staying in Stehekin at head of Lake Chelan and had quite a display down-lake of lenticulars around eve time. I took way too many pix (still in camera) till I got yelled at to come inside for dinner.
It was Friday evening.

nikonron said:
May be a bit more there yet, work it some more, Ansel would have. A bit more work on the tonal range. Ron
Probably is but I don't really know what I'm doing. The post processing can get overwhelming. I basically screwed around with it until I got something that looked OK and then went with it. I'm sure someone else could make it look better.

PacificExposure said:
Quick trip to Zion. Came away with a few gems, but regretting not bringing a tripod into the narrows as bracketing was impossible without it.
Nice stuff. Love the B/W as I'm becoming a major fan of it.

Just scouting some shots while it was getting dark at Devils Tower. There is some kind of KOA campground or something about a 1/4 mile away their headlights were painting the foreground for me. Also the moon was on the left side.

DSC00325.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Is it just me, or does anyone else expect to see a large UFO playing loud music appear shortly?

Nice blue hour capture Carl!

carld said:
Just scouting some shots while it was getting dark at Devils Tower. There is some kind of KOA campground or something about a 1/4 mile away their headlights were painting the foreground for me. Also the moon was on the left side.

DSC00325.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Lighthawk said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else expect to see a large UFO playing loud music appear shortly?

Nice blue hour capture Carl!
I figured it had to be a UFO lighting up the foreground. Devils Tower is quite the place. Very nice photo Carl!

Back
Top Bottom